• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The perfect candidate for what remains of the Navy IRR-ASP program?

tech01

I realize this forum is focused on the Aviation Community, but I'm hoping for some thoughts\feedback regarding my situation as a IRR-VTU Reservist.

I'll try to stay on point...
  1. ~ 10 years Active Duty (all in the late 1980's and 1990's)
  2. ~ 8 years, 11 months as a SELRES and VTU (18 yrs 11 mths 10 dys Good Years as of 16 March 2018, which is my adjusted anniversary date)
  3. In VTU Unit since August 2015 due to HYT (E-6 \ IT1)
  4. Original yearly anniversary was month of September, but was recalculated and shifted to March in 2015. In 2015, I submitted my retirement package and learned I wasn't retirement eligible due to an issue with my point capture, so they recalculated my points and changed my anniversary date.
So here's my question...
It's time for me to make a change. I'm living and working overseas as a DoD contractor and it's not easy getting back and forth for drills, dealing with all the NOSC requirements in the form of GMT\PFA-PRT\Readiness Review, as well as the several events I support yearly on ADT orders. Given my situation with 18 yrs 11 mths 10 days for good years, I believe I'm a candidate for what remains of the IRR-ASP program, wrapping up my last year and one month doing the correspondence courses.

One other question relates to my anniversary. Since my anniversary date back in March of this year, I've already completed several drills and was on mission on one set of ADT orders already. I'm going to be supporting another event next month (July) on ADT orders. Wondering if there is some way to request my anniversary date be pushed out to August-September, allowing me to show a clean 19 yrs on my ASOSH (Point Capture), so that I can focus my last year (year 20) through correspondence courses and hopefully the 15 gratuitous points.

Note that I'm under contract until December 2019.

Thanks much for your time and any thoughts\suggestions anyone has in advance.

V/R,
IT1

m5h9

My 2 cents. It seems that courses are going under the CAC firewall. Your plan would be doable today, but not sure about tomorrow. I would wait until you are past your 19 years, get courses done on civilian time, 50 points worth, and tranfer over. Also I don’t quite follow how to navigate split anniversary years, as i didnt have to do that, and i am highly doubtful that your anniversary date can be arbitrarily moved, that seems set in stone to me.

Last edited:

tech01

My 2 cents. It seems that courses are going under the CAC firewall. Your plan would be doable today, but not sure about tomorrow. I would wait until you are past your 19 years, get courses done on civilian time, 50 points worth, and tranfer over. Also I don’t quite follow how to navigate split anniversary years, as i didnt have to do that, and i am highly doubtful that your anniversary date can be arbitrarily moved, that seems set in stone to me.
Thank you so much. Appreciate the feedback. I'm still doing my research and looking into my options. Fortunately I have my DoD Contractor CAC which gets me access to some of the resources I might need to complete the necessary courses. Planning to call the PERS counselors soon and discuss with them.
V/R,
IT1

Thank you so much. Appreciate the feedback. I'm still doing my research and looking into my options. Fortunately I have my DoD Contractor CAC which gets me access to some of the resources I might need to complete the necessary courses. Planning to call the PERS counselors soon and discuss with them.
V/R,
IT1
Three years ago I’d have said “go for it!(IRR-ASP), but they’ve been such douches to IRR-ASP that I’m reluctant o give that same advice.

If I understand your situation correctly, here’s what I’d do:
-use that CAC card to get 50(alternatively, 35, but I’d do 50) points now, but...
-don’t hit “submit” or o/w finish them until you’re in you’re final year.
-once you’re in you’re 20th year AND you have 50 pts, go IRR-ASP.

It was a slog for me doing all the Reserve stuff in a paid billet 15 minutes fm home, so I can see why you want out. The system (pre BRS) is designed to make you hang around those last few years even when you don’t want to.

no one made it

ASP or bust
Hello, everyone. Trying to fact check and deconflict here. The instructions say IRR personnel can do "generally do up to 29 days of ADT or as otherwise authorized approved". Pretty subjective, do any of you know of someone in ASP status that has had ADT orders longer than 29 days?

13yr active CPO and now have 2nd good year SELRES. Looking at VTU or ASP because I suck at SELRES. I have a contract that takes me into my 19th year, so they'd have to let me stay ASP until I hit 20 even with the new guidance.

There are abundant funded requirements for me locally for bona fide operational support. So if I can get at least 35 days of ADT each year plus my 15 membership pts, I could finish out those last 5 good years. Right??? Thanks.

Last edited:

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Hello, everyone. Trying to fact check and deconflict here. The instructions say IRR personnel can do "generally do up to 29 days of ADT or as otherwise authorized approved". Pretty subjective, do any of you know of someone in ASP status that has had ADT orders longer than 29 days?

