• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

Fly Navy said:
Those are test birds, not fleet birds.

I know this. I was merely pointing out the ability of the F-14 airframe to indeed "carry" the missiles in question. ;)

Cheers,

jai5w4 :icon_smil

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
How about a MIM-23 HAWK air-surface missile modified for air-air work?

This was the Iranian answer to the embargo in the '80s. Not too effective as I understand it so they worked on making the old Phoenix work.

Interesting that the Iranians will still be flying the Tomcat after us.

More info on Iranian Tomcats kills:
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_210.shtml

Interesting, considering how cozy they were with the Russkies that they didn't try the AA-9. Wasn't that created as a Phoenix clone?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Actually VF-31 and VF-213 are still scheduled to do one last deployment... ...
REALLY !!! VF-213 Blacklions !!! Still carrying the load !!! Tip of the spear, and all that...... that was one of our F-4 squadrons long-time-ago in CVW-11.

That was also the squadron that slapped a sticker on my wife's butt @ a dance at the Whidbey 'O Club. Great party .... very bad Blacklion boys. She loved it .... although I didn't see her for the next three days ..... :confused:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jai5w4 said:
I know this. I was merely pointing out the ability of the F-14 airframe to indeed "carry" the missiles in question. ;)

Cheers,

jai5w4 :icon_smil
That being said, I could load you and two of your midshipman friends all duct taped together on an F-14 too. I wonder how much damage you could do by dropping 3x frozen college students on a target? Death by collegiate popsicle! It could be used for covert ops - plausable deniability, you know. "Hey, Ahmed? What killed Ali and Mohamed? Beats me! All I see are these three frozen white guys taped together with FDNY written in grease pencil on their faces." :D

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
That being said, I could load you and two of your midshipman friends all duct taped together on an F-14 too.

Brett
HAH!!! I love it .... taping the children to a MER ..... I tried to give you "rep" to assuage your Ordie-loading ego, but the AW-Nazi-who's-good-and-who's-bad-system wouldn't let me ..... they have probably taken that little pleasure away from me. I trust you returned from Hook without any indictments or NCIS investigations pending .....

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
nittany03 said:
Interesting, considering how cozy they were with the Russkies that they didn't try the AA-9. Wasn't that created as a Phoenix clone?

Actually, they were never that close to the Russians in the late '70's and into the '80's. The primary reason the Shah wanted Tomcats was to prevent the Russina overflights by MiG-25 recon birds.

Nowadays, they are buying arms from the Chinese, not the Russians.

Another article: http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_212.shtml

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
HAH!!! I love it .... taping the children to a MER ..... I tried to give you "rep" to assuage your Ordie-loading ego, but the AW-Nazi-who's-good-and-who's-bad-system wouldn't let me ..... they have probably taken that little pleasure away from me. I trust you returned from Hook without any indictments or NCIS investigations pending .....
Thanks good buddy. Save one aborted attempt to abscond with an 8 ft EA-18G model (courtesy of the Boeing/Northrop-Grumman team), Hook was relatively incident-free, but a blast nonetheless.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A4sForever said:
I took care of him for ya.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
UInavy said:
I'm not sure what 'abscond' means, but I'm going to assume 'mate'. That's right, Brett tried to mate with an 8-ft Hornet. Did it have frozen middies taped to it??
You know, Brett did mention naming the EA-18G the Shocker...Maybe now we know why????? :D

I quote: ATTENTION ALL AVIATORS - Per my discussions w/ other Prowler dudes up at the Prowler Ball, we're changing the "unofficial" name of the EA-18G to "Shocker" vs. Growler.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
You know, Brett did mention naming the EA-18G the Shocker...Maybe now we know why????? :D

I quote: ATTENTION ALL AVIATORS - Per my discussions w/ other Prowler dudes up at the Prowler Ball, we're changing the "unofficial" name of the EA-18G to "Shocker" vs. Growler.
Yeah, they have zappers and patches to that effect now and the Nugget in Reno is plastered with them. I'd show you all if I had a (working)scanner. We're calling it a grass-roots effort. :D

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett said:
.....Save one aborted attempt to abscond with an 8 ft EA-18G model (courtesy of the Boeing/Northrop-Grumman team), Hook was relatively incident-free, but a blast nonetheless.
UInavy said:
I'm not sure what 'abscond' means, but I'm going to assume 'mate'. That's right, Brett tried to mate with an 8-ft Hornet. Did it have frozen middies taped to it??

That's right, "abscond" means .... "what goes on cruise stays on cruise" ... I think. :icon_mi_1

That's also funny about a Queer ("queer" , i.e., ECMO, Electronic, Prowler, VAQ = "queer" VA, anything with "EA-" in the designation for those of you who are amongst the unwashed) trying to mate, "mate", with an 8' EA-18 ... those NFO's are always crazy guys. At the last Intruder Ball, one of the B/N's tried to paint the disgustingly phallic P-3 MAD boom hanging in the O' Club overhead "pink". At least he DID cover the disgusting display with a garbage bag .... get it?? :icon_mi_1

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
EA-18G I think is the full designation.

Shocker... now THAT's a good name.

Jakapr

Oceana and VF-32

I got back from Oceana Monday. First time there since 76 when I got out.

A few of us from the first Oceana Tomcat squadron (VF-32) set up a reunion to go along with the airshow.

We had a Swordsman from the earily 50's that worked on the F8F and the F4U, and a few from the late 50's that worked on the F-8 Crusader.

It was nice to see our old Squadron flying and our new hangar looked old after 30 years of use. We went to VF-32's ready room and our Skipper that took us from the Phantoms to the Tomcats met up with the Skipper that will take the Tomcats to the Hornets.

After that we went out to the Tomcat that was painted in our original colors for a group picture.

Then it was the airshow. It was great to hear and see the Tomcats taxiing and flying after all these years.

It was a great weekend for an airshow and reunion. Hot, but a great time.

Here is a site Ken set up before the airshow so we could keep in touch about the reunion.
VF-32 SITE

Jack Capper

2005VF-32reunion168send.jpg