• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"THE WORD" at tbs right now about API

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
For 2ndLt's PCS to MATSG-21, have they completed IFS with the Quantico Flying Club? Complete @ P-Cola? Or just receive stash jobs while waiting for IFS-API?

IFS complete? I don't think anyone has had a chance to do IFS. It's in P'Cola now anyways.

helmetfire

Current Air contract situation

I am in fox company right now and was wondering what TBS did with the B co. air contacts. They have been telling us that language school is our best bet on what the Marine Corps is doing with us so if anyone has any word on how the langue school is that would be great. Thanks

Reconjoe

I am in fox company right now and was wondering what TBS did with the B co. air contacts. They have been telling us that language school is our best bet on what the Marine Corps is doing with us so if anyone has any word on how the langue school is that would be great. Thanks

Classes happen at Marry Washington University (15 minutes south of TBS). You show up to class from 0900 to 1445, you take a ten minute break for every 50, and you get 1 hour for lunch. Civilian attire everyday, and creepy Hawaiian shirt Fridays are optional. Saturdays and Sundays off. You will have maybe 1 or 2 mando PT events (the CFT and you may run into a PFT although we have not done a PFT yet). You may have some of your mornings taken up to get your grey belts (so 3 times a week 0600 to 0800) until you test out. Also, there will be alot of online marinenet and navynet classes to take to prepare for API, but no big deal...actually you're getting all that crap out of the way now so you wont have to worry about it at Pensacola.
Otherwise, the rest of the time is your's to spend as you please. You'll get BAH to live of base. If you test out on your language, you get language pay.

Not a bad deal at all.

Details subject to change

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot

Language school isnt bad. Learning a language for 5 hours a day everyday gets a little repetitive and your stuck in Quantico, but its a chill atmosphere which is a nice change of pace after 6 months of tbs. You get the opportunity to take the DLPT at the end which has the potential to give you extra money each month and finishing the "block II" of the RCLF program is part of the curriculum. The way they talk, this RCLF stuff is going to end up becoming PME for Officers so your getting it knocked out right off the bat. Plus, your learning a language which really does have its benefits.

All in all, language training has its pros and cons, but I would say that the pros really do outweigh

helmetfire

Much appreciated Theblackness and reconjoe. Did you guys move off base when you started language school? Did they still offer you a place to stay on base?

msandrews

livin' the dream
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

From what I heard, they had a whole lot of fun running the PET for IOC Indoc. Can you say hydrate?

I hate to say it, but the CET wasn't even close to the hardest thing at IOC. We did have a few heat cases though. Can anyone say hottest june/july ever?

anyways. we all check-in to 1/23 tomorrow. totally worth it in the end.

sanders

Much appreciated Theblackness and reconjoe. Did you guys move off base when you started language school? Did they still offer you a place to stay on base?

Yes, language students are living off base. You get 1350 per month BAH, so it is a good deal as long as you have roommates to split the rent with. If you wanted to live on base, you might be able to find a spot in one of the BOQ's on mainside. If you have a family you might be able to get a house on base... but if you are single I would definitely recommend living off base. And since the classes are in Fredericksburg, I would recommend living anywhere between Fredericksburg and Woodbridge. Some guys decided to live in the DC area, and they have over a 45 minute drive which sucks.

ConsiderItDone

Marine Officer
Classes happen at Marry Washington University (15 minutes south of TBS). You show up to class from 0900 to 1445, you take a ten minute break for every 50, and you get 1 hour for lunch. Civilian attire everyday, and creepy Hawaiian shirt Fridays are optional. Saturdays and Sundays off. You will have maybe 1 or 2 mando PT events (the CFT and you may run into a PFT although we have not done a PFT yet). You may have some of your mornings taken up to get your grey belts (so 3 times a week 0600 to 0800) until you test out. Also, there will be alot of online marinenet and navynet classes to take to prepare for API, but no big deal...actually you're getting all that crap out of the way now so you wont have to worry about it at Pensacola.
Otherwise, the rest of the time is your's to spend as you please. You'll get BAH to live of base. If you test out on your language, you get language pay.

Not a bad deal at all.

Details subject to change

Do we get to choose our language of study, because I would like to pick up an Asiatic language if possible. It kinda goes with a life a plan of mine, and if I can get paid to do it, then why the hell not.

Cross fingers, await reply.

AJB37

Do we get to choose our language of study, because I would like to pick up an Asiatic language if possible. It kinda goes with a life a plan of mine, and if I can get paid to do it, then why the hell not.

Cross fingers, await reply.

Negative, you'll get placed in one of the four languages based on how you do on the DLAB. I got my last choice of language...

ConsiderItDone

Marine Officer
Negative, you'll get placed in one of the four languages based on how you do on the DLAB. I got my last choice of language...

What are the four languages right now? Honestly I love languages so I'm down to learn whatever, an Asiatic just would have been icing on the cake.