• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thoughts on the T-34

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
You know the only time I ever experienced the seat drop was in the simulator... Never happened in the actual plane.

The T-34 was is a great plane for primary. In my opinion they should just build new 34's and not waste money on T-6's. Of course the one thing they need to improve is the AC.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Good point...I was going to say something, but after reading this I realized that I probably just have not even been paying attention (only finished Fam 4 today)

Well what do you know, you are my on-wing's other on-wing. Did he hook you up with the killer foamies?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seat drop

I've had the seat drop during a variety of instances... initial strap in, straight and level, and the break. Sometimes the pins aren't extending enough to properly hold it, especially when Gs are applied. Also, since the seat can "rock" forward and aft ever so slightly, I'm guessing that if you rock it enough the seat pins will come out a bit. This would cause an instantaneous seat drop (as evidenced when straight and level or on the ground). Either way, it's a POS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As far as the "no pain 'til the end of primary" thing Gator, I can't agree there. I have had lots of Turboweenie induced asspain since Fam-1...and God knows I don't have the SA in the plane to be worrying about extraneous crap.

Yeah, everyone's milage may vary. But for someone who's asking the question on a website, there's more pressing issues to worry about.

He is fun as hell to fly with though because every time he shifts around, the entire f'ing plane moves. "Hey Sir, you mind sitting still for a few minutes back there? I'm trying to keep my stepdown :D"

"Big Bob" is a bid guy, but good people. If you go on the road with him, bring reinforcements. I think he's part fish.

gotta_fly

pilot
You know the only time I ever experienced the seat drop was in the simulator...

Nice to know the T-34 sim includes ultra-realistic simulated casualties... kudos to the engineer who thought to include the lousy seat pins! :icon_tong

whitman

My IP was getting a couple currency landings from the back seat at Barin in Contacts and we are coming around the 90 and I hear this loud bang and look in my mirrors and see his little head duck below the horizon (he was a little guy). I put my hands near the controls and ask if he wants me to take controls but he insists he can still land. He does (not the prettiest) and tells me to climb 200' higher on downwind (1100 I think) and push the stick forward to give him zero G so he can get the seat up. I didn't know how far forward so I slammed the stick forward. Seat goes flying up and his head hit the canopy! I then abruptly pulled back again and his seat went all the way back to the floor! Who would've though -2 G's was too much!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
"Big Bob" is a bid guy, but good people. If you go on the road with him, bring reinforcements. I think he's part fish.

My liver is still recovering from my XC with him 4 months ago.

Come to think of it, he still owes me money. . .:eek:

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
My IP was getting a couple currency landings from the back seat at Barin in Contacts and we are coming around the 90 and I hear this loud bang and look in my mirrors and see his little head duck below the horizon (he was a little guy). I put my hands near the controls and ask if he wants me to take controls but he insists he can still land. He does (not the prettiest) and tells me to climb 200' higher on downwind (1100 I think) and push the stick forward to give him zero G so he can get the seat up. I didn't know how far forward so I slammed the stick forward. Seat goes flying up and his head hit the canopy! I then abruptly pulled back again and his seat went all the way back to the floor! Who would've though -2 G's was too much!

The VT-27 SOP now (or it did) specifically contain verbiage saying you shall not use zero g's for seat adjustment. When I put a young Marine's head through the canopy during a night RI (INAV) flight in late 2000 they decided to make a rule against it. FWIW, it was not a negative G pushover. The motivated Marine (and I) way understimated how easily the seat would come up with zero g's. He pushed up very hard. Result...90% of the rear canopy in Corpus Christi bay, one TOFA report, one hole in the horizontal stab, one hole in the vertical stab, one unable to select due to med down SNA with a concusion and a public (in front of the IPs) ass chewing by the CO.

You could say I remember the seat problem.