• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think a lot of it is their familiarity and comfort with the IP cadre on the other end of the radio. Maybe they figure we're definitely not going to hit each other or we're not going to crow about separation when there is perfectly good separation.

No doubt. I also remember hearing on more than one occasion from Approach, "Okay, I need instructors only to respond. We're just too busy right now." Meanwhile Giuseppe the solo is setting up for the wrong entry point at Conecuh River Bridge.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of how many times I used my defog switch and vent control lever... Yet it's in the climb and descent checklist every time haha! I like defog switch in the before landing checklist, bc it makes a significant difference in wafeoff/climbout performance. But it's silly in the other two. Don't get me started on the number of times transponder is now in the checklist since ADSB; if I were a student I'd start ignoring checklists because of their stupidity (studs, please disregard).

Defog in the Texan is great for:
A) January starts to warm the fucking cockpit up prior to takeoff
B) Actually defogging the cockpit when you takeoff from 90% humidity and all that shit freezes at FL290 on your way North.

First time I had to use it, it was so loud I thought it was broken, then remembered a wise FITU IP who told me "It's gonna sound like a freight train, that's normal"

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Defog in the Texan is great for:
A) January starts to warm the fucking cockpit up prior to takeoff
B) Actually defogging the cockpit when you takeoff from 90% humidity and all that shit freezes at FL290 on your way North.

First time I had to use it, it was so loud I thought it was broken, then remembered a wise FITU IP who told me "It's gonna sound like a freight train, that's normal"
I also liked using it to teach my students respect for bleed air systems in any turbine airplane.

It sounds silly, but it's a big scary noise that changes when you move the throttle. Some of the bleed air goes through a heat exchanger and cools off to make a sweet air conditioner. Other bleed air goes around the heat exchanger and stays hot. If something doesn't work in that system then that hot air can be very bad for the pink meatbags inside the airplane. Your ears could also feel the pressure change pretty easily (outflow valve is pretty responsive in the T-6 but it's not instantaneous), good for making young student minds ponder the physiological possibilities of when pressurization systems go wonky.

It's one thing to read about something or to learn about it in a lecture (from a person or from a computer screen). It's another to learn about it from your sense of sound and sense of touch.

The defogger in the T-6 is also funny because it seems to take foreeeeever for the valve to go from shutoff to open and back again.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Since we're on the subject of holding... A couple of months ago I was coming back from a call and had to shoot an actual RNAV approach into our base airport. Some dude in a Piper that apparently could only do 12.3 knots got there ahead of me, and since the airport is handled by Center and the tower wasn't open, I was told to hold. The approach had holding at the center of the RNAV "T," but that's where the other guy was (and apparently at ALL the altitudes...thanks, Center). So Center told me to hold at the end of one of the "T" waypoints. No holding was depicted, and Center was more worried about all the other airliners going into MCO, so the most I got was fix, altitude, and EFC.

Due to my -530 wizardy, I set up the hold manually so I could just make the autopilot do the work (although I still had to swap back and forth between NAV and HDG modes manually), but I was curious if others have had that happen on a RNAV. Is it legal to give me that, given it's on the approach segment? I can see the argument that it would be legal, but it was still a weird clearance.
When no holding is depicted then you just enter standard holding. The interesting one that I used to see in the 727 all the time and can’t recall having seen since is “hold on the localizer”

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
When no holding is depicted then you just enter standard holding. The interesting one that I used to see in the 727 all the time and can’t recall having seen since is “hold on the localizer”
That's funny- because one of Pensacola Approach's favorite things, to put training command aircraft out at PENSI (wh where the airway and the localizer for the calm wind runway meet). It's technically an IAF (they rarely use it as one unless you ask) but it's also 20+ miles from the airport, not 8 like the Saulfley VOR or 10~ish like most IAFs. So it actually works out really great for airspace management around what is a pretty crazy busy class C, and it's a good setup for practice holding to help the studs learn that holding is only hard because you make it hard in your head. We're just driving around the block until the light turns green.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When no holding is depicted then you just enter standard holding.

Sure, but where? Which quadrant do you hold on? Assuming standard turns, then I guess SW or SE, but what if I was coming from the East? Then NE or SE, I guess. But there was no "radial" given in the clearance, only, "Hold at WHAAT, 2K, EFC of it's going to be a few minutes."

Like I said, ATC wasn't going to give me the business however I held, but it wasn't what I've normally seen on an approach segment.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Sure, but where? Which quadrant do you hold on? Assuming standard turns, then I guess SW or SE, but what if I was coming from the East? Then NE or SE, I guess. But there was no "radial" given in the clearance, only, "Hold at WHAAT, 2K, EFC of it's going to be a few minutes."

Like I said, ATC wasn't going to give me the business however I held, but it wasn't what I've normally seen on an approach segment.
Ah... I have a more clear picture of what your saying. I would say use your inbound course to the fix, right hand turns, 4 minutes legs. And then I would follow up with a “does right/left hand turns, 10 mile legs work for you?”

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Sure, but where?

Standard hold. Heading to the fix, right hand standard rate turns, one minute legs. You end up on whatever quadrant you end up on.

If they don't give you a heading, the heading from current position directly to the fix becomes your inbound holding heading. A clearance as short as "Hold VOR, EFC 0200" gives all the info you need.

Or "Hold present position, EFC 0200" works too (if you have RNAV capability). Your inbound course is the reciprocal of what you are doing when told to hold. You immediately enter a right hand standard rate turn for 180 degrees, outbound for a minute, right hand 180 degree standard rate turn, 1 minute back to where you started.

With the A330 FMS all I have to do is select the fix (or PPOS) and enter the inbound heading and I have a standard hold. I can also change the run directions and leg lengths.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Standard hold. Heading to the fix, right hand standard rate turns, one minute legs. You end up on whatever quadrant you end up on.

Makes sense. I think I just made the holding "radial" 180 since I was coming from just east of south.

With the A330 FMS all I have to do is select the fix (or PPOS) and enter the inbound heading and I have a standard hold. I can also change the run directions and leg lengths.

The newer Garmin systems will let you do that, as well. Unfortunately the older 430/530 systems require a waypoint and then to manually put it in CDI mode. You'll bounce back and forth between NAV and HDG (outbound), but with no turn anticipation or wind correction. But at least there's no dip error.