• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thread with "Cow" in it for actual meat conversation

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
There was an interesting study about what happens if you achieve a utopia. It raises interesting questions about whether or not the declining birthrates we're seeing part of some natural process or reaction to over-abundance in developed nations. This is one of the reasons that some scientists and philosophers have theorized that there is a cap on the human population and nature will correct when we reach it.

I don’t disagree, and I think nature is correcting to some degree.

A certain amount of scarcity and competition is healthy. Too much or too little throws things out of whack.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any thoughts on this?

In Sri Lanka, Organic Farming Went Catastrophically Wrong​

A nationwide experiment is abandoned after producing only misery.

That is a gross oversimplification and only one of a myriad of reasons for Sri Lanka's massive issues, the primary one being a single family's corruption, malfeasance and plain incompetence has caused what was previously a functioning country cease to be so. Banning fertilizer and pesticides only scratches the surface of how badly the Rajapaksa family has screwed over that country.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
That is a gross oversimplification and only one of a myriad of reasons for Sri Lanka's massive issues, the primary one being a single family's corruption, malfeasance and plain incompetence has caused what was previously a functioning country cease to be so. Banning fertilizer and pesticides only scratches the surface of how badly the Rajapaksa family has screwed over that country.
My intended focus was agriculture, not politics.

In this case, by foregoing fertilizer, herbicides and insecticides, the crop yields were substantially reduced. With the problems of getting Ukrainian and Russian wheat to market as well as higher costs / limited supply of natural gas feedstocks for agricultural inputs, I have concerns for global food production being sufficient.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In all of history, governments telling farmers how to farm has never, ever caused a single bad thing to happen.

:rolleyes:
Tell that to the North Koreans or Chinese. In the USA I don't think farmers were ever told to do things that deceased yield. They were told at times what to plant or incentivized to cultivate certain crops over others, even paid to leave acreage fallow. Nothing even close to what is happening to the Dutch.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

Dutch farmer explains how misinformed radicals are commandeering government and judicial systems to push false, woke bullshit lies about ruminant ranching that are going to end up
  • malnourishing people
  • turning fertile grasslands into deserts
  • creating way more pollution than ranching
  • killing exponentially more animals (e.g. mice, snakes, moles, voles) than ranching ever will
Don’t believe the lies. They will tell you it’s for your health, and they have already been proven wrong. They will tell you it’s for animal cruelty, and they have already been proven wrong. They will tell you it’s for the environment and climate change, and they have already been proven wrong. They will tell you it’s only happening in far-off places, but they are intent on making it pervasive and global, including North America. They are coming for your Constitutional right to raise a livestock animal on your own damn land, and for your right to buy a steak at a grocery store.

When your state or local judge has to approve a farmer’s methods of farming before the farmer is allowed to try it, be afraid.

taxi1

pilot
You are quoting a guy who thinks global warming might lead to a better quality of life.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are quoting a guy who thinks global warming might lead to a better quality of life.
It will for some. May even cause agricultural yields to increase in some parts of the world. In the extreme, more ice free shipping may reduce shipping costs. It is all a guess, the good and bad outcomes.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
No, I’m not. And your statement is false. Cows do not cause global warming. Cows and other ruminants, in fact, are restorative to the earth. Proper holistic ranching turns deserts into fertile grasslands, thereby sequestering carbon into the soil from the atmosphere. Fact.

taxi1

pilot
No, I’m not.
From his page of other posts. I was almost right.

1659650852984.jpeg

I know that Bison were critical to the health of the plains, stirring up the soil, fertilizing it, creating micro-environments, etc., so no disagreement that cows can be a force for good. But my son works right outside of Greeley CO (you smell it before you see it) where the cows live in huge stockyards. Sharing diseases, getting massive doses of antibiotics, and very inefficiently converting calories from the earth into calories we eat.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The have-nots aren't going to just look over the fence and wish they weren't starving.
The Dude Opinion.jpg
Nature is very powerful and tends to equilibrium. Some formerly less productive areas will become more productive while other areas may become less so. People migrate. Crops can be changed. Ships change routes. Markets make adjustments. I am not losing any sleep over climate change/warming. As to starvation, it is more likely to increase due to the Ukraine war or central planning gone mad in the name of climate change than 2 degrees centigrade by itself. My two cents. I accept the meme applies to me as well. It is people with more certainty than they can support I ignore. Tell me it is your best guess, and I will listen.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really, that’s the problem. Look at how current refugee crises have destabilized lots of places. Multiply it by a lot.
Refugees do not equate to controlled migration. Any of the number of disasters doom sayers are predicting will take place over decades. People will just sell off and move gradually. And no one will be abandoning whole cites. As long as there is work, people will be there for the right wage/cost of living. I really have not seen an analysis that takes into consideration both mitigating factors or "positive" out comes of climate change and the roundly assumed negative ones. You can not contend there will not be some positive outcomes, even assuming the worst changes in climate. Only question is what will the balance be.