13yr active CPO and now have 2nd good year SELRES. Looking at VTU or ASP because I suck at SELRES. I have a contract that takes me into my 19th year, so they'd have to let me stay ASP until I hit 20 even with the new guidance.

There are abundant funded requirements for me locally for bona fide operational support. So if I can get at least 35 days of ADT each year plus my 15 membership pts, I could finish out those last 5 good years. Right??? Thanks.

Keep in mind, you just have to accrue 50 points. If you're using ADT for some portion of that, it doesn't have to be consecutive or back-to-back days. As long as the days/points fall in the right anniversary year, you're good.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I'm living and working overseas as a DoD contractor and it's not easy getting back and forth for drills, dealing with all the NOSC requirements in the form of GMT\PFA-PRT\Readiness Review, as well as the several events I support yearly on ADT orders. Given my situation with 18 yrs 11 mths 10 days for good years, I believe I'm a candidate for what remains of the IRR-ASP program, wrapping up my last year and one month doing the correspondence courses.
No reason you cannot finish two more years in the VTU and it seems like your OPTEMPO vis-a-vis ADT orders is self-inflicted. Simply stop doing ADT orders and do your basic medical/dental/etc. requirements in a single trip and use the other drills for ADDU support (See below).

Also, if you are a DoD contractor and have access to a military of gov't installation in your area that has U.S. forces (Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Navy), you can go ADDU to that command and will not even have to travel. You can also have a "compelling needs letter" generated to accompany your ADDU letter which will allow you to maintain your clearance in the VTU and in support of the command or entity you are helping. As an IT, I cannot imagine not being able to find an entity at your DoD contractor command who would not want some free labor. I, myself, am getting read to support a local command with free support in the same manner (i.e., ADDU & compelling needs letter).

I can help with the letters, etc. PM me.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Keep in mind, you just have to accrue 50 points. If you're using ADT for some portion of that, it doesn't have to be consecutive or back-to-back days. As long as the days/points fall in the right anniversary year, you're good.
You still have to complete your drills to have a qualifying year. Your drills plus your 15 gratuitous easily gets this accomplished and the ADT does not count toward the 50 inactive point requirement.

1537632561509.png
The Drills/Funeral Honor Duty (i.e., IDT) PLUS Membership must be at least 50 points to earn a "qualifying year" towards retirement (reference RESPERS M-1001.5)

DoD Inst 1215.06 gives you what equates to IDT for qualifying retirement purposes. Please note, ATP Non-Pay Drills count towards this total. For example, if you took AA's for a DWE (two days; 4 points) and then did ATP Non-Pay Drills for two days (4 points) you would be "even" from a points standpoint.

1537632823477.png

no one made it

ASP or bust
You still have to complete your drills to have a qualifying year. Your drills plus your 15 gratuitous easily gets this accomplished and the ADT does not count toward the 50 inactive point requirement.

We're talking ASP here not VTU, so there are no drills to complete. ADT and any other type of active duty does absolutely count toward a good year, day for day. 35 days ADT/ADSW + 0 drills + 15 membership pts = 50 pts & a good year. I'm just hoping to hear from someone that's actually had more than 29 days of ADT while in an ASP status.

tech01

Thank you all for the advice. Very grateful as this opens my eyes as to where I'm at. I've just received some gouge from a Civilian at PERS-912 who took a look at my point capture, and based on the fact that I will have hit 19 yrs 11 months 10 days on my anniversary date of 16 March 2019, he's saying immediately after 16 March, I need to accumulate 7 points, and will likely then be retirement eligible. I have nothing more I need to do in the current year as I've hit all the wickets and time for a good year. I just need to focus on the 7 points AFTER 16 March 2019.

I may try and stick it out in VTU, but also still curious about the IRR-ASP options to accumulate those points next year. Reading the instruction for the "New" (and not so improved) IRR-ASP program, I seem to be the perfect candidate. Fully Medically\Physically Ready, Mobilization Asset if called upon, > 17 good years. I just seemingly need a method of accumulating 7 points (which seemingly somehow equates to the ~ 20 days of service I'm short of 20 good years as of 16 March 2019).

Thank you to everyone and I hope this discussion helps others searching for these sorts of details.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Thank you all for the advice. Very grateful as this opens my eyes as to where I'm at. I've just received some gouge from a Civilian at PERS-912 who took a look at my point capture, and based on the fact that I will have hit 19 yrs 11 months 10 days on my anniversary date of 16 March 2019, he's saying immediately after 16 March, I need to accumulate 7 points, and will likely then be retirement eligible. I have nothing more I need to do in the current year as I've hit all the wickets and time for a good year. I just need to focus on the 7 points AFTER 16 March 2019.

