• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The UNOFFICIAL list of things to bring to OCS

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
At least I never had them go through my stuff.
The DI's never went through anything that was locked. They typically don't go into desk drawers, either, although they are fair game for hurricanes.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Pill_Hacker said:
You're going to be a SWO aren't you...

The exact same thing came to mind when I read that too, lol...

Nothing's wrong with an '07 thread, other than those guys have been gone from OCS for two years and things have changed dramatically - including location. But it doesn't hurt to revive a thread and have current or more recent commissioned officers recommend items and tips for OCS. I think there was another more recent thread already in the works though.

I'm sure that if you showed up to RI with only what was listed on your orders that you'd make it through OK but not as easy as some...but being a USNA mid wouldn't you know some of the tricks and tips to use and items to bring as well? I know from being former AFROTC I had some methods and tips that worked well for our uniforms, gear, studying, etc.

Renegade One

None
Time to FOCUS here...

I'd just worry about packing enough motivation and determination to do well. Everything else you NEED willl be issued to you. But those first two things you gotta bring on your own. Everything else is rubbish.

Mop 'N' Glow...cell phones...painter's tape...YGBSM...

ExcaliburUSN

Ok, clue me in, what's the SWO thing have to do with anything? I could just as easily have gotten into Intel with my GPA and package, I applied for SWO so that if I dont get picked up on my first app to BUD/S I can resubmit easier.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Just the way that you responded. Pilot-types have a certain way of typing/talking and their thought process, humor, overall attitude, etc. SWO/Intel/IW/whatever has their own ways of discussion, and it shows in how you worded your questions. Nothing wrong with it, it's just interesting in how everyone responds or acts a certain way and then how they line up with certain job pipelines.

You seemed very proper or formal in your choice of words and almost uptight about it, whereas a pilot would instead respond easygoing and/or with some type of crude humor or sarcasm about the situation. Like I said, it's interesting to get a feel for people without physically meeting or communicating with them. No harm meant with any of it...

blarged

ready
Just the way that you responded. Pilot-types have a certain way of typing/talking and their thought process, humor, overall attitude, etc. SWO/Intel/IW/whatever has their own ways of discussion, and it shows in how you worded your questions. Nothing wrong with it, it's just interesting in how everyone responds or acts a certain way and then how they line up with certain job pipelines.

You seemed very proper or formal in your choice of words and almost uptight about it, whereas a pilot would instead respond easygoing and/or with some type of crude humor or sarcasm about the situation. Like I said, it's interesting to get a feel for people without physically meeting or communicating with them. No harm meant with any of it...

summarizing:

Pilots = easygoing and cool
Everyone else = uptight

Yay stereotypes. They are funny due to the fact that more often than not they are true. Not sure I agree with these stereotypes, but interesting thought. The type of speech might also be due to the fact that this is a "Pilot" forum and "non-Pilot's" are guests and want to be cordial in beginning posts? Although anyone who is new to posting here will be blasted/flamed if they are not cordial in their initial postings ...

Or maybe my over-analysis of something silly just furthers the stereotype ... ;)

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
wherethisthreadgoing.jpg

seems like discussion has gotten very productive around here!

ExcaliburUSN

interesting. originally i wanted to be a pilot but my eyes suck. so i couldnt. i am going for my civilian pilots license and have played tons of pilot games. sometimes i just like to go all high and mighty just to straight knock someone down off their high horse. i think that a single post is far too little to judge from, I often go casual and funny but in a new forum and as one of my first posts, as blarged guessed, i was a little more cautious. didnt think telling him to stick his sea bag where the sun dont shine was a good way to get a reputation lol. especially since i dont know ur guys ranks and dont need to piss off my bosses. lol

Cabbage

None
"You will wear them." I figured this much. Probably my anal retentive nature, but I'm wondering if I should bring comfy 100% cotton or something better at moisture wicking.

JR

I was not aware that you could buy a "moisture" wicking happy sock. Someone has to patent that idea before under armour makes millions!

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor

Hmmm. I must be an exception to the 'rule'. And, If you don't believe that, I can be crude and call you a dingleberry...:D

Mntman

Contributor
Reviving this thread. Anything new since COVID, or since the last post on this thread 4,101 days ago?

BasketballisLife

Reviving this thread. Anything new since COVID, or since the last post on this thread 4,101 days ago?

I was going to ask the same thing. I've read mixed things online. I'm hoping someone can speak on weather prior enlisted are aloud to bring/reuse old uniform items such as the TYPE III's, coveralls, PT clothes, undershirts, etc, or does every seabag item have to be brand new and bought during training? Also, are we aloud to bring our own running shoes, towels, etc? I checked https://www.netc.navy.mil/Commands/Naval-Service-Training-Command/OTCN/OCS/ and didn't see anything, but I've heard/read mixed things about using already owned uniform items. Can any recent OCS grads, (particularly prior enlisted ones) speak on this?

I recall going to Recruit Training Command and we literally couldn't bring anything, and the clothes we arrived in was shipped home on the first night. It seems like OCS gives more flexibility and freedom with bringing certain items though. Any insight from recent grads would be much appreciated :)