• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

These guys may have some explaining to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
I'd like to know where Meat stands on this issue ;)

Brett

Happy to oblige.

Personally, I don't think a Hornet can't break the number at sea level while carrying tanks. The can come close depending on density altitude, etc but I will give them the benefit of doubt since I assume they were cross country birds and at least double bubble.

As for the reaction at an AF base. Normal AF pattern is a break at 2500' AGL with a 2000' AGL pattern and the AF rarely come in faster than 350 KIAS. So, the tower controller clears them for a carrier break (not knowing what it is) and they come in at 500 KIAS or so at 800' for the break and 600' on the downwind. Sounds a lot different to people on the ground compared to the usual traffic.

Now, one of the best breaks I was every in was at 29 Palms Expeditionary Airfield. The field is in a restricted area (no 250 KIAS <10k' issue). We were pushing 500 KIAS in the break (fast for an Intruder) and hit 7.2 G on the meter. :eek: Now this was a hot pump and go back to NUW so a quick check of the box in the nose wheel well showed that we didn't really pull more than 6G, so we got our gas and left. Turns out the box was bad but since we only 1800# of gas, there was no overstress. :icon_smil

Best in Prowler was taking a slick bird to SDLM. Checked in with Pensacola tower VFR at 10k' (yes, 10,000') overhead. This was Saturday and we were cleared #1 for the carrier break from 10,000. :eek: The story stops there for the newbies to protect the innocent but the fleet guys can use their imagination (one hint: 2 mile abeam distance). ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Noise complaint

SteveG75 said:
Happy to oblige.
That wasn't quite the angle I was after (noise complaint), Meat, but good story nonetheless.

Brett

H20man

Drill baby drill!
being a native san diegan and navy brat i love when miramar is doing flight ops. (not to mention ive gotten to play in the sim a few years ago and when i was a little guy i got a tour of the hangers when topgun was still there

yeah and SD residents ***** like no other, considering the base has been there for a long ass time, i remeber when they were running proposals on the new flight paths the aircraft would take, move it out of one area and over another and they still *****, then you get the new ppl in there *****ing too.

from what i remeber all the new route was pretty much restricted to I-15, but where i lived in poway and just got back from visiting, we would see em fly over, and i know when im sitting by the pool in 75 degree weather with no clouds i enjoy a fly over compared to sitting in cold NY.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
The only way a Hornet can break the sound barrier while carrying tanks (them coming from Cali means tanks) is if they are in a steep dive at full power or they just got new engines and a new full aircraft paint job. More than likely this is not the case. Just some biznitches whining!!!

SteveG75

None
hornetframer said:
The only way a Hornet can break the sound barrier while carrying tanks (them coming from Cali means tanks) is if they are in a steep dive at full power or they just got new engines and a new full aircraft paint job. More than likely this is not the case. Just some biznitches whining!!!

ABSOLUTELY!!! I remember when they wanted a Hornet to do a supersonic fly-by for the tiger cruise airshow. Only way he could do it was completely slick...no tanks... no pylons...nothing. Of course, good thing fopr him we had tankers airborne.

Hornet = slowest supersonic fighter in the world.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I went M 1.5 in the back seat of an F-15B out of Eglin (over the water of course!)

I remember how shocked the thing through M 1 - I mean it happened in no time at all as I went through each zone of AB. Was pretty cool. One of only five times I've even been in a jet and the only airforce one at that. This jet had quite a few external tanks on as well as AIM-9's on the wings (the blue ones)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
hornetframer said:
of course we are all speculating on this, but just because they came from Cali doesn't mean they were loaded with tanks ... single centerline you can make it from Cali to the East coast with two stops (and the news article mentioned they were coming in from Pensacola which would've been their 2nd stop for gas) ... if they were single centerline, it's possible they broke the number, especially if they were unloading from the initial

besides the obvious rules violations, another thing being missed here, whether they were mach 1 or mach .98, is the blatent disregard to the Navy/Marine Corps policy of 350kts/4Gs in the break put in place last year due to the Hornets FLE issue ... i'm wondering if my squadron is the only squadron following this regulation?

S/F

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
^ Just for my benefit, what does FLE stand for?
Fatigue Life Expenditure - basically, certain structures, especially wings, can only flex under loading so many times before they fail, crack, etc. The 50 pound heads get together and decide how many 4/5/6G hits an airframe can take before those components "expire." What it boils down to is that each airframe has a certain number of hits on it, so the community tries to manage it with restrictions on certain maneuvers, etc.

Brett

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Has there been any resolution of this? Did they or did they not break the sound barrier in the break? I want to say no so I can give my friend in Tampa hell for believing the newspapers.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chances are what they heard/felt were other aircraft breaking the number offshore more than 30 miles away. The shock wave can go for a while and you'll feel it hear it.
I lived north of NAS Mirmamar for 10 years (just under the Julian 9 dept in fact).
Never had anyone break the number in the break. But felt lots of offshore booms come rolling in and rattle the windows. Some may have been Camp Pendleton ground ordnance in my case, but I know some were aircraft as my squadron was flying then.

Unless they actually saw the jet in the break and watched their Elvis Pressley collector dish fall off the window at the same time...I doubt that was it.

G

SteveG75

None
UInavy said:
Yet still faster than the prowler!!

For five minutes till the Hornet hits ladder and has to go to high holding and max conserve to make the next recovery.

When a Hornet can fly a 1350A entry/1355 without running out of gas, we'll talk.

For those that don't know, two spectacular low levels out of Whidbey. VR1350 Pt A is about 20nm east of NUW. Over the Cascades and down the Columbia valley at 500' to Boardman. Then, pick up the VR1355 up the spine of the cascades 200NM back to NUW. About a 1+30 hop with 1+15 at 500 feet and as fast as you can go. Take off with 20k of gas, land with 3k.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
When a Hornet can fly a 1350A entry/1355 without running out of gas, we'll talk.

QUOTE]

A E/F can do that. I flew the F/A-18F and it was like a Tomcat with regard to fuel amount and consumption...

r/
G

SteveG75

None
Schnuggapup said:
A E/F can do that. I flew the F/A-18F and it was like a Tomcat with regard to fuel amount and consumption...

r/
G

Hey, another reason for the G to go to NUW. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.