• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Now some of you may already have seen this picture (I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I have gotten it in an email) but hey, I decided to post it anyways. This is the first time I have seen it with any text on it, and really don't know if any of it is accurate or not. Matt, any ideas?

beau

its been my wall paper for about a year. I still cant remember how I got it. Very cool, very stupid, very dangerous but a great pic.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Well its one thing to do a roll on a flyby, But this guy look pretty dam close!! I am a bit surprised he wasn't grounded for more then a month??Actualy Matt what are the regulation when it come to flybys??

Edited by - falcaner on 03/30/2001 11:55:25

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The regs are simple, "Flathatting" is completely unauthorized. Then again, we are the largest group of Type A, over inflated egos in the world!! To hell with the regs, just be smart. For example, Ol Suzy rottencrotch comes out to see you jump in your jet and fly away. As you step into your flight gear, she asks you to do something "special" for her. Your big head knows you can't do anything special but the little one knows "specials" pay dividends, you opt on a compromise. As you take off, you inform tower of a gear light and request a visual inspection by the tower. As you circle around the field and line up with the approach end of the runway at or below 200', suck the gear up and throw it into the firewall and inform the tower that the light is out and you would like to continue your departure. They will want to clear you out of there airspace as quickly as possible and your request will be granted, besides, they saw Suzy as well and with you gone she becomes a target of opportunity. Maintain your 200' straight and level until the you've reached maneuvering speed then set that bird on her tail and climb for your departure altitude. You've made Suzy happy, your happy, your CO will never find out and the airman in the tower is happy because now he can go ask Suzy out. Fly Smart!
Semper Fi!

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Phoenix

Well, this fly-by was made by a pilot who has an almost legendary status in the F-14 community. Sadly, I have no idea what his name is . Anyway, the guy, standing widespread, with his arms behind his back, is actually and admiral . He told that in an interview, the location of which, sadly, I can´t remember. He also told another funny story. He was the first student pilot to perform carrier quals with the Tomcat, so the navy decided that as a reward, he would be able to pick up a brand new aircraft from the Grumman factory in NJ(don´t know all the details). He came and picked it up at Grumman. His father was working there and was extremely proud of his son. They had to fly the jet to some NAS (don´t remember the name)near San Diego and had to refuel on the way. So they land at Luke AFB and an Air Force general himself walks up to the aircraft to greet them. Imagine the surprise as two ensigns climb down the ladder and salute him . At the time there was increasing rivalry present between the USAF and the USN over the F-14/F-15 issue. So after receiving the take-off clearance, he engaged the afterburners and took off on a step angle, the entire base watching. When at 20.000 feet, they were still above the runway, so the controller asks about their aircraft type and the RIO replies:"We´re an Eagle eater!"

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Edited by - Phoenix on 04/13/2001 15:09:38

Randy Haskin

"Well, this fly-by was made by a pilot who has an almost legendary status in the F-14 community."

The guy's name is Dale Snodgrass and, yes, he was an accomplished Tomcat fighter pilot, now retired. I had the honor of meeting him at the Kalamazoo, MI, Air Zoo (where he's one of their chief warbird pilots) and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy.

The caption on that photo, by the way, is totally *wrong*. It was taken during one of Dale's demonstrations on the USS America back in '89. Here's what he had to say about it:

"Q: That shot off of the America is very widely used….most people seem to initially think it is either an edited photo, or a risky maneuver. What was it?

"A: It's not risky at all with practice…it was my opening pass to a Tomcat tactical demonstration at sea. I started from the starboard rear quarter of the ship, at or slightly below flight deck level. Airspeed was at about 250 knots with the wings swept forward. I selected afterburner at about 1/2 mile behind and the aircraft accelerated to about 325-330 knots. As I approached the ship, I rolled into an 85 degree angle of bank and did a 2-3 g turn, finishing about 10- 20 degrees off of the ship's axis. It was a very dramatic and, in my opinion, a very cool way to start a carrier demo. The photo was taken by an Aviation Boson's Mate who worked the flight deck on the USS America. Just as an aside...the individual with his arms behind his back is Admiral Jay Johnson, the immediate past Chief of Naval Operations for the Navy."

You can read the rest of this excellent interview here:
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/interviews/snodgrass/index-pf.html

ASUPilot

Mr. Snodgrass is an animal! I had the pleasure of meeting him at Oshkosh one year when he did the Helcat/Tomcat Naval history flight demonstration. I share the aforementioned sentiment...he IS a nice guy!

ASUPilot

flyin canuck

Does anybody know if there is a video of Snort's at-sea demo (ie, including this pass)?

The thought just crossed my mind after seeing a rather sweet video of an F-14 pass at sea. Actually, a f***ing sweet a$$ fly-by is a better description!!!

Here's the link. its at the bottom of the page:

http://members.aol.com/myfitz/3da.html

Jeff29

Science Project
Anyone know where I can find some good videos clips (with sound). My almost two year old son saw me watching the one at the link above and he's been sitting at my computer all weekend saying, "aapane, aapane, aapane..." I found a few decent clips, but they don't have any sound (he really likes the noise). Thanks.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Tomcat or Hornet

Now before you get on my case about the whole, "Top Gun = Gay" thing...back off. Yes I think the Tomcat looks great, yes I saw Top Gun and yes I would love to fly one. I've liked the lines of the 'Cat as long as I can remember...so I don't think any of you should just dismiss this topic because of the Tomcat being a part of it(Bigworm, I'm looking at you)

Anyway, the question is how those that have actually flown them feel they stack up against each other. What are the pros and cons of each jet? I'm not just thinking about performance here either, I mean, it's got to be a different experience having somebody else in the plane with you doesn't it?

"The Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid"

kevin

there are some hornet drivers on this site, but if there are any 14 drivers, i havent seen them.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^Yeah,I think we've all read about the mechanical aspects and flaws of each machine but that's just what it is, reading. I'm interested in hearing it from the people that do it everyday. I hadn't heard about that although I did read about the compressor stalls and flame-outs before and after AB.

"The Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid"