• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

SlickAg

pilot
Yeah, I saw that. It's an interesting experiment in small passenger jet flying. The concept seems a bit like how the ER 175 has turned out- in the sense of a tube that could fit more seats, so the seats can be more spread out and more comfortable. The number of seats in the 175 is limited by scope but the number in this 550 will be limited by choice.
The company fly as many 50 seaters as they want according to the scope clause; hence exactly 50 seats. Certainly an interesting end-around on their part.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I saw that. It's an interesting experiment in small passenger jet flying. The concept seems a bit like how the ER 175 has turned out- in the sense of a tube that could fit more seats, so the seats can be more spread out and more comfortable. The number of seats in the 175 is limited by scope but the number in this 550 will be limited by choice.

The number of seats on this 550 thing is limited by scope... and there will be one flight attendant because only one is required for 50 seat aircraft.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The number of seats on this 550 thing is limited by scope... and there will be one flight attendant because only one is required for 50 seat aircraft.
I’m not sure about that. I think the number of FAs required is based on seats it’s certified for, not the number actually installed.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
What is the ‘scope clause/limitation’?

The pilot unions negotiated limited number of smaller RJs that can carry their passengers, usually in the 50 and 76 seat range. Management would love to use more and bigger RJs because they’re nominally cheaper to operate than 737/A320. Once the carrier hits those limits, they can negotiate more with the union (unlikely since it means pilot jobs), buy 737s and have empty seats, or buy jets inbetween an RJ and 737/A320 and fly them with mainline pilots. The new A220 and E195E2 are in that range, plus some others. There’s a lot more pilots at big carriers now that lived through regional jobs making crap pay, and hopefully they’re willing to hold the line on scope.

Also the economics made more sense when regional pilots made $20k/yr. Now the ATP requirements of 1500 hours total time have dried up regional applicants from puppy mill flight schools, so Regionals have been forced to up pay (and offer Rotary transition programs) to fill class seats, and also make military pilots in demand. ??????

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Regionals have been forced to up pay (and offer Rotary transition programs) to fill class seats, and also make military pilots in demand. ??????
It's a great time to be starting out in the business and the mass retirements are going to continue for years to come, but just remember- money and profit mean lobbying pressure on Congress and the economy is due for a downturn.

Enjoy the ride but don't get cocky.

pqoYJhu.gif

FVTzd7.gif

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Wings and Beer on @mad dog

Delta Air Lines announced Tuesday that 80,000 employees worldwide earned a $1.3 billion payout for "delivering record-breaking operational and customer satisfaction performance as well as strong financial performance."

Greater Cincinnati Delta employees awarded $17 million in profit-sharing

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's a great time to be starting out in the business and the mass retirements are going to continue for years to come, but just remember- money and profit mean lobbying pressure on Congress and the economy is due for a downturn.

Enjoy the ride but don't get cocky.

pqoYJhu.gif

FVTzd7.gif

Just in time to get whipsawed.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@FrankTheTank not to be outdone but I snagged a two day premium trip for tomorrow. 16 pay for ~4.5 flying with a dead head back. A pity we don’t have a 2x premium multiplier but this puts me at 99 hours pay for 15 days working in April. The rest of my trips are Aruba and Cancun long layovers on the beach. Not a bad start to summer flying. Also got dead headed home today on a 777 in business. Love getting paid to nap and read my kindle. Will love it all better when I make the big bucks like you, @HAL Pilot and @wink