I may try and stick it out in VTU, but also still curious about the IRR-ASP options to accumulate those points next year. Reading the instruction for the "New" (and not so improved) IRR-ASP program, I seem to be the perfect candidate. Fully Medically\Physically Ready, Mobilization Asset if called upon, > 17 good years. I just seemingly need a method of accumulating 7 points (which seemingly somehow equates to the ~ 20 days of service I'm short of 20 good years as of 16 March 2019).

Thank you to everyone and I hope this discussion helps others searching for these sorts of details.

Order your ASHOSH point capture - it is not worth betting your entire retirement on "gouge from a civilian". Until you are seeing 20 "good" years for retirement, you have no retirement. By good, that is 50 points for the year (15 for being alive in the IRR / VTU / SelRes and 35+ from any other source.) Also, don't stop at 50 - pad your year with a few extra points as from personal experience I had a point capture that showed 1 point less than the point capture the year previously. Its your retirement, don't risk it.

tech01

Order your ASHOSH point capture - it is not worth betting your entire retirement on "gouge from a civilian". Until you are seeing 20 "good" years for retirement, you have no retirement. By good, that is 50 points for the year (15 for being alive in the IRR / VTU / SelRes and 35+ from any other source.) Also, don't stop at 50 - pad your year with a few extra points as from personal experience I had a point capture that showed 1 point less than the point capture the year previously. Its your retirement, don't risk it.

Thank you. Good point. I've been watching my point-capture like a hawk. I've hit the 50 points I need for this year. Problem is my anniversary doesn't fall right on the 20 year boundary. When my anniversary rolls around again next March 16th, it'll show 19 yrs 11 mths 10 dys (I'm actually there already from a point capture scenario...it's just that my anniversary isn't until March). I'm assuming that the person I conversed with at PERS-912 was looking at the fact that on March 16th, 2019, I'll be short ~ 20 days of service, which there seems to be a formula to calculate that time in terms of "points".

Between now and my next anniversary date, it doesn't make sense for me to do much other than hit the requirements for mobilization readiness, as the points between now and next March are essentially meaningless. However, that's not the way I operate, and I will continue to drill and remain in good standing. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can safely transition to the IRR-ASP and finish this out that way, allowing me some flexibility with regards to all the requirements of the NOSC. I could shift my focus to knocking out courses and having them ready to submit the day after my point capture rolls over to 19 yrs 11 mths 10 dys. And certainly I'll do more than just the the minimum 7 points worth of courses. I just need to determine the feasibility of this plan, allowing me to accumulate the points towards retirement using courses as opposed to continuing to drill.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated...

tech01

Three years ago I’d have said “go for it!(IRR-ASP), but they’ve been such douches to IRR-ASP that I’m reluctant o give that same advice.

If I understand your situation correctly, here’s what I’d do:
-use that CAC card to get 50(alternatively, 35, but I’d do 50) points now, but...
-don’t hit “submit” or o/w finish them until you’re in you’re final year.
-once you’re in you’re 20th year AND you have 50 pts, go IRR-ASP.

It was a slog for me doing all the Reserve stuff in a paid billet 15 minutes fm home, so I can see why you want out. The system (pre BRS) is designed to make you hang around those last few years even when you don’t want to.

Trying to figure out the Navy NRTC system. Seems if you want to do courses, you now have to "Enroll" online to get the course materials. Not like the old days where the books included answer sheets and you mailed or faxed them in. Concern I have with this system is if I enroll now, but submit the completed courses "after" I've hit my anniversary year, will the points be captured in the anniversary year in which I submitted the answer sheets, or when I enrolled in the course? This is critical for my situation as the points I need are to wrap up year 20 AFTER my anniversary date.

Grateful for the feedback...

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Trying to figure out the Navy NRTC system. Seems if you want to do courses, you now have to "Enroll" online to get the course materials. Not like the old days where the books included answer sheets and you mailed or faxed them in. Concern I have with this system is if I enroll now, but submit the completed courses "after" I've hit my anniversary year, will the points be captured in the anniversary year in which I submitted the answer sheets, or when I enrolled in the course? This is critical for my situation as the points I need are to wrap up year 20 AFTER my anniversary date.

Grateful for the feedback...

The way the courses work (doesn't matter which one) is it does not matter when you enroll in the course, it does not matter when you submit the course, PERS will look at the completion date on your certificate (your courses will show that you completed course XYZ on a specific date). That is the date that PERS will enter into the system for your point capture.