• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Warrants have arrived

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Maybe I missed it, but why not tailhook aircraft only? why not all communities?

Because tailhook communities are not as heavy with JOs. P-3s have 5 officers on them... that means there is less chance of going up the chain and getting command of a squadron vice a single seat hornet squadron.

bobbybrock

None
NTAC,
There are a few problems with your theory. As others in the know have stated, the Army CWO program and Navy program are not alike.
So here goes your theory on longevity in the cockpit. All the CWO pilots in the navy will have prior enlisted time so they may chose to leave the service at the 20 year mark.
On the Army side we have a pretty high turn over rate for that very reason. You only get about ten years out of an E-6 who goes warrant. Of the 15 warrant officer pilots from my class I only saw three on the CW4 list. Most had left the service at the 20 year mark. Of the three, two had no prior enlisted time. The other guy was only enlisted for about 2 years.
I think you might be just a little over your head here. Also, being compared to the Sketerman is not a good thing.

1rotorhead

pilot
If the tailhook communities are so heavy then why was the DH screen board for VFA so brutal? HS community had a much higher screen rate than VFA.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the tailhook communities are so heavy then why was the DH screen board for VFA so brutal? HS community had a much higher screen rate than VFA.

Have you looked at the promotion rates to O-4 for those communities? The HS guys were pretty brutal with their selection rate there, not bad at all in VFA. The difference was dramatic in some cases........:eek:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I am a firm believer in the flying CWO program. We have had 2 of our best aviators (one a pilot, one an NFO) in the squadron that are CWO's. The pilot is now an IP, doing the pilot training job, the NFO was NFO Natops and now is at the wing. These guys were both considered to be about the best at the squadron, and weren't treated any different than us JO's.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Holy thread resurrection. While we are on the topic, though, we have seen a mixed bag in TACAMO. A few superstars, a few duds, and a handful of average joes. Not terribly shocking.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Way old thread but yeah, standard percentages here. For every 10 guys, you will have 2-3 rock stars, 2-3 bottom feeders and the rest average. Nothing new here.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Way old thread but yeah, standard percentages here. For every 10 guys, you will have 2-3 rock stars, 2-3 bottom feeders and the rest average. Nothing new here.
Same here in the Army..for warrant or RLO. Neither group has the market cornered on superstars or NTACs.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Have yet to see any rockstar warrants. Seen some average, some below, and more than a couple with big chips on their shoulders. Those were prior aircrew, though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have yet to see any rockstar warrants. Seen some average, some below, and more than a couple with big chips on their shoulders. Those were prior aircrew, though.
What is with the chip on the shoulder behavior? It's always been as thing some priors have, but it seems to be on the rise. I don't understand that way of thinking.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My dad was a NavCad that selected Marines and winged in 1954. He went on to fly Hellcats in advanced, Panthers with VMA-223 and later AD's. Worked ok for him.

I & RonDebMar, and several other AWs are ex-Navcads. I selected Navy and winged in 1958. Basic performanee allowed my choice of jets. Went on to fly T-33s & Cougars in advanced, Furys & Skyhawks in 5 fleet squadrons. Worked fine for me, also.

I must add that never at any time was my commissioning source a cause of 'less than equal' treatment. As a matter of fact, during my 2 combat deployments in VA-146, both '66 & '67 'Front Offices' were USNA; as were 50% of the remaining LCDR/JOs! At no time EVER, was I treated differently regarding commissioning source. It also goes to show that when the gong rings, source is a non-player when you must trust each other in combat with your lives.
***IMHO..."Ring Knockers Rock"!*** :cool:
BzBCorry T-34.jpg

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Whaaaat? Prior crewman with attitudes? It ain't true...:cool:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Prior enlisted /= rockstar. Of the 80ish people in my NSI class, 12 didn't even make it through college. Turds are turds no matter what. The guys with attitudes probably had them when they were enlisted too. It's interesting how the front office can view people with regards to officer potential versus how their peers and senior enlisted view them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prior enlisted /= rockstar. Of the 80ish people in my NSI class, 12 didn't even make it through college. Turds are turds no matter what. The guys with attitudes probably had them when they were enlisted too. It's interesting how the front office can view people with regards to officer potential versus how their peers and senior enlisted view them.
I've also sat on a number of STA-21 interview boards for Sailors that were in no way, shape or form what most people would consider "officer material." I think some commands have a hard time saying no to people, even though they're unqualified mentally or from a maturity standpoint.