• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

lance

When I was 4 I had a GI-JOE tomcat. It had a lever on the upper fuselage that actuated the wings and the landing gear. I took it to show-and-tell in preschool and told everyone in my class I was going to be a fighter pilot someday and fly an f-14. Thats the reason I got in the Navy and the reason I am a pilot today. Now all I have is the 137 pictures of it on my hard drive. AND LET ME TELL YOU 99% of those pictures kick serious ass.

I don't know that I will ever stop dreaming about flying it.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, and it will be retired by Sep 06 completely. A few may fly as T&E platforms.

Search for "Tomcat" here for more info.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except for Iranians, Tomcats in US Navy service will be retired by 23 Sept. NASA has asked for 3 for test work, but that deal has not been finalized. There was also interest in establishing a heritage flight of Tomcats by grabbing some of last VF-31 F-14Ds, but that had some hurdles that haven't been surmounted. Still hundreds in the desert and some B and D models to be held in war reserve just in case. As of yesterday, Tomcats in museums number 60+ with a few more likely to be provided out of last 11 assigned to VF-31.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Does Iran build it's own F-14's now, or are they still flying the same ones we sold them in the 1970's?? If they are the same F-14's we sold them it must be one heck of an upkeep program they got going! :eek:

theobbq

theobbq
I'm no intell expert, but I've heard they cannibalized some planes for a while to keep a few planes up, but I'm not sure if they can even do that anymore

Captain America

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
What if a traitorous guy working for an American defense contractor has been selling Iran parts to upkeep their fleet of F-14's? Is this likely or am I just being a paranoid conspiracy theorist?

T

TXHusker05

It is possible, but unlikely. However, anyone will do anything for a price so you never know. From what I understand, the Iranians have let all of their F-14's get into a state of disrepair. After the embargo was placed on them, the last Tomcat they were supposed to receive was held (as was their money) and the Grumman service went with it. Who knows though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Captain America said:
What if a traitorous guy working for an American defense contractor has been selling Iran parts to upkeep their fleet of F-14's? Is this likely or am I just being a paranoid conspiracy theorist?
There was a big case with US Customs folks here in SOCAL many years back where just such a thing was going down. I'm not privy to the details, but from what I understand, some contractors at Miramar were caught trying to sell F-14 parts to Middle Eastern interests.

Brett

fighterpfeif

Word has spread that Iran can't use the Phoenix missile with their Tomcats, outdated, expired, ? But they are trying to retrofit some I-Hawk SAMs and use those instead. If they are indeed launching that program, then it can probably be said that a few aircraft are operational, probably not flying a hell of alot, but still able to get in the air. I would doubt their pilots would know what to do after that, they probably haven't really trained hard in the past 25 years or so, it would most likely be a turkey shoot. F/A-18Fs, F-22s, and F-15s getting easy kills, maybe we would get an ace if we were to launch air strikes against Iran.

kanakAttack

how much for the ape?
Brett327 said:
There was a big case with US Customs folks here in SOCAL many years back where just such a thing was going down. I'm not privy to the details, but from what I understand, some contractors at Miramar were caught trying to sell F-14 parts to Middle Eastern interests.

Brett

Here is an article about this incident (from 2000)...
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/f14-iran/post.html

This one is appeared only 3 days ago...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/16/AR2006041600779.html