• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

These guys may have some explaining to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
hornetframer said:
The only way a Hornet can break the sound barrier while carrying tanks (them coming from Cali means tanks) is if they are in a steep dive at full power or they just got new engines and a new full aircraft paint job.

Yo dawg...my new Hornet ride is tripped out, yo. Itz got a PlayStation2 AND an xBox youknow, DVD, VCR, GPS navigation. I got dis phatazz paint job too, yo, it adds like .4 mach on the top end, youknowwhatimsayin? Man, those hos love that ride...it getz a lot of attention from the girls, what with da strobes goin and the music blarin and the afterburner...uh...burnin...

And because you can never make fun of Frankie Muniz too much:

fast%20and%20furious%20jetta.jpg

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, I've been asked by a few what a FNAEB is so here is the summary/Cliff Notes Version. (Disclaimer: this isn't the all comprehensive instruction, it's just my summary for those who are unfamiliar. OPNAVINST 3710 and other documents will describe a FNAEB in infinite detail if you desire.)

A FNAEB is a Fleet Naval Aviator Evaluation Board. Whenever there is a mishap or alleged wrongdoing/Violation a CO will convene a FNAEB. With a mishap, there will almost always be a FNAEB for any survivors (Think Maverick :icon_smil ) to determine if there is any responsibility for the individual. The board is administrative in nature and is not legal prosecution. They pretty much determine your fitness/future as an Aviator.

The board will be made up of experienced aviators either from within your squadron or a related command (Normally same platform) and there will be a Flight Surgeon too. There will be a senior member who will conduct the board, but it will not be the CO (or the convening authority if it isn't the CO). The board pretty much investigates whatever incident and makes recommendations to the CO/Navy about the individuals. They will interview witnesses, question the subjects, review evidence (such as the wreckage), look into your past performance (yes, they see your flight school grades), etc. They will also use their common sense and professional opinions.

Here is a BIG caveat though, a FNAEB is seperate from any mishap investigation board. The products/testimony of a Mishap board is confidential and CANNOT be used in a FNAEB. (One of the main goals of the mishap board is to discover the truth about what happened so other lives can be saved/protected. They aren't about prosecution). So whatever someone tells a mishap board cannot be used by the FNAEB. This is also why we have to be so careful about the priveleged Mishap Reports we get to see as Naval Aviators, the info can be "dangerous" to many in the wrong hands. (This is why we get so spooled up on this board when people begin to speculate about a mishap).

The FNAEB board can recommend many different things, some of the possibilities are:
1. No wrongdoing, continue on your great career.
2. You screwed up, probation for you!
3. You screwed up bad, no more flying tailhook a/c for you, but you can still fly other planes.
4. You really screwed up bad, no more flying for you ever, but you get to continue wearing wings.
5. You Really screwed up BIG TIME, no more flying, no more wings.

The board can make other recommendations as they see fit (like sending back to the RAG for retraining), but this will do for now.

After the board makes their recommendation it will go through the chain of command. The CO will get a chance to make further recommendations, your CAG will get a chop and so will your Strike Group Commander (Admiral). After that it will go to either AIRPAC or AIRLANT (based on where you are). They are the final authority and will forward to BUPERS the final outcome.

I'm sure that there are others on the board here who can help if I left anything out, but this should answer most questions about a FNAEB. I Hope you never have to go through one!

EDIT: if a moderator thinks this would be more appropriate as a thread all to it's own, please feel free!

KBayDog

Hoover,

Thanks for the info. Realistically, though, are the findings "inflated?" In other words, is a finding of anything other than "1. No wrongdoing, continue on your great career" a career-ender?

For example if you put in a package for a special billet, commission, etc., anything other than "Recommended with Enthusiasm" is usually grounds for your package winding up in the round file.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
FNAEB boards that I witnessed were almost always politically motivated when a Class A mishap isn't involved. Obvioulsy a Class A mishap and there is a finding of either pilot judgement or disregard for policy/Natops/SOP etc then I think FNAEB's have a place. But things get blurred when you put personalities and agendas in the mix.

As Naval Aviators we should take care of our own and protect each other - at all costs. At the ready-room / wardroom level. If a squadron CO is doing a good job, things should never have to get to a formal "board" if it's not part of a Mishap..

Tailhook happened during my generation - and while it wasn't the most positive reflection of Naval Aviation, the Leadership (O-5's and above) should have protected fellow aviators from the rath of the politically correct. My point is the correct and tradition based culture of Navy Air is that being an aviator (or NFO) means you are protected from the system of non-aviators. Your squadronmates and squadron leadership protect you no matter what and work to keep any issues private and taken care of at the squadron level.

