• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The high demand for civilian pilots

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
While flying for the majors is not the great deal it was when I started, don't lie to the Airwarriors...it still beats working for a living. There is nothing mind numbing about the job. Flying is what this job is all about, like going on a x-country every week and having no ground job. Doing "precious little" flying is the name of the game, getting paid for the "credit" of flying is what it is all about. Make no mistake, the job has some serious warts. Things like shit heal management, reserve schedules, commuting, all suck. But if making over 200k a year and getting 15-18 days off a month to pursue your leisure sounds bad, stay away.

There is much truth in what you say, and it is a VERY easy job once you get through the schoolhouse, and experienced out on the line...It can be a very good career if the timing is right, the company is right, etc...No one can really predict how that all plays out. I have a bit of a different perspective, because for one reason or another my planets didn't align very well and I am working for a regional airline, but live in-base, which is good...I fly an antique by airline standards (DASH-8-100/300), but I DO enjoy flying the DASH. Just this last trip, we had to shoot 2 LOC-DME approaches with a tailwind into a 4400' runway down to minimums...This I DO ENJOY, after all a person of my demeanor likes to fly airplanes...I used to fly something that was very modern, automated and it was...BORING and the pay wasn't very good (concessionary contract, pay scale frozen, work-rules out the window, etc...And, I had a cushy position in the training dept. that went...poof!) Honestly, I feel very fortunate not to be sitting in cubicle hell in some office building for sure...But, I often ask myself if I should have done something different...Then I think to myself I born to an AF family and an AF career officer and pilot, so I dropped out of college, enlisted in the Navy and flew in helicopters as a sensor operator/rescue swimmer and acquired a lifetime of stories to tell that most airline youngsters cannot begin to relate to...
My greatest heroes were always pilots, especially the Naval Aviators that I flew with a young guy that taught me how to behave, how to think and evaluate a situation before going off on some tangent...I flew with some VERY good pilots in the Navy and it has served me well in the cockpit now...Some of the stuff that guys get all worked up over, I don't even bat an eye...After all, I could be in the Persian Gulf on the USS Kitty Hawk sweating my ass off...

Kaman

Yes! 92-93 And 94' last ride of the "WOLFPACK" CVW-15 Captain "Wigs Ludwig, Commanding for first deployment..awesome guy! 99-00' CVW-5 all on the Hawk...SH-60F/HH-60H. Did two LAMPS Mk. I deployments also and a lot of short cruises...good times!

Renegade One

None
Yes! 92-93 And 94' last ride of the "WOLFPACK" CVW-15 Captain "Wigs Ludwig, Commanding for first deployment..awesome guy! 99-00' CVW-5 all on the Hawk...SH-60F/HH-60H. Did two LAMPS Mk. I deployments also and a lot of short cruises...good times!
I see "Wigs" 2-3 times a month here in SD…still a great guy.

Kaman

I flew with "Wigs" a few times, and he always called me by nickname if I'd see him in the passageway near the CAG office on the O-3 close by "Ready 2". I remember Captain Ludwig saying he had the best job in a fleet F-4 outfit as a J.O., schedules officer.