• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

MasterBates

Is the G model that much heavier/draggier than a F coming back with stores?

I thought the SuperBug had metric ass-tons of power?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the G model that much heavier/draggier than a F coming back with stores?

I thought the SuperBug had metric ass-tons of power?

18G has the same engines as the 18F, carrying back multiple ALQ-99 pods. Plus those pods are canted WAY away from centerline = more drag. Makes sense that it might be considered underpowered behind the boat.

GE F414-GE-400 engines: 22,000 pounds of thrust per engine, 44,000 pounds per aircraft

EAG18%20Belly.jpg

431717757_311abf10cd.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Couldn't tell you, haven't flown it. However from what they said, the wave off window was somewhere out in the middle. Now think, Nugget making a play for the deck on a hot Persian Gulf night. :eek:

I'm yet to hear anyone say they found the G tougher than the B. And round here we have kiddies who fly both.

Maybe those guys are just too used to the whiz-bang best ever plane to land on the boat Super Hornet. And that is more a compliment to the Hornet than anything else.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
18G has the same engines as the 18F, carrying back multiple ALQ-99 pods. Plus those pods are canted WAY away from centerline = more drag. Makes sense that it might be considered underpowered behind the boat.\

-ea6bflyr ;)

Cocked up on AoA/speed can't picture the canting of the pods has a big affect. Sure, they're a 1000 lbs out there but I thought the point of the big hornet was to have more bring back?

Suspect up at speed that slab sided chunk cocked away has a big affect.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cocked up on AoA/speed can't picture the canting of the pods has a big affect. Sure, they're a 1000 lbs out there but I thought the point of the big hornet was to have more bring back?

¿Qué? :confused::confused:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Look: if THESE guys could do it ... the EF'in-18 guys can do it all day long ... or if they can't , they should be sellin' shoes @ Penney's ...

whaleballej1.jpg

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Had the same thing in mind. A whale, small deck carrier, at night, no HUD, throttles on the overhead and a yoke...now that was paddles worst nightmare.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Had the same thing in mind. A whale, small deck carrier, at night, no HUD, throttles on the overhead and a yoke...now that was paddles worst nightmare.

Screw the LSO ... what about the PILOT ??? :eek: The CREW ??? :eek::)

My first night CQ was on the TICO in the rollin' & pitchin' San Clemete Channel ... the last thing on my mind was how the LSO was feeling ... just survival !!! :)

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot

If a Super guy could chime in and tell me I'm wrong I won't argue, but I recall being told that the cant angle on the stores actually is better for aerodynamics even at speed because of the way the bow wave and area rule are in effect on the jet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being on the boat when the VX-23 dudes brought it out, and talking to the LSO's that were waving them. Experienced boat dudes too. In the hands of a nugget, the LSO speculation is grim.

Funny, that's not what the guys from 23 put out to the rest of us. That bad gouge was floating around the LSO schoolhouse before the OPEVAL or CQ even got underway - drivel. Configuration wise, it's not going to be any different than a 5-wet Rhino and it adds increased bring back to the entire Rhino fleet.

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I think he meant that those BARN DOORS have little effect at slow speeds, but probably have a big effect at high speed/altitude.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Righto' Look at what's producing drag on speed at proper AoA. It's not a couple ALQ-99's that's the largest drag producer.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Funny, that's not what the guys from 23 put out to the rest of us. That bad gouge was floating around the LSO schoolhouse before the OPEVAL or CQ even got underway - drivel. Configuration wise, it's not going to be any different than a 5-wet Rhino and it adds increased bring back to the entire Rhino fleet.

Brett

Thanks Brett. Read some excerpts of their initial report but didn't want to jump into the fray thinking I had dated gouge (though bad gouge is better than no gouge at all :icon_wink).

As I stated in a previous Growler thread, for all the Growler naysayers, use a little imagination and think out of the box. Do you all really think the same heavy weight ALQ-99 will be used for the next 20 years? Nuff said!

As for the 5 wet configuration, it sucks in any airplane. If a pig like an A-7 can bring it back to a small deck then I'm not too worried about the Rhino/Growler.

Finally, I'm still waiting for Schmuck to give us his determination on whether the Growler will be used as a tanker. (shhh, don't tell him but my money says yes).