• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Oops List

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
mules83 said:
What happened?
Engine crapped a turbine blade into a drop tank and the fuel spill ignited. We had a pretty good fuel fire on the flight deck and some burning fuel went into the catapult machinery room. We had it out and were recovering planes in about an hour. No real damage to the ship but the A-6 was cooked.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
teufelsurfer said:
the pilot suffered a PARTIAL EJECTION... yes that's right, his rocket fired him halfway through the canopy and stopped...
Actually, according to the story, his ejection gun didn't fire. The ejection seat stopped up the rails about 18 inches shy of actuating the gun. His seat slid up because of a broken top latch assembly window. This caused the drag chute gun to be tripped, shattering the canopy, and deploying his parachute, which is what is thought to have pulled his seat up through the now broken canopy. Very interesting story, and, at least in my humble opinion, evidence of a Higher Power. mules83, thanks for the link!

SemperFitz

Expert in Nameology
I'm almost famous...I took one of those pictures. (F18-toast.jpg) It was when I was a fueler at RDU in college and watched it crash! The pilot ejected and lived.

Attachments

• dan2cropped.jpg
    dan2cropped.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_0365.JPG
    100_0365.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 164

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The bubble bath one kills me, we did that to our sh-60s when underway once, the helo hangar had about 3 feet of foam on the deck in quite a short time. Was a gq drill and some dcfn turned the wrong valve.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was always paranoid of that happening. The last thing I wanted to do was an emergency reclaimation of the aircraft. Although since our starboard hangar leaked like a siv anyway, that poor aircraft looked like it was from a tent city w/ all the tarps over it.

Fighting_33

IRfly said:
I particularly like the "F14 flyby" (16 down, second column)...Only 30 days grounding...

The "caption" is incorrect.

The pilot of that F-14A is Dale Snodgrass (CAPT, USN ret), who was then the XO (later CO) of VF-33.

The carrier is the late USS America (CV-66).

The picture was taken during a dependents day cruise in late 1988. It was prebriefed. The photographers telephoto lens somewhat distorts the image.

More info, including an interview with "Snort" himself at:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/interviews/snodgrass/index-pf.html

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Sidewinders don't give you any warning like helfires that drop than ignite, they just ignite. That's another thing, why was it on the deck?

Having shot both of the missiles in question the Hellfire will give you an unlatched warning but that is it. There has been a case of a captive Hellfire sliding off the rail. It all comes down to a good pre-flight and good ordnance procedures.
As far as the launch goes there is no drop involved in the hellfire at all, it jumps off the HML motor burning and immediately climbs, sidewinder does not drop either.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ghost, I think you're missing the point of the post. The Hellfire missle does not drop. Period. If it did, it would drop onto the missle below it. While it may not fire immediately after pushing the pickle (there's a slight delay), it's still attached to the rail until the motor pushes it completely clear and it begins its pitch up.

Personally, I think it sounds like a shotgun going off, a lot of smoke, and then silence, all in about the time it takes to blink.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
The hellfire may ignite before it leaves the rail, but it doesn't really propel itself foward for about a third of a second after it falls. In the pic, how did the AIM-9 fall to the deck that quickly after igniting?

Ok listen kid I've shot 19 of them how about you? They ignite and begin an immediate climb. Accept the answer from those who have done it! The AIM-9 in the picture is an inert captive missile, the rail came off with it thus a structural failure

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Accept the answer from those who have done it!

Common problem on this site. You can tell them all the facts and experience you want, they still think their opinion is valid.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If you take a close look at the picture to the left of my post, you will notice that the Hellfire (if launched from the upper 2 rails) would fall into the lower 2 rails, if it fell. As mentioned several times all ready the Hellfire does not fall.

Edited: Ok nevermind the pic is too small, but the facts stay the same.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
ghost, what was his deal? None of his posts are around anymore, obviously for probably what are good reasons i'm guessing :)

Nose

pilot
I particularly like the "F14 flyby" (16 down, second column)...Only 30 days grounding... and the "speed enforcement" pics (3rd column). No, officer, I intend to never again drive over 55.

Yeah, that one is urban legend. Pilot didn't get any time off, it was Snort Snodgrass who ended up being COMFITWINGLANT. Heyjoe can tell you more about him...

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
Stealth%20fighter.jpg