• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Road to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
I was wondering what all is gonna be involved in getting into OCS. My plan is to graduate college with a Computational Physics degree, and then join up to become a Naval Aviator. I do not want to be an NFO at all. It's my dream to be the pilot.

I've got roughly a year and a half left of college (should graduate fall of 09, spring of 2010 at the latest). I've already been in for 4 years, but due to me being unmotivated and not sure of what I wanted to do (changed major 3 times), I've still got some time to go.

I'm working very hard to bring my GPA up. Right now it is around 2.5, but with 15 more classes to take, I'll be able to bring it up with the new effort I am putting forth.

My dad went to OCS when he was accepted at E-6 to become an LDO. He ended up graduating at the top of his class and is still serving. He just got on the Kitty Hawk attached to the F/A-18 Dragons squadron that is stationed in Japan. He'll be serving for about 7 more years and I think it would be the greatest honor if I was able to serve with him on his last tour.

I'm 6'3.75" (what is the cut off height for fighters?)

I know that I have some work to do in bringing up my GPA and finishing college. I was wondering about the test scores that I've seen a lot of people posting (such as: 6 7 6 52).

Any other info or tips you guys have for me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Josh

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I'm 6'3.75" (what is the cut off height for fighters?)

First off, make sure you'll be satisfied being a Naval Aviator. If your goal is strictly to become a fighter pilot, be prepared for disappointment because not everyone gets their top choice. That's the cold hard reality.

Also, make sure you want to be an officer too. I was explaining to an ROTC freshman how the pilots and NFOs had ground jobs such as line Div-O, ground safety officer, Assistant ops officer, etc, and he asked, with a straight face, "If you're not interested in a ground job, can you tell them you just want to fly?" I wanted to laugh in his face.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
I'd be ok with flying other jets, but fighters is what I really want, for sure. I understand everything about the ground jobs. It's really no big deal when you think about what you get to do the other times.

If you graduate high in your OCS class, do you get more of a choice on what you will do?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'd be ok with flying other jets, but fighters is what I really want, for sure. I understand everything about the ground jobs. It's really no big deal when you think about what you get to do the other times.

If you graduate high in your OCS class, do you get more of a choice on what you will do?

If you want a sure slot at fighters go Pledge an ANG unit. If that unit flies F-16s and you get picked up for a slot you will fly f-16s (until that unit transitions to something else).

Be warned though, if they transition you will most likely stick around for that transition. And lately those are UAVs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Do a couple searches and you will find your answers.

P.S. I think I just fed a troll.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor

Class rank has no importance outside of OCS. All it does is give you more work while at OCS. Its all about being the Candidate Ensign.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
And you said you would be okay with "flying other jets" if you didn't get fighters... If you don't get "fighters" chances are you won't be flying a jet, but rather a prop (E2/C2, P-3), or Helo's.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Candidate ensign?

And how do you pledge to a squadron?

42% isn't really that bad of odds if you're in the top 20% of your class (which is what I'll be trying to exceed).

Fighters is my dream, I can't let the fear of maybe not getting it stop me.

How do I make my chances at fighter pilot the absolute best they can be.

SiafuSig05

Candidate ensign?

And how do you pledge to a squadron?

42% isn't really that bad of odds if you're in the top 20% of your class (which is what I'll be trying to exceed).

Fighters is my dream, I can't let the fear of maybe not getting it stop me.

How do I make my chances at fighter pilot the absolute best they can be.

Ask your DI when or IF you get in. They love to talk about personal stuff.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Class rank has no importance outside of OCS. All it does is give you more work while at OCS. Its all about being the Candidate Ensign.

I would have to respectfully disagree with that. The more bars you get in OCS, the less work you do! Candidate Ensigns have the worst deal by far. The hardest part about my job was trying to act busy :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I would have to respectfully disagree with that. The more bars you get in OCS, the less work you do! Candidate Ensigns have the worst deal by far. The hardest part about my job was trying to act busy :D

FALSE!

This candidate ensign spent his time surfing the internets at the NEX and staying AWAY from battalion as long as possible and trying to appear busy. I did VERY little the last 2 weeks. :D

Oh, and you can be as competetive as you want at selection time, but talk to my buddy who had a 61, and didn't get jets because there were only 3 slots and they went to dudes with 65+ (PS: NSS is out of 80).

I foresee an AW name change when you get to selection. ;)

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Actually, you're both wrong.
Rank has nothing to do with it. There are crappy jobs to get 1 through whatever. Dumb luck decides how much free time you'll have. Anyway it doesn't really matter since you will actually HAVE free time compared to the previous 9 weeks.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
My luck was certainly dumb, plus it didn't hurt being indoc. Everyone wanted a piece. I just bowed out when people came to have 'fun'.

Status
Not open for further replies.