• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The PRK process from start to finish

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
For anyone considering getting/not getting PRK, here's my results after 1 year:

Before I had the surgery, my vision was that 20/400 in both eyes. Now, a year later I have 20/20 or better in both eyes. Best investment in my own personal well-being I've ever made.

I had quite a lot of discomfort for about 2 weeks after the surgery, but it varies person to person. Still, I would have gone through much worse for the results. Best of luck to you all.

sanders

I had PRK 1.5 years ago. It went very smoothly and my waiver/flight physical were both successful. However, ever since I had my surgery, I have a pain in my eyes that never happened before the surgery. basically, if I ever rub my eyes, they ache like crazy for a few minutes. I have learned to not rub them, but sometimes I do it in my sleep and it hurts so bad I wake up! This never happened before my surgery. Other than that I could not be happier with the results. Has this happened to anyone else?

sbudnik1

pilot
my 2 cents

I just passed the one month mark since my surgery date, 6/10 and can guarantee that PRK is the best thing since sliced bread and the invention of the automobile. I went from 20/ a zillion to 20/15 in both eyes so far. Hopefully they remain stable henceforth till I am eligible for the waiver, but based on the results so far I wholeheartedly recommend anyone nervous about the procedure to get it done immediately. If anyone is getting it done in the DC metro area, I recommend Dr. Rubinfeld at Washington Vision center.

NavalAviatorDad

My son had Wavefront Guided PRK in December 2007. Normal recovery, no post-op complications; 20/15 results in both eyes; released from civilian eye surgeon in April 2008. Submitted his OCS / BDCP / SNA application in May 2008, including all documentation of his PRK; Pro Rec'd in June 2008, pending security and medical clearances; clearances received, signed contract and sworn in late July 2008 as OC / BDCP / SNA Designator 1390. He graduates college in May 2010, after which he heads to OCS, then on to flight school to study / train for the pilot slot they are holding for him.

The links by the OP at the very beginning of this thread no longer work. Searching AW and Google yielded either dated or unclear results. So here are the questions of this concerned Dad:

Is he currently required to request a PRK waiver? Or, is a PRK waiver no longer required? Or, is it possible that with all the documentation of his PRK submitted with his application which was accepted as submitted, that he has already received his waiver via the medical clearance, evidenced by the Board acceptance and execution of his contract?

His understanding is that he does not need to request a PRK waiver now. No one (i.e. his OR last July; his current Lt. to whom he reports; etc.) has counseled him otherwise.

Guidance (and indulgence) are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cdmike112

Nugget, I am applying with the Marine Corp for an SNA slot. From what I gather it is a different process than the Navy. I actually had to have a complete flight physical and a waiver granted by NAMI before the Marine Corp would offer me a flight contract. I guess the Navy guys finish this stuff after OCS. Capitaljake, I am not sure if Restasis is the same type of meds as your orientment but it is prescribed to help create natural tears and lubricate your eyes. From what i've been told, it is fine to still be on restasis when you apply for your waiver.

nugget61

pilot

Is he currently required to request a PRK waiver? Or, is a PRK waiver no longer required? Or, is it possible that with all the documentation of his PRK submitted with his application which was accepted as submitted, that he has already received his waiver via the medical clearance, evidenced by the Board acceptance and execution of his contract?

His understanding is that he does not need to request a PRK waiver now. No one (i.e. his OR last July; his current Lt. to whom he reports; etc.) has counseled him otherwise.

Guidance (and indulgence) are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If he is already sworn in then he has everything squared away. He would have already been given an "approval" for the PRK thus far and will get the actual waiver at/after he attends OCS.

NavalAviatorDad

Nugget (or anyone): Yes, he is already sworn in. How will he get the waiver at / after OCS? Will that be part of his physical exam by Navy doctors at OCS? Is there more paperwork that he will need to submit at that time, including his civilian eye surgeon documentation (which was previously submitted with his application to BDCP / OCS) ? Please clarify. Thanks so much.

nugget61

pilot
Nugget (or anyone): Yes, he is already sworn in. How will he get the waiver at / after OCS? Will that be part of his physical exam by Navy doctors at OCS? Is there more paperwork that he will need to submit at that time, including his civilian eye surgeon documentation (which was previously submitted with his application to BDCP / OCS) ? Please clarify. Thanks so much.

Frequently what he already has is called a waiver, however that is an incorrect name for it. What he has is a pre-waiver, which will allow him into BDCP/OCS after a positive review of his PRK history. At OCS he'll get a physical where they will again test all aspects of his vision and this data will be used to earn the waiver.
I have been told to bring 2 copies of my entire PRK history for the exam at OCS, despite them already having it from when I submitted my package as well.

