• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The high demand for civilian pilots

User1993

I've been hearing that due to the new aircraft being put into service by various airlines, and all the senior airline pilots being forced into retirement at 65 that there is a major need for civilian airline pilots. So much so that they are trying to make the new retirement age 70 so they can buy some time. I'm just wondering if this would possibly effect the need for pilots in the military. Since military pilots would be extremely qualified having thousands of flight hours in multiengine aircraft. I don't know if most naval aviators shoot for reaching retirement in the military, or just doing the required amount of time then getting out and searching for civilian jobs. I'm asking this because if that were the case then it'd seem that getting a flight slot in the military would be less competetive. Which would be a real thrill for me hahaha

-Thanks

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The aviation industry has been subject to lots of ups and downs. Right now it looks like there will be steady movement over the next few decades. That, however, doesn't mean anything in real terms. Just ask the guys that were furloughed after 9/11.

Right now there is a shortage of qualified guys willing to work for McDonalds wages, which is causing a regional pilot shortage. There are still thousands of qualified guys fighting for a spot with the majors. I don't think that talent pool is going to dry up any time soon.

There is no way to read the tea leaves and say how many pilot slots there are going to be based on industry trends and retention. The Navy is traditionally very slow when it comes to following ebbs and surges in recruiting pilots. I will say that things do look very good for the long term future, but nobody really knows. If you are interested and are qualified, throw your name in the hat.

Renegade One

None
I've been hearing that due to the new aircraft being put into service by various airlines, and all the senior airline pilots being forced into retirement at 65 that there is a major need for civilian airline pilots.
I believe there is some truth to that in general.

II'm just wondering if this would possibly effect the need for pilots in the military.
I don't see a direct connection. The needs of the service are separate from the needs of the airline industry. Go figure…

Since military pilots would be extremely qualified having thousands of flight hours in multiengine aircraft. I don't know if most naval aviators shoot for reaching retirement in the military, or just doing the required amount of time then getting out and searching for civilian jobs.
Lot of questions here:
Yes: military pilots are extremely qualified. The industry values that.
No: I doubt that "most" join the service with retirement in mind.
No: I doubt that any "just do the mins required". I think it's a life-style until it isn't. After it no longer is, those who have other options go and pursue those. But I doubt that's the "entry mindset" for many.
I'm asking this because if that were the case then it'd seem that getting a flight slot in the military would be less competetive. Which would be a real thrill for me hahaha

-Thanks
Sad fact: It's probably more competitive than ever before. A "buyer's market". Sorry to "kill your thrill". hahaha

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Regionals need pilots, the Legacies not so much. Well, they need pilots but have plenty of applicants. For example, United will hire 600 pilots out of a pilot pool of 12,000 applicants (straight from United's mouth). American, 300-400 with about the same number of apps. I know many military pilots who have been hired but I know more, like myself who have not. I don't count Regional or Major National's in which they pay you such crap low pay. I really don't know if being military means jack anymore anyway. Military flying and 121 flying are two different beasts. Just my .02.

Fallonflyr

pilot
The Regionals need pilots, the Legacies not so much. Well, they need pilots but have plenty of applicants. For example, United will hire 600 pilots out of a pilot pool of 12,000 applicants (straight from United's mouth). American, 300-400 with about the same number of apps. I know many military pilots who have been hired but I know more, like myself who have not. I don't count Regional or Major National's in which they pay you such crap low pay. I really don't know if being military means jack anymore anyway. Military flying and 121 flying are two different beasts. Just my .02.
United, Delta, American my all have 12k applicants but they are all the same guys and gals. Out of those 12k most are currently flying an RJ. Hiring is going to pick up again in the fall and I can assure you that qualified military applicants will be at the front of the line. The companies are already losing money for cancelled flights by their feeders due to pilot shortages. They will leave those pilots at the regionals until they run out of qualified applicants from other sources for their own staffing needs.

Flying is flying, transitioning to 121 for a military trained aviator is easy. It takes about 10% of my ability to complete an average flight as compared to leading a 2v2 or 4v whatever.

Hang in there, your day will come.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
United, Delta, American my all have 12k applicants but they are all the same guys and gals. Out of those 12k most are currently flying an RJ. Hiring is going to pick up again in the fall and I can assure you that qualified military applicants will be at the front of the line. The companies are already losing money for cancelled flights by their feeders due to pilot shortages. They will leave those pilots at the regionals until they run out of qualified applicants from other sources for their own staffing needs.

