• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Latest Air Force Enquirer Cover...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
No, I'm not making this up. I mean sure, I guess we ought to (as uniformed services) talk about this, but really? Why are we incapable of having a rational debate about anything without "shock value" pictures? Linked here:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/06/airforce-airmen-breastfeeding-uniform-violation-060112/

061112af_breastfeeding_800.JPG

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Saw this at the Travis exchange yesterday. Sad as it is to say it, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was an actual hot-button topic in th Air Farce right now

jtmedli

pilot
Saw this at the Travis exchange yesterday. Sad as it is to say it, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was an actual hot-button topic in th Air Farce right now

^this made me laugh. :D

Seriously though, could they not have a little respect for the uniform and doing that somewhere where people wont see you with your $hit all jacked up. If a dude can't walk around with his cammie blouse unbuttoned/looking like trash, or otherwise, then why is it ok in this sense? I could care less about women breast-feeding, but I DO care about the uniform being halfway taken off in public to do so.

GroundPounder

I saw this a week or so ago, apparently the two air persons depicted were working with a reporter when their pictures were taken during a break in a reserve duty weekend. They sought out the attention, and in my opinion made themselves look a little ridiculous. I doubt that many people would mind if they breast fed their children in an inconspicuous fashion, but they chose to make a public spectacle about it in order to gain attention to themselves and their cause.

Renegade One

None

BackOrdered

Contributor
I could only imagine if they were Marines. The entire Corps would have a massive stand down and these pics would magically never see the light of day. If they some how did make news, the outcry from the Marine Corps would be massive and these ladies would be shown the door ASAP. Hence why the Air Force gets crap. Where is the pride instilled in these ladies to realize this might be a bad idea? Even the Navy has the infamous magical crusty Chief that appears from nowhere when your uniform is unsat with a nice loud, "HEY!....SHIPMATE!...."

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
What would happen if you had a female pilot doing this in your ready room? As long as she wasn't already a shitbird, I think she would get the "peers giving you the business about something they think is wrong without actually telling you it's wrong"act...At least until any O-4 walked in. At the very least, it's a callsign. So, Village Feeder, which briefing space are we in today?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
What would happen if you had a female pilot doing this in your ready room? As long as she wasn't already a shitbird, I think she would get the "peers giving you the business about something they think is wrong without actually telling you it's wrong"act...At least until any O-4 walked in. At the very least, it's a callsign. So, Village Feeder, which briefing space are we in today?

Bottle...too easy.

I'm generally of the mind that for women in "public"...as long as they aren't walking around topless...that the problem is ours. We need to get over being embarrassed or pissed or whatever about seeing a woman breastfeeding in public. However, I'm not sure that I feel that same when that woman is in uniform. To me, it's blanket over the baby time if you need to breastfeed in uniform. My .02. Thoughts?

Pags

N/A
pilot
On some level it shows how behind the times leadership is when they haven't already addressed this issue in uniform regs. Chicks breast feeding in public is nothing new, it was only a matter of time before it trickled in to the military.

That said, there are plenty of discreet options available for the nursing professional. I suspect Laleche league involvement, that group is a tad off the deep end.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
These chicks are going to get fried because they're supporting a political cause or issue via the use of their uniform. Not because breast feeding is somehow immoral or wrong. It's the same no-no as a Marine supporting a pro-life rally or demonstration in his uniform. These two chicks are going to get their bags smashed.

ReconJos

Female Penguin Emeritus
None
From the article: "The women are both members of the Air National Guard and are part of Mom2Mom, the breast-feeding support group that organized the photo shoot. Mom2Mom founder Crystal Scott said the group planned to use the pictures in posters to encourage new and expectant mothers at Fairchild and nearby Spokane to breastfeed."

It's not a political issue per se, but the airmen did pose in their uniforms as part of a campaign benefiting a private entity. Appearance in uniform gives the impression that you're speaking or acting on behalf of the service whose uniform you're wearing.