Z-Man

full deflection
Hello everyone,

This forum seems to have a lot of useful information compared to other blogs/websites.

I have read through a lot of this forum and it has definitely cleared up many of my doubts concerning my situation.

However, there are still a few things that are bothering me and keeping me from going full steam in pursuing a flight contract through Marine Corps PLC.

I saw it mentioned above that someone had 20/ a zillion uncorrected VA before PRK surgery. That is more like me...haha. My actual error of refraction right now is -6.50 and has been stable for about 2 years. I was just wondering if anyone has input for me on how I should proceed.

I'm 18 years old and about to start my freshman year as a mechanical and aerospace engineer. I have read that the Navy/Civilian doctors recommend that the candidate be 21 years old. Is that always the case?

If it is, I have to wait three more agonizing years? I just want the assurance that my VA is up to par. Believe me folks when I say that it is my dream to fly and serve my country. My eyesight is the only thing in the way.

Thank you.

Zman,

The reason that eye surgeons prefer to perform PRK on those 21 and older is to be sure that the patient's eyes are not still changing. You would not want to have PRK done and then have the results complicated because your eyes changed over time. Your myopia is within the limits outlined by NOMI for aviators. You have plenty of time to get PRK and pursue a flight contract, this is not something that you want to rush. Do alot of research on this forum and elsewhere. Talk to an eye surgeon, they usually will do a consultation for free

Z-Man

full deflection
Thank you for the quick reply Vas Deferens.

Does anyone know when MOS selection is during Marine PLC? Should I just wait and do PLC Juniors after I get my eyes fixed or go ahead with the Freshman/Sophomore 6 week courses?

If I go into Freshman/Sophomore PLC will my eyes automatically disqualify me for Aviation?

I've read "FS" meaning Final Selection...? Is that before or after your commission? Is this concerning Navy OCS or both?

Sorry for the battery of questions.

Thanks again.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Thank you for the quick reply Vas Deferens.

Does anyone know when MOS selection is during Marine PLC? Should I just wait and do PLC Juniors after I get my eyes fixed or go ahead with the Freshman/Sophomore 6 week courses?

If I go into Freshman/Sophomore PLC will my eyes automatically disqualify me for Aviation?

I've read "FS" meaning Final Selection...? Is that before or after your commission? Is this concerning Navy OCS or both?

Sorry for the battery of questions.

Thanks again.

Air Contracts (and Law) get their contract before attending OCS. For the rest, MOS selection is not until TBS which is after OCS. If you dont meet the requirements before you apply, you will not get selected for air. As far as going to PLC before your eyes are corrected, I have HEARD of people getting into the program as a ground contract and then switching their contract to air after OCS (before commissioning) and after they have met the requirements for air (ie getting PRK). Im not really positive on the particulars of this and it would be best explained by an OSO.

There is also the option of going ground and then going after one of the few air MOS slots that open up at TBS, but its my understanding that they are pretty far and few between...its been done though by, I believe, some members of this forum.

I think the "final select" term is one used on the Navy side. Could be wrong, but I have never heard of it.

Hey everyone - I had PRK on both eyes back in April of 08, and received an enhancement on my right eye in December 08. I just went through MEPS last week and already submitted the paperwork for the PRK wavier.

However, when I wake up in the morning my eyes are very dry. I have to put in eye drops so they don't hurt when I open them. I did use that restasis stuff for a while, and it helped a lot. Even since I got off it my eyes are dry again. If I go back to the doc to get another restasis prescription, would this disqualify me at the flight physical at OCS? If I don't get on restasis, will they let me keep over the counter lubrication drops with me? Thoughts anyone??

nugget61

pilot
Hey everyone - I had PRK on both eyes back in April of 08, and received an enhancement on my right eye in December 08. I just went through MEPS last week and already submitted the paperwork for the PRK wavier.

However, when I wake up in the morning my eyes are very dry. I have to put in eye drops so they don't hurt when I open them. I did use that restasis stuff for a while, and it helped a lot. Even since I got off it my eyes are dry again. If I go back to the doc to get another restasis prescription, would this disqualify me at the flight physical at OCS? If I don't get on restasis, will they let me keep over the counter lubrication drops with me? Thoughts anyone??

Sorry this is a little late. I don't have a prescription rewetting med, however sometimes I do find that I need to use some saline drops.
I've found that when I'm really well hydrated I don't need to use the drops - try drinking 70+ ounces of water a day and see if you don't feel the need for the drops before you call on a prescription.