Flying is flying, transitioning to 121 for a military trained aviator is easy. It takes about 10% of my ability to complete an average flight as compared to leading a 2v2 or 4v whatever.

Hang in there, your day will come.

Brother, I'll believe it when I see it. So far, my flying time in the military hasn't made a dent, granted I'm behind the power curve with only 3,200 hours.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Brother, I'll believe it when I see it. So far, my flying time in the military hasn't made a dent, granted I'm behind the power curve with only 3,200 hours.
And which, again, is "The Show"? ;)
Yea, I don't know who started the "show" thing. I look at the airline gig as the good deal you get after being in "The Show"....kinda like getting paid to sign baseball cards at the mall.

User1993

I believe there is some truth to that in general.

I don't see a direct connection. The needs of the service are separate from the needs of the airline industry. Go figure…

Lot of questions here:
Yes: military pilots are extremely qualified. The industry values that.
No: I doubt that "most" join the service with retirement in mind.
No: I doubt that any "just do the mins required". I think it's a life-style until it isn't. After it no longer is, those who have other options go and pursue those. But I doubt that's the "entry mindset" for many.

Sad fact: It's probably more competitive than ever before. A "buyer's market". Sorry to "kill your thrill". hahaha

That was pretty informative, thanks. Ya, all I hear about is how difficult it is to land yourself a pilot slot now days. Gotta be hot shit to make it happen.

Renegade One

None
That was pretty informative, thanks. Ya, all I hear about is how difficult it is to land yourself a pilot slot now days. Gotta be hot shit to make it happen.
Not true. No one in the competitive pool you would be up against is yet what we would describe as "hot shit". You just need to be competitive and better than most.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
I have no idea where this term, "The Show" came from? Never heard that term uttered once in the cockpit or the crewroom in ten years...EVER. For the potential airline pilot candidate that is a Naval Aviator, "fallonflyer" hit the nail on the head...I really fail to see the appeal of an airline career in the current era, unless you are attracted to the lifestyle, pay, time-off, etc...I have found that the officers that I served with in the Navy that went into the private sector have been far more successful. After he luster wears off the airline job boils down to being akin to standing a midwatch on the quarterdeck of a ship in drydock....mind-numbing. If you are going into the airlines because you enjoy flying, you will be doing precious little of that, and every year the PIC authority is being superseded by FOM policy changes...I consider myself VERY fortunate to have flown in the Navy, and have had an interesting time as a civilian pilot for the last 14 years (airline, flight instructor, 135 cargo, corporate King Air). I wish everyone well in their pursuit of a career with a legacy carrier...Stay away from regionals!!!!

Fallonflyr

pilot
I have no idea where this term, "The Show" came from? Never heard that term uttered once in the cockpit or the crewroom in ten years...EVER. For the potential airline pilot candidate that is a Naval Aviator, "fallonflyer" hit the nail on the head...I really fail to see the appeal of an airline career in the current era, unless you are attracted to the lifestyle, pay, time-off, etc...I have found that the officers that I served with in the Navy that went into the private sector have been far more successful. After he luster wears off the airline job boils down to being akin to standing a midwatch on the quarterdeck of a ship in drydock....mind-numbing. If you are going into the airlines because you enjoy flying, you will be doing precious little of that, and every year the PIC authority is being superseded by FOM policy changes...I consider myself VERY fortunate to have flown in the Navy, and have had an interesting time as a civilian pilot for the last 14 years (airline, flight instructor, 135 cargo, corporate King Air). I wish everyone well in their pursuit of a career with a legacy carrier...Stay away from regionals!!!!
While flying for the majors is not the great deal it was when I started, don't lie to the Airwarriors...it still beats working for a living. There is nothing mind numbing about the job. Flying is what this job is all about, like going on a x-country every week and having no ground job. Doing "precious little" flying is the name of the game, getting paid for the "credit" of flying is what it is all about. Make no mistake, the job has some serious warts. Things like shit heal management, reserve schedules, commuting, all suck. But if making over 200k a year and getting 15-18 days off a month to pursue your leisure sounds bad, stay away.