• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things to Remember for TBS

NapalmRat

I just finished week 1 with charlie co. If you're coming to TBS anytime in the near future, here are my tips as a week 1 veteran:

be patient
read warfighting
order olive drab nametapes before you get here (about 6)
get your ID taken care of before you get here
get your DoD decal taken care of before you get here
be patient
dont unpack when u get here, cuz u'll move at least once
you are no longer candidates. don't be the one who stands up and says 'this candidate.'
the autobiography format is on the net already, find it and write as much of it as you can. if they change the format at least you wasted time at home instead of here.
dont come injured
if u wanna prepare for tbs physically, do combat conditioning. you won't be in iraq wearing silkies, and u wont prepare for iraq by do silky pt here. boots and utes running, packs, rifle pt
get used to eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches instead of chow hall food :)
make about 18000 copies of every thing ur told to bring here. the one document u dont copy will get lost.
bring a flash drive.
be patient

this is just from week one, but applies to all of tbs anyway. i'll post more as the weeks progress if i can continue to 'borrow' internet

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Great advice .... and yes, you will have a whole new list just as long next week. Brings back some memories ... yikes

Carno

Insane
How does one get their ID taken care of before TBS? I was told by my OSO and several others that there is no way I can get an ID until I check in.

Thanks for the gouge.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
To modify the list:

Some companies require you to label your gear with MARPAT nametapes, vice olive-drab. These are just as easy to order online, and might be cheaper.

A few years ago, the pubs were issued as a huge stack of paper that we put into 4 3-inch 3-ring binders, but there was talk of issuing CD's instead. What's the current situation?

A computer is a must. Windows is preferable, and MS Word is highly recommended. When you get assigned roommates, ensure at least one has a printer (printer/scanner/copier is recommended).

Become familiar with the Scholar Ship (teachers' supply store in Garrisonville). They have a nice little TBS section, and they do laminations.

Get a good red-lens flashlight that won't die after 2 hours of use.

Reactions: E5B

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
They issue some paper pubs and the cd's...sometimes. Printing your own pubs out is an expensive pain in the ass. I'd rather have the hard copies.

You can get your ID before you get to Quantico at any reserve center in your hometown. Call them, find out their hours and what they'll require you to bring. If you're married do the same for your wife. The DEERS office in Little Hall is an F-show and you'll wait for 4-5 hours easily.

Different companies do different things with the nametapes. I wouldn't order them before checking in and finding out what your SOP is going to be.

As far as showing up broken...if you're broken you don't really have a choice. You'll go through zero week until medical and then you'll drop to Mike Co. This isn't the place to hide your injuries like OCS. If you have to heal a legitimate injury, take the time and do it and get back in the game. Mike Co. should be avoided but it isn't the end of the world.

Napalm, get your own damn internet and quit stealing ours. Our bandwidth is all to shit because of Charlie "borrowing" it.

JMMH

Ugh.
Shopping lists from Quantico included: hard candy (such as Skittles), beef jerky, and (yuck) 'dip.'

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
If you're in SOCAL.. March ARB is a great place to get a new ID. Its about 5 times quicker than going throug the JRC down at Camp Pen. However, if you're getting vehicle tags you'll need to hit the JRC... after which your officer tags will read "MCB CAMP PENDLETON" underneath them. The word I received is that this will have to be changed at Quantico to - MCB QUANTICO -- or whatever designation they use.

What gear items will they have us label with nametapes --- I'm assuming daypack, flak.. ?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
This is the kind of posts we need on here. Programs and schools are constantly changing, even if it's ever so slightly. This is what I'd like to see rather than having the saltier folks tell the wannabe to """"DO A SEARCH"""" on the site.

One thing that won't change about TBS is "waiting for the word". That's where the "be patient" comes to play.

For those of you at TBS or waiting to go: have fun with it, Pensacola is just a few months away.