• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The UNOFFICIAL list of things to bring to OCS

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Brasso still works very well for taking scratches off of name tags...gives them a nice shine. Just put it on a rag and rub hard, it eventually takes off the top layer and leaves them looking very nice.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You can reuse some uniform items so you don't have to buy them again (stuff like ribbons/medals). It works out especially well for chiefs since they don't have to buy service khakis again. Also, if for some reason you DOR or get attrited you'll wear your uniform while waiting to get processed out. Other than that there's not much need for the rest of your seabag.

I'm a prior USNA mid and NAPSter, with SDBs, mess dress, working khakis, whites, etc. etc. Will they allow me to use all those uniforms and not buy more? They all still fit, and it would be nice to do something with the 2 X 600 pound boxes I have sitting in my parent's basement...

tiger84

LT
pilot
Yeah, I'm sure they'd let you reuse whatever you have that's needed at OCS. Just take them with you and leave what you can't use in the car.

I'm a prior USNA mid and NAPSter, with SDBs, mess dress, working khakis, whites, etc. etc. Will they allow me to use all those uniforms and not buy more? They all still fit, and it would be nice to do something with the 2 X 600 pound boxes I have sitting in my parent's basement...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I'm sure they'd let you reuse whatever you have that's needed at OCS. Just take them with you and leave what you can't use in the car.

Is there a time where they check approve uniforms that guys have brought? Or is it on you to make sure they are correct and fit?

Also, do they sew on the needed ensign items at the end of OCS or how does that work?

tiger84

LT
pilot
There were two uniform fittings when I was there. The one in the first week gets you your wash khakis and the rest of your issue. The second one is for getting whites, SDBs and service khakis fit. Since you already have them I'm sure the uniform shop could alter them as well as sew on your stripe.

Is there a time where they check approve uniforms that guys have brought? Or is it on you to make sure they are correct and fit?

Also, do they sew on the needed ensign items at the end of OCS or how does that work?

ExcaliburUSN

yes, I do realize that. My question wasn't about deception. certain items can be brought in with you, here things such as headlamps are additionally being recommended. I am asking where one should keep these, should they be kept in a vehicle? can they be kept in your room? I see nothing inappropriate or controversial about my question. If these items are not required but are being recommended I am simply asking how one would bring them in.

further, what relevance does the initial date of the thread have on my question? The advice herein should still be applicable and therefore is still worth questioning/commenting on.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
OCS has since moved to Newport and has changed significantly since 2007. I highly suggest finding a more recent thread. For example, headlamps will not be necessary, and you can obtain extra blankets from your class's linen body.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I had a headlamp (never used it) after awhile we grew balls and just cracked our door and used the desk lamps. Most items can be kept in your desk and besides RLP, they don't go through your stuff (desk drawers, your closet on the other hand..). At least I never had them go through my stuff.