No "shoe" or civillian should ever stand in judgement of the performance pof someone who wears wings.

While I'm on this rant - I've seen some disturbing command pictures of O-5's wearing Wings and SWO Pin - what is up with that?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
HooverPilot said:
The FNAEB board can recommend many different things, some of the possibilities are:
1. No wrongdoing, continue on your great career.
2. You screwed up, probation for you!
3. You screwed up bad, no more flying tailhook a/c for you, but you can still fly other planes.
4. You really screwed up bad, no more flying for you ever, but you get to continue wearing wings.
5. You Really screwed up BIG TIME, no more flying, no more wings.

Good definitions and there is an assigned letter code to the above.

1. A1
2. A4
3. A2 (or is it A3?)
4. B1
5. B2

I'll jump on and say it's definitely not fun to be involved in a FNAEB. Almost always, a Class A mishap will result in a FNAEB if the aviators survived. There are cases where it can be waived upon a CO's request if the mishap is known not to have been caused by pilot error. An example is VAW-116's mishap back in 2000 I believe. Mulitple bird strikes during night FCLP's caused a flame out of one, then both engines of the E-2C. The aircraft bellied into a field and split in half. A FNAEB was waived. There's been some second hand guessing as to what that crew should have done but that's for another thread.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
are the findings "inflated?" In other words, is a finding of anything other than "1. No wrongdoing, continue on your great career" a career-ender?

For example if you put in a package for a special billet, commission, etc., anything other than "Recommended with Enthusiasm" is usually grounds for your package winding up in the round file.

The book answer is no it shouldn't. HOWEVER, like Chuck and Bunk said, there is a lot of political crap that goes along with a FNAEB.

A FNAEB board is administrative in nature and can be used to clear your good name if despite your heroic efforts, something still went wrong. I can name at least 6 people who have gone on to successful careers post FNAEB & at least 3 of them had the probation type results. Of course I can also introduce you to a few that no longer have wings. My humble opinion is that a quality officer can overcome a probation result from a FNAEB & I would be willing to bet that some could even overcome leaving the Tailhook Navy, but if you cannot fly anymore, I think your career is pretty much over.

I think a FNAEB is probably noted on a fitrep too. So, like Chuck said, that can be perceived as an obstacle if an outsider was trying to interpret it. I don't know how much a SWO Officer would know about this process but they still will be on some career boards and will be passing a judgement on you.

Clear as mud?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk,

You must be talkin about Dingle. He was a great instructor here at VT-7. He just left about 2 weeks ago.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
EODDave said:
Bunk,

You must be talkin about Dingle. He was a great instructor here at VT-7. He just left about 2 weeks ago.

Yep. I cruised with him back in 99 when we were both nuggets. Good dude and glad to hear he was a good IP.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
HooverPilot said:
The book answer is no it shouldn't. HOWEVER, like Chuck and Bunk said, there is a lot of political crap that goes along with a FNAEB.

A FNAEB board is administrative in nature and can be used to clear your good name if despite your heroic efforts, something still went wrong. I can name at least 6 people who have gone on to successful careers post FNAEB & at least 3 of them had the probation type results. Of course I can also introduce you to a few that no longer have wings. My humble opinion is that a quality officer can overcome a probation result from a FNAEB & I would be willing to bet that some could even overcome leaving the Tailhook Navy, but if you cannot fly anymore, I think your career is pretty much over.

I think a FNAEB is probably noted on a fitrep too. So, like Chuck said, that can be perceived as an obstacle if an outsider was trying to interpret it. I don't know how much a SWO Officer would know about this process but they still will be on some career boards and will be passing a judgement on you.

Clear as mud?

To add to this, I had a FNAEB board for my class A back in 03. Not fun but required in my situation. I was given an A4 with 6 months probation. I wouldn't say it effected my FITREP a to much. I didn't have a bad FITREP, I just didn't stand out like I did on my first sea tour. The new skipper that came onboard definitely had issues with me because I was a mishap pilot. Though he never read anything about what happened; he just made up his mind that I was a ****bag. Can it affect a FITREP? Only if the CO wants it to and it probably depends on the outcome of the board. Any B series will probably be very bad for ones future. My FNAEB isn't mentioned anywhere and so far hasn't been a concern with my new command at all. I'm still in the running for O-5 and command. This tour will pretty much decide how strong a player I will be at the board in 07.

Status
Not open for further replies.