• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

thoughts on war with Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey

I'd like to be as eloquent as some of you, but I'm unsure of US policies abroad as I probably will be forever. Here's a link that brings to light what may become of Iraq's political state after we invade.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/24/opinion/24KRIS.html

Go Get 'Em

Jonathan Williamson

I have been thinking about this topic a great deal lately, and in fact our OSO had an open discussion at the Pool Function today concerning the possible war with Iraq. There was a lot of good stuff discussed and there were some questions regarding our Commander in Chief, but it was universally acknowledged that we are not permitted the option of questioning legal orders. So basically this is what I personally see as the main points:

1) Iraq has WMD
2) Iraq (Saddam) has a history of invading neighbors
3) Iraq is not disarming fully, even according to Blix
4) The Iraqi people are suffering greatly and have been for something like 25 years now under Saddam
5) Saddam has an extensive secrete police and intelligence organization
6) Saddam tried to kill the first Pres Bush
7) Saddam's goals are to dominate his region

Therefore with that said, what are some negatives about the current situation?

1) The US is extending itself into a war that it will have to nearly completely fund
2) The US lacks support from some important allies
3) Saddam will likely use WMD against any invading army
4) The US also has "tension areas" in Afgan, N Korea, the entire Middle East, etc...and this will detract from that to an extent

After carefully listening to what others views and opposing views I feel that the US must go in, or risk inviting another Sept 11th scale attack. Bin Laden was encouraged, according to his own words, by the evaporation of US committment to Somolia after a dozen US Army Rangers were killed in the capital and I feel that pulling back from the principle of a fully disarmed Iraq will only encourage Saddam to risk invasions into neighboring countries once he has a nuclear weapon to deter the world community. If he goes nuclear then the costs in US lives WILL be much higher then it would be now. Furthermore, by waiting we are allowing him to murder thousands of his own people and commit limitless human rights violations.

I just hope that in the bad situation that Saddam has placed us that we can minimize civilian and US casualties.

Status
Not open for further replies.