• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Oops List

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Engine crapped a turbine blade into a drop tank and the fuel spill ignited. We had a pretty good fuel fire on the flight deck and some burning fuel went into the catapult machinery room. We had it out and were recovering planes in about an hour. No real damage to the ship but the A-6 was cooked.

I was the Asst Ops O in the squadron when it happened. One of the better stories out of it is the reaction of the pilot and B/N. The pilot, a first tour LT on his second cruise, blew the canopy as he told the B/N they were on fire, unstrapped immediately, had the good headwork to safe the upper and lower ejection handles, and started to climb out the right side of the airplane, since the fire was on the left side. He smacked the B/N, who was still sitting in his seat, and said "(callsign), GTF out of here, we're on fire" to which the B/N said something to the effect that he needed to properly shut down the system. The pilot said something to the effect that you and your f'ing system are both going to be charbroiled in a few moments if you don't haul ass now, at which point the pilot climbed out over the B/N and departed the plane.

If you can find the video of it, which has been posted on AW before, as I recall, you can watch the pilot walk across the B/N's legs on his way out.

Just prior to cruise, the B/N had some additional problems in the jet and was reassigned to the Oceana National Guard Intruder squadron.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
^ I've read that story before... can't remember where though. May have been in the thread ID referenced.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Due to a few near mid-air's and one very close mid-air between myself and a Cessna over Miramar in 98, I did training lecture on the subject. Specifically flying in and around Class B of San Diego. PSA Flt 182 hit a Cessna over North Park in 1978 (prior to the current airspace ratings) causing a very bad mishap. Last photo of the 727 prior to impact.

psa182.jpg