• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Would it be inappropriate to note that neither of the Tomcat Haters were Tomcat Pilots? :icon_wink

Tongue-in-cheek, of course :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of hate for the Tomcat... I'd be willing to bet that a fair share of Naval Aviators throughout the past couple decades had her in mind when they decided upon this route.

I know she was what I wanted to fly when I was a kid.
No hate . . . just standard Naval Aviation pot-stirring. And guess what? It worked! :p

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I always LOVED the Turkey ... every time in a fight, when it 'threw up a wing' ... it immediately became the biggest 'target' in the 1 or 2 V many fight.

As an ADVERSARY ... it made my job exponentially 'easier' ...

Thanks ... BombCats ... :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always LOVED the Turkey ... every time in a fight, when it 'threw up a wing' ... it immediately became the biggest 'target' in the 1 or 2 V many fight.

As an ADVERSARY ... it made my job exponentially 'easier' ...

Thanks ... BombCats ... :)
As we both know... and you might admit :D:

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." ( Adolf Galland)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." ( Adolf Galland)
Even Adolf Galland started it w/ the word: ATTACK

Sooooooo ... I will always admit, Bruddah .... that there is NO SLACK in Light, Medium, or Heavy ATTACK ...

Best, A4s ... :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

My favorite quote for sure, but also ties to what his countryman from World War I (Richthofen) said when asked about the best airplane: "It's not the crate, it's the man in the crate that matters"

Richthofen.gif

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even Adolf Galland started it w/ the word: ATTACK

Sooooooo ... I will always admit, Bruddah .... that there is NO SLACK in Light, Medium, or Heavy ATTACK ...

Best, A4s ... :)

Light, slack, attack dogma and performance is duly noted, and always appreciated. Especially to the grunts on the ground. But fighter pilots get the glory.... and live forever with their immortal quotes:

"The fighter pilots have to rove in the area alotted to them in any way they like, and when they spot an enemy they attack and shoot him down, anything else is rubbish."
Manfred von Richthofen

√ 6, Bruddah!
Best, you wiley bogie. :icon_wink
Catmando

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My favorite quote for sure, but also ties to what his countryman from World War I (Richthofen) said when asked about the best airplane: "It's not the crate, it's the man in the crate that matters"

Richthofen.gif

Fuckin' A ...

It's never been otherwise ...

Believe it.

Proof positive on Hoser's wall: the photo that was ordered destroyed after the best Eagle driver took on the best Tomcat driver during AIM/ACEVAL (75-77 at Nellis), which was strictly forbidden (they were supposed to fight the F-5E Red Team players). Despite the F-15 looking better on paper, Hoser has pipper on the Eagle driver's helmet literally gunning his brains out. When Air Force general found out, he charged into spaces demanded the HUD film, which he got, but not before Hoser got a copy of the frame he wanted.

Hoser_F-15_Kill-1.jpg

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Proof positive on Hoser's wall: the photo that was ordered destroyed after the best Eagle driver took on the best Tomcat driver during AIM/ACEVAL (75-77 at Nellis), which was strictly forbidden (they were supposed to fight the F-5E Red Team players). Despite the F-15 looking better on paper, Hoser has pipper on the Eagle driver's helmet literally gunning his brains out. When Air Force general found out, he charged into spaces demanded the HUD film, which he got, but not before Hoser got a copy of the frame he wanted.

Hoser_F-15_Kill-1.jpg

That....is.....HILARIOUS!!! I say we we begin caption suggestions.

"To all who shall see these presents, greetings...and farewell."

Yankee Uniform Tango
I read a post of Hoser's on a different forum once, and I believe he had something like 2 frames of said HUD film. The one above, and one with the pipper slightly behind the F-15's canopy. When instructing A/A gunnery (I believe at TOPGUN?) he'd display the latter image to a classroom full of studs and ask "Is this where you want the pipper to be?". The class would agree, he'd yell "WRONG!!!" and show the slide with the pipper on the pilot's helmet. Hilarious!