• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Pretty much every Prowler guy I ever worked with would have liked to have gone faster than that. I can think of about a dozen reasons to