• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Scoop on Pensacola

RyanVR

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I am a graduate of BOC 1-06 (Alpha Company) and have been under MATSG-21 since June 16th. During the last month or so of TBS I began my planning process for moving and all that trash. At the time I had many questions about what exactly goes on once you report in to "Flight school" (yeah right). I start API tomorrow so during this calm before the academic hazing storm I figured i'd throw out some gouge.

What is check in like?
Check in! i'm glad you asked. You'll come in with your charlies sporting that sexy pizza stain on your left breast. It will be glorius. You'll find your way to the back of the MATSG-21 hq building where the Marine Officer Control office is located and you'll most likely talk to someone from the "Lt's Office". This group of Lts are attrites from the flight program, whether that be NPQ, DOR, or otherwise. While waiting for reassignment or administrative work they will be in general your liasons to the Marine Officer Control Officer (aka Higher). They'll have a check in list with a variety of tasks for you to accomplish such as turning in your medical/dental records and paying dues. Good luck!

Ok after i'm done checking in then what happens?
Along with your check in you will recieve a Pre-API checklist. These are the things you must accomplish before you are elligible to start API. They include:
MATSG-21 flight student check in sheet, check in brief from the CO, NOMI physical, Anthro measurements (will happen with physical), Legal (will), IFS complete, helmet measurements, API pubs, name tags, Making the Grade class, shipboard firefighting, officer dues, urinalysis, orm training

Wow that sounds like a lot of stuff!
Yeah. It will take you a while. A significant number of these things are scheduled for you by MOC. Some you have to go into the Lt's office and sign up on a sheet and once they have enough people they'll schedule a class.

So what happens during the week?
There are formations on Monday and Friday morning. These formations mostly serve as a word passing function besides the obvious accountability reasons. Weekdays you will recieve an email from MOC reiterating the schedule for the week and listed who has what appointment when. Tuesday through Thursday you will check in with a squad leader via phone/text message/whatever in the morning and then are free to do whatever you want, unless an event is going on or you have a stash job.

What is a stash job?
Your wait to start API will last anywhere from 3-6 months usually. During this time there is a strong chance you will get a stash job. These jobs range from being a squad leader, being on ceremonial detail, or even being the no **** XO of a unit nearby at Corry Station. Some are far more demanding than others, but the benefit of most of the stash jobs is you are exempt from most of the "all hands" or voluntold activities that take place.

Some notable stash jobs off the top of my head include: ceremonial detail(funerals), the LEAD program (teaching enlisted Marines, pt, leadership), AMS-1/2 legal/saco officers or mentors, or you could be involved with a annual event such as the Birthday Ball

Anything else?
Yeah, there are a lot of little things that go on. There will be mutliple occassions where everyone has to attend a PME or some form of mandatory fun and although people ***** and moan, it is explained as follows:

You are doing maybe 5-6 hours of work a week if that and getting a full paycheck, if you have to come in for some mandatory events don't cry about it because you've got it pretty good. They can easily make everyone come in to formation every day but they don't want to do that as long as everyone shows up when they are told to events.

There are many more things I am forgetting but I hope this post will answer at least one Lt up at The Big Slideshow's questions.

Semper Fidelis,
2nd Lt. Von Rembow

Malice 1

pilot
Good afternoon gentlemen,

This group of Lts are attrites from the flight program, whether that be NPQ, DOR, or otherwise.

How do you get NPQ'd if you passed your flight physical to get into the program?

NNNAMI WWWAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_tong

Hey VR,

I'm in API now, but aren't they changing the pool so people have to come in every morning at 0730 and have mando PT 3 days a week?

RyanVR

NNNAMI WWWAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_tong

Hey VR,

I'm in API now, but aren't they changing the pool so people have to come in every morning at 0730 and have mando PT 3 days a week?

I don't know about the 0730 thing but the 3 day a week mando pt yeah thats going into effect Nov. 1st i believe. Knew i was forgetting something.

Shipboard firefighting is mandatory since I got down here in June at least, no idea when it actually got instituted.

As for NPQs, the flight physicals done at random places technically don't matter to the actual NAMI, the only one that matters is the one done down here at the actual place. One person was already in primary when they discovered there was something messed up with his internal organs and he got NPQ'd for that (not sure the full story), one LT could pass one type of color vision test but unfortunately not another, it doesn't happen a ton but it does happen. But yeah, your initial flight physical isn't a golden ticket.

wrk

One thing you can do while you wait around is learn to call yourself 2nd Lt, and not just Lt, you don't want to go around primary calling yourself a Lt. Of course, sometimes it's fun to call up the SDO and refer to yourself and Lt and have them call you sir for a while.

Junior

pilot
]Of course, sometimes it's fun to call up the SDO and refer to yourself and Lt and have them call you sir for a while.
Or you could stand outside the Commissary doors on Saturday and get saluted for an hour or so. It's so much fun! Just make sure you wear your leather jacket and aviator glasses. :boggled_1

Malice 1

pilot
One thing you can do while you wait around is learn to call yourself 2nd Lt, and not just Lt, you don't want to go around primary calling yourself a Lt. Of course, sometimes it's fun to call up the SDO and refer to yourself and Lt and have them call you sir for a while.

What about El Tee? Can we call ourselves that? It has a nice mexican ring to it. :icon_wink

flyerstud4

I don't know about the 0730 thing but the 3 day a week mando pt yeah thats going into effect Nov. 1st i believe. Knew i was forgetting something.

Shipboard firefighting is mandatory since I got down here in June at least, no idea when it actually got instituted.

As for NPQs, the flight physicals done at random places technically don't matter to the actual NAMI, the only one that matters is the one done down here at the actual place. One person was already in primary when they discovered there was something messed up with his internal organs and he got NPQ'd for that (not sure the full story), one LT could pass one type of color vision test but unfortunately not another, it doesn't happen a ton but it does happen. But yeah, your initial flight physical isn't a golden ticket.

oh alright thanks for the reply. I have already been through NAMI. I guess the Green machine is trying to save money by having air contracts go to P'cola before they go to TBS to get cleared. Good luck with API

Raptor2216

I'm getting tired of the whole "you get paid for a 40 hour week" line because I think we had plenty of days at TBS where we put in a 90 hour week and only for paid for a 40 hour week. As far as i'm concerned, its payback now.