• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The PRK process from start to finish

capitoljake13

Sorry this is a little late. I don't have a prescription rewetting med, however sometimes I do find that I need to use some saline drops.
I've found that when I'm really well hydrated I don't need to use the drops - try drinking 70+ ounces of water a day and see if you don't feel the need for the drops before you call on a prescription.

+1 -- Check your diet. A very small percentage will have serious dryness issues but play on odds and assume it's not you. Diet is big.. eating healthy? how often you drinkin? sodium intake? water water water... etc.

Yeah I think it could be a diet thing. I eat a lot of hamburger helper, spaghetti, and sandwiches lol. I weaned myself off the drops to see what would happen, and I could see fine without them. I do see better if I use some once a day or every couple of days, but I can open my eyes in the morning now :). I was rubbing my eyes a lot before, so thats probably why.

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
I've noticed a huge difference in my dryness by reducing my sodium intake. I LOVE salt and reducing my intake was a tough thing to do but in the long run, its better for you all around. I noticed it immediately in my eyes though!:eek:. Just my .02.
Oh yea, and like everyone else said....drink drink drink. (water that is:icon_tong)

LEG DAY

Had my PRK done 4 hours ago. My eyes are starting to hurt a little bit. The procedure was easy, I was only under the laser for 8 seconds. The best part was getting to smell your cornea burning..

Had my PRK done 4 hours ago. My eyes are starting to hurt a little bit. The procedure was easy, I was only under the laser for 8 seconds. The best part was getting to smell your cornea burning..

Nothing like that smell of cauterized cornea. My GF freaked at that. Saturday is gonna be rough, man. I walked out of that place on a Thursday all cocky, saying I could drive home. Yeah it gets alot worse before it gets better. But its still the best $4K ever spent.

P.S. Dont whip your head around fast in the morning, especially if facing a fan. Blowing air in eyes that are trying to heal feels like something the Spanish Inquisition would have come up with. And no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Leg, you've got the spirit, man. I was so psyched just to get it done that I almost welcomed the pain. It sucks, but its so worth it. Be prepared to lose almost all your reading vision over the next week or two. I was literally like 2 inches from the screen still seeing blurry trying to finish my last few papers of grad school.

LEG DAY

2nd day piece of cake, and I was seeing 20/20 already this morning in the docs office. Tomorrow is supposed to be my worst day, we'll see. If its not, i'm gonna go hog hunting. Just to add some more info for those who are researching, I was 20/30(L) and 20/70(R) before op and the procedure cost me $3,300 bucks total for both eyes with a military discount.

Hog hunting 3 days post-op? Don't let your balls get caught in the door on the way out. Are you sure they didn't just put a few drops in and then shine one of those laser pointers at you? I kid; you smelled the famous burnt cornea smell, so I believe you...I had PRK back on the 3rd; thought I was good to go too until the second night--wanted to claw my eyes out. It passed, and I'd been warned, so no big deal. Still though, unless you've got some Darth Vader, full on all-black mask to go outside and hunt in, I'd expect light sensitivity issues to knock you out this close to the procedure.

LEG DAY

Yesterday was actually the easiest. I decided not to go hunting but I think I could have. I'm 4 days post op now and I think its getting better...

LEG DAY

7 days post op and the discomfort is gone. My vision is really blurry and i'm getting double vision/ghosting at long distances, also my rear vision SUCKS. Is this normal, or should I call my lawyer?

7 days post op and the discomfort is gone. My vision is really blurry and i'm getting double vision/ghosting at long distances, also my rear vision SUCKS. Is this normal, or should I call my lawyer?

If you have REAR vision, then you must have a leg up on all of us. Yes, it is definately normal for your vision to totally suck, near and far. I had double vision too for about a week. It will get worse before it gets better.

zachw

A quick synopsis of my (ongoing) PRK experience. My vision was 20/70 with astigmatism in my left eye and only 20/25 in my right, so I decided to save the $2K and only get my left done. Anyone else done the same?

Surgery Day: No pain at all, 25 mg of Valium and a few Ativan and I had no trouble getting through the night...
Day 2: Some mild itchiness, no dryness, and vision the best it was in the whole process. 20/25 at my post-op appointment that morning. Felt good enough to go out and stay out way too late that night (Friday)
Day 3: Going out was a bad idea. Felt like I had sand under my eye all day Saturday, and it hurt bad enough I couldn't keep EITHER eyes open. Took more painkillers, slept all day.
Day 4 (today): Feels so much better. Vision is pretty bad and there's a haze over everything, but no pain at all. Feel like I have an eyelash in my eye every once in a while. No dryness.

All in all not a bad experience. I'm kind of wishing I would have pony'd up the money and gotten both done even though I didn't have to have it in my right.