• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The return of barefoot running....now with Five Fingers!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Swimming it is your friend. Repeat this over and over again...swimming it is your friend.

KBayDog

You should go to my safety brief. It's the same as my SPC's was, 15 years ago. "If you drink don't drive, if you drive, don't drink. Safe sex, no sex, don't have sex with each other." I do, in a nod to the times, put a pitch in for the buddy system and having a plan. 2 minutes and out the door.

I've always been a huge fan of the 4-5 hour "briefs" that are held in a facility with a seating capacity at least 30% less than the size of the organization...and no A/C. The A/V systems have to be bent, delaying the start for at least a half hour. The briefs have to be all Power Point (with the "same old videos", none of which work due to NMCI restrictions), and have to consist of no more than 10% safety-related material. 90% of the stand-around needs to consist of annual training requirements having nothing to do with safety. There has to be one head for the 200+ participants.

Oh, and PMO has to be sitting outside waiting to collar everyone peeling out of the parking lots.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
I've always been a huge fan of the 4-5 hour "briefs" that are held in a facility with a seating capacity at least 30% less than the size of the organization...and no A/C. The A/V systems have to be bent, delaying the start for at least a half hour. The briefs have to be all Power Point (with the "same old videos", none of which work due to NMCI restrictions), and have to consist of no more than 10% safety-related material. 90% of the stand-around needs to consist of annual training requirements having nothing to do with safety. There has to be one head for the 200+ participants.

Oh, and PMO has to be sitting outside waiting to collar everyone peeling out of the parking lots.

Wait, I've been to those safety briefs too. Do we know each other???

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Too many Marines have drank the Kool-aide on VFFs for them to be banned. Even though the SgtMaj Mafia probably hates them, the extreme PT subculture in the Corps is actually strong enough to resist it. The USAF is bureaucratic enough to try to ban them, but not hard-assed enough to successfully enforce it. The Navy? Well, you already have to wear socks with them. I think VFF's days are numbered in the USN. They'll probably say that people will stub their toes aboard ship, or some other lame excuse.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
(summed it up pretty well)

At the far end of that extreme PT subculture there are the outliers who spend tons of money supporting the flashy marketing nutrition supplement industry (stuff that the flight surgeons usually start off by saying "This hasn't been banned... yet"). We have a few folks like that in the Navy too, just not very many of them.

On the other hand, I saw a "1.5" bumper sticker (a parody on the 13.1 and 26.2 stickers that are popular with distance runners) in a Navy parking lot. Now that is some great satire- both laugh-out-loud funny and at sad at the same time. And I know there are a few guys like that hiding out in the Corps, they are just few and far between.

There is a happy medium in between the freaks and fatties!

KBayDog

I think VFF's days are numbered in the USN. They'll probably say that people will stub their toes aboard ship, or some other lame excuse.

As you know, I'm not a VFF dude, but I don't give a rat's ass if someone else wears them. In this day and age of imminent DoD draw-downs... while simultaneously fighting a war in three theaters...I think we've got closer alligators (to use that puke-inducing phrase) than the equipment one uses to remain in shape. They're just shoes, folks. If VFF keep Marines from actually being in the 3-mile club, and Squids from living up to the 1.5 sticker on Jim123's car, let's smile and get on with our lives.

Anyway, speaking of the USN: On my last non-Carnival boat ride, the carnival that was the boat's gym put up signs banning them, with no explanation. (No explanations, of course, but the ubiquitous "...or the gym will be secured" warning.) Nobody - including the guy "in charge" of the gym, the ships safety officer (a buddy of mine), etc. - seemed to know why they were banned. They just were - like everything else in SWOville, The Signs said it was verboten, so nobody dared to challenge it. Nobody challenges The Signs...except the Five Man Electrical Band, but that's another story for another day. Flippin' rebellious Canadians.

There were a myriad of signs with other nonsensical rules at that gym: No tank tops/sleeveless shirts "...or the gym will be secured"; everyone must have a towel (and it must be a towel, not a washcloth or old t-shirt) "...or the gym will be secured"; you cannot be on the treadmill or elliptical trainer for more than 30 minutes, even if nobody is waiting, "...or the gym...", well, you get the idea.

Time to go for a run.

KBayDog

What happens if you tear down the signs. Fight the man!

Oh, I did. I also got me a pen and a paper, and I made up my own little signs. :D

Little piece of advice, JOs - if it's written on the white board in the ready room, it's gospel. Even to filthy hinges and field grade. Just throwing that out there. ;)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I said, "Thank you Lord for thinking about me, I'm alive and doing fine"

Signs, signs everywhere, there's signs
Blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Lucy

As a note, wore my VFFs during some shop tours friday, had no trouble at all. And some of you guys should try wearing them when in civis. Weird looks yes but lots of people ask about them, say how cool they are, and my shins and legs have never felt better.:)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The gheyness has spread greenside. Formation run...LOI specifies no five fingers.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The gheyness has spread greenside. Formation run...LOI specifies no five fingers.

Is that even a legal order? That's like saying "no orange shoes." Or when the SgtMaj tells everyone "NO SILKIES!!" and all the pilots show up in silkies out of spite.

Get a life people.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Whoa, looks like the Air Force actually has it right...

Q: Are Vibram 5 Finger shoes authorized?

A: The 5 finger shoe, also known as the barefoot shoe is classified as an athletic shoe by the Air Force Uniform office and is considered authorized for wear with the PTU.