• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone have any info as to how we're gonna compensate for having 2 fewer crew members in the aircraft? Pretty much all I could find to answer the questions was "the systems will take care of it".

I can't speak for the ICAP III but the older Prowler Blocks are much bulkier systems to use, resulting in a lot more button punching than would be required in a newer system. Hopefully the mission planning tools will be much better and so the pre-flight preparation will ease some of the burden in flight as well.

When you add the quantum leap in computing power, the better interface that the crew will have with the mission systems and the links.......Well, in plain english it is a new plane with new systems that is a much better design than the current plane. That is how you can do a lot more with a two person crew than what is now done with a four person crew.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I can't speak for the ICAP III but the older Prowler Blocks are much bulkier systems to use, resulting in a lot more button punching than would be required in a newer system. Hopefully the mission planning tools will be much better and so the pre-flight preparation will ease some of the burden in flight as well.

When you add the quantum leap in computing power, the better interface that the crew will have with the mission systems and the links.......Well, in plain english it is a new plane with new systems that is a much better design than the current plane. That is how you can do a lot more with a two person crew than what is now done with a four person crew.

Thanks, Flash. That's good to know stuff, seeing as how I'll soon be punching those buttons...

From previous info that I've gotten about the Growler, I was under the impression that its pretty much the current system (I think ICAP III is what the brief said) slightly modified to fit on the Super Hornet airframe. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but thats the info I received, and I was kinda confused as to how that would translate into a 2 man crew.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks, Flash. That's good to know stuff, seeing as how I'll soon be punching those buttons...

From previous info that I've gotten about the Growler, I was under the impression that its pretty much the current system (I think ICAP III is what the brief said) slightly modified to fit on the Super Hornet airframe. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but thats the info I received, and I was kinda confused as to how that would translate into a 2 man crew.

ICAP III isn't the "current system." It was originally a test bed concept that got expanded into more aircraft because the system was so good and funding was available. As it stands now, the backseat/jamming portion of the "current system" (I.E. ICAP II Block III) can be done by a single capable ECMO. Bottom line, not something to worry about.

Brett

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
I thought 129 already had a Growler (Another thread that I believe the pics came from the ARC Forums)? Or same Growler just already with Puget markings?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
What's the NFO manning future for you guys? Approx same number of Fo's, more airframes? or less fo's? What about command opportunity for you bubbas?
I'm just curious since a VQ hinge bubba and I were drinking heavily (shocker) Friday and he was downright negative on VQ's long-term future. So, what's the prognosis for VAQ?
Tx.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the NFO manning future for you guys? Approx same number of Fo's, more airframes? or less fo's? What about command opportunity for you bubbas?
I'm just curious since a VQ hinge bubba and I were drinking heavily (shocker) Friday and he was downright negative on VQ's long-term future. So, what's the prognosis for VAQ?
Tx.

The future is bright. No significant manning issues are anticipated.

Brett

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WAY Less FO's. Now the current manning is about 18, under Growlers it will be about 9....It's for time for Prowler 'FOs to start looking for a new career. On the other hand, the pilots willl increase from 6 to 9! Who wants to fly the new EA-18G Harm Truck/Super Jammer/FAC-A/Air-to-Air/Super Tanker??

-ea6bflyr

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....On the other hand, the pilots willl increase from 6 to 9! Who wants to fly the new EA-18G Harm Truck/Super Jammer/FAC-A/Air-to-Air/Super Tanker??

-ea6bflyr
If true ... since you don't "roll-in" anymore and the MiGs are few and far between in the GWOT (?) :) ... it sounds like a lot of good flying, hours, and traps to be had for the front seat.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Hozer - you better get some good sunglasses !!!

These days the booze keeps my eyes fairly glazed over, thus protected. I'd like to thinks it's an evolutionary, darwinist aviator thing. Either that or I need to get the number to that "step" program...;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This guy has no clue what he's talking about. That's about all that can be said publicly about the EA aspect of things.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the AF does turn around and buy Gs. The expeditionary squadrons aren't slated to transfer over; they're going to disestablish. Seems to be that'll leave the boys in blue in the lurch unless this magic EB-52 they keep talking about pops up.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This guy has no clue what he's talking about. That's about all that can be said publicly about the EA aspect of things.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the AF does turn around and buy Gs. The expeditionary squadrons aren't slated to transfer over; they're going to disestablish. Seems to be that'll leave the boys in blue in the lurch unless this magic EB-52 they keep talking about pops up.

Don't bet the farm on that one. Why spend AF money on Growlers (along with all the ancillary costs of supporting a new airframe, logistics, RTU requirements, etc), when the Navy (with a considerable USAF budgetary augment) can just buy more and continue to support the exped mission. Win-win. I predict that this will come to pass.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't bet the farm on that one. Why spend AF money on Growlers (along with all the ancillary costs of supporting a new airframe, logistics, RTU requirements, etc), when the Navy (with a considerable USAF budgetary augment) can just buy more and continue to support the exped mission. Win-win. I predict that this will come to pass.

Brett
I've heard rumblings to that effect, but I was just quoting the present "party line" they're telling us new guys. Makes sense. One way or another I'm betting the expeditionary mission won't go away.