• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I figured I'd ask the question here since there's probably more corporate knowledge on the 121 side...

'Tis the season for yet another check ride and curiosity has finally got the better of me. Does anyone know the actual result/outcome/fallout of failing a check ride? I'm speaking only about the FAA side and not whatever a company might do with you, since obviously that's going to vary wildly.

I've heard Check Airmen mention it goes "on your record," but what does that mean? On to your PRIA? And does that matter in the grand scheme of things? When I see job listings, I will see stipulations on "accidents/incidents or violations" but that's it. Is a failure a "violation?" I wouldn't think so. Is a failure under Part 91 with a DPE the same thing as with a 121 or 135 check ride?

I'm not planning on throwing the game, but I've never understood the actual details of the situation.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I figured I'd ask the question here since there's probably more corporate knowledge on the 121 side...

'Tis the season for yet another check ride and curiosity has finally got the better of me. Does anyone know the actual result/outcome/fallout of failing a check ride? I'm speaking only about the FAA side and not whatever a company might do with you, since obviously that's going to vary wildly.

I've heard Check Airmen mention it goes "on your record," but what does that mean? On to your PRIA? And does that matter in the grand scheme of things? When I see job listings, I will see stipulations on "accidents/incidents or violations" but that's it. Is a failure a "violation?" I wouldn't think so. Is a failure under Part 91 with a DPE the same thing as with a 121 or 135 check ride?

I'm not planning on throwing the game, but I've never understood the actual details of the situation.

It is pretty standard for a 121 airline app to ask, in addition to "accidents/incidents and violations", another screening question of "have you ever failed a check ride?". I'd agree that a failure is not a violation. It would go into PRIA, and I guess depending on the hiring environment, might cause you heartache getting hired somewhere else. I don't think there is any FAA enforcement action associated with check ride failures though, since the failure is effectively the enforcement (don't get type rating during initial training, have to re-qual on a failed recurrent, fail to upgrade to CA, etc)

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
The legacy you are going to leave your children continues to grow…
The bickering will be immense…

Kid Unit #1: “I want Dad’s ‘Wanna See My Kitties’ button that he found in the DTW employee lot!”

Kid Unit #2: “No freaking way! I want Dad’s ‘Wanna See My Kitties’ button that he found in the DTW employee lot!”

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The bickering will be immense…

Kid Unit #1: “I want Dad’s ‘Wanna See My Kitties’ button that he found in the DTW employee lot!”

Kid Unit #2: “No freaking way! I want Dad’s ‘Wanna See My Kitties’ button that he found in the DTW employee lot!”
You’d better die with an even number of hotel pens!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Southwest Inclusion Policy Update:
Southwest has become the first US airline to allow "Customers of Size", otherwise defined as passengers whose bodies encroach past their armrests, to block off their neighboring seat without extra costs.

Customers of Size can now purchase two tickets and have one refunded. When they board they will have two seats available exclusively for their occupancy.

Mirage

pilot
Southwest has become the first US airline to allow "Customers of Size", otherwise defined as passengers whose bodies encroach past their armrests, to block off their neighboring seat without extra costs.

Customers of Size can now purchase two tickets and have one refunded. When they board they will have two seats available exclusively for their occupancy.

Oh jeez... they opened that door? How many people are going to claim to be morbidly obese now, just to get an extra seat?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor

There has to be more to this. Given how profit margins can be so complicated with regards to an airline’s business models, there’s no way that an airline who operates primarily in one of the most obese countries in the world would just throw money away like this.

Also, “Passengers of size”. What a hilarious term.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Dr. Jess Maddox on X: Without downloading new pics, where are you ...

HuggyU2

None
It's only a matter of time before someone will file suit because they didn't get a free extra seat because they were discriminated against for being too skinny.
#skinnyshaming

The whole Pre-Board thing should be an indicator of how people will manipulate and abuse this.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
It's only a matter of time before someone will file suit because they didn't get a free extra seat because they were discriminated against for being too skinny.
#skinnyshaming

The whole Pre-Board thing should be an indicator of how people will manipulate and abuse this.

Bingo. We’re tolerating ourselves right out of being able to have nice things.