• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

the process....

Status
Not open for further replies.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Hello everybody. I'm currently a sophomore in high school, but I'm thinking ahead to my future career options, and I figured now is the best time to start taking some action.

My dream is to be a fighter pilot. I've attended air shows, learned about the life style and the reality (not the Top Gun "reality"), and I've finally decided that I want this to be my career. I've looked at the pipeline diagram, and other threads loosely regarding the process and steps to becoming a fighter pilot, but I just want a straight answer for myself.

So far, I've figured this much out, and I know I'm leaving plenty out, and that's why I want a straight answer. So please, someone help.

1. Finish high school with high academic standings.
2. Attend University of San Diego.
3. Begin NROTC.
4. Finish college as an officer in the USN.
5. ?????.
6. Start preflight at Pensacola.
7. Go SNA.
8. Start primary.
9. Go strike intermediate/advanced at NAS Meridian.
10. Go advanced at NAS Meridian.
11. Start F-14.

(This is at least how I want it to go, but I know there is a possibility it won't.)

I'm probably way off, and could someone please help me out with number 5? Keep in mind i'm only 15. Thanks a lot, and please, no flaming.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I'd put Go SNA before you graduate from college (since you get picked while still in the program) and there really is no number five if you get SNA. You graduate, wait around and go to API, etc. Still by the time you get out to the fleet (if it all works out) F-14s will most likely be gone. Study hard now and get good habits..you're gonna need them to get jet grades.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
i know but one can dream. its a beautiful piece of machinery. i first sat in one when i was 8 at the mcas miramar air show back in 96.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
oh and also, what are the pros and cons to NROTC and BDCP? I'll prolly just end up going ROTC.

fraz76

Low...great way to take action. Start learning the admission process of both USD and NROTC. So that you have an idea on what they are looking for and what you need to get in.

At USD check out there website on what you would like to major..I am not saying to decide now, but to have a general idea. http://www.sandiego.edu/

Here is the ROTC website: http://www.sandiego.edu/~nrotc/

The pros about NROTC is that you get an advance introduction into the Navy to help you adjust and adapt to military life. You can get a scholarship to pay or help pay for your tutition, that's the BIG one. Getting a SNA billet is in your favor by being in ROTC.

Pro about BDCP is that you can just apply for the billet you want. And get paid a salary while in school. They will not pay your tutition but you can use your salary anyway you choose. Its very competitive. For a guy your age I would shoot for ROTC.

If you really want to get the gouge about the Navy and Naval Aviation at your age...Here’s something to look into the US Naval Sea Cadet Corp. www.seacadets.org read up on them. The have a locator for the entire US.

I am a former Sea Cadet and let me tell you, I learn so much about the Navy it’s not funny and I had great times. You will HAVE to go to a two week Boot Camp at either Great Lakes or a locally run training camp. Former / retired / active-duty Navy, and other adult voulenteers run the cadet corps program. The Sea Cadet are not Junior ROTC programs at some High Schools. We always made fun of them. It is supported by the Navy League.

After Boot camp you can then apply for advanced training from almost every community in the Navy. Programs such as the Seals, Seabees, Diver/EOD, Security, Ships, Subs and your goal Naval Aviation.

Now with NavAir there is Basic Airmen, Advanced Airmen, and FAA Ground School. Some of the Sea Cadets get their pilots license. Sea Cadet HQ in Arlington, VA have authorized there own version of Gold and Silver wings to recognized these outstanding Sea Cadets with there FAA License. I know that some of the advanced airmen training the cadets get some simulator time.

The cadets mirror the enlisted side of the Navy, its are great way to get exposed to the Navy at a young age. You will be issued orders to Navy base and obtain a Sea Cadet/DOD ID card. So by being in the Cadet Corps this will help your application for ROTC or the Academy. It’s a great program.

In the Sea Cadets I personnel have done recruiting duty, security training, color guard detail, went out to sea on the USS Anzio for two weeks. While onboard I conducted a weapons load at Naval Station Yorktown, checked out the ins and outs of the SH-60B Seahawk Helo and made a port stops to Canada and Boothbay, Maine. I was 16 years old at the time on board the Anzio. Some of the ships crew thought I was a reservist and when I told them how old I was there jaws dropped…hahahhahhaha. They would say “your still in HS”…

You have to attend monthly drills but it various from unit to unit. And you do these great training mostly during the summer. Some units go on trips to ships, air stations. So, if you need some more info shoot me an email.

Good Luck and Fly Navy,
Fraz76

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think you're setting good goals for yourself. Though like the others said, I highly doubt F-14's will be around when your time comes. I would add that college should be enjoyable so something like NROTC would allow you to have a college life while still pursuing your goals. Just remember, have an open mind in the end. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting fighters but the Navy fly's many different platforms and their needs usually come first during selection. Buy a pair of navy pilot wings and put them in a place that's readily available so they can remind you where you're going and what you want. Good luck.

FLY NAVY
shades_125.gif

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Thanks everyone. This is the perfect amount of information I need. I'll definitely take a good look at Sea Cadets. Thanks again. :)

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
but seriously does someone know why the tomcat is going to retired its a very effective plane from what i can tell

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^ There's a thread that might touch on that question in the Military Aviation in General forum, "Tomcat or Hornet". You might look there for info...6 or so pages of info. I talked to a Tomcat pilot recently and he gave me, what I think, is a great analogy, "the Tomcat is a great plane, maybe the best, but the role of Naval fighters has changed since the USSR went to ****. Using the Tomcat to drop bombs instead of a plane like the Hornet is like going to the store in your Ferrari rather than taking the Honda sitting next to it."

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
The tomcat was designed in the early 60's. It is old, there are little spare parts, no new airframes and expensive to operate. The follow on is the FA-18 E/F and then later the JSF.

Goodluck and go NROTC, it is a tough adjustment at first, but you will be better accustomed to the Navy upon commissioning. Also, your chances of getting an SNA billet are high at USNA or NROTC than in BDCP or just plain OCS.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
I'm from San Francisco, and I'd rather stay in the state going to USD instead of cross-country to Annapolis for USNA.

Do you think the would USN consider re-establishing some kinda contract with Grumman to start making more D models or better if the government wouldnt dump so much money into the USAF and more into the USN?

kimphil

lowslow,

You're obviously fixated on the Tomcat. However, the future lies in the JSF, not the Tomcat. The JSF will have better avionics, stealth capabilities, a legit dual fighter/attack capability, and most important, be cheaper to procure and operate.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
When you guys say JSF, I assume you mean the Joint Strike Fighter, I believe it's the F-35? Is that correct? Are they bringing more of these into commission now? I know there's a new Harrier in the works, and if I'm correct it's the F-35.

clubjdh

The F-35 is the JSF. There will be three different models built, one for the Navy, one for the Marines, and one for the Air Force. The Navy variant will be designed for the increased g-loading on the gear and struts, the Marine variant will have a rotating exhaust nozzle for V/STOL, and the Air Force variant will be the plain aircraft. I'm not sure about the Navy and AF sides, but I know the Marine Corps has "planned" on having an all-JSF jet fleet by 2012. That means no 18's or Harriers. And to the best of my knowledge, since it probably would come up, we won't be getting the Super Hornet at any time.

As for the original post, the 14 won't be in the Navy for much more than 4 years, roughly. Yes, alot of people grow up wanting to fly the turkey, but there will be much more out there when you get in. Listen to what these guys have already said about college choices and possibilities. Being a Boat Schooler I honestly can only say out of 965 grads we had about 350 USN SNAs and 50 USMC SNAs. Yes, you have to wait until senior year and you could get shafted with SWO, but to me its all worth it in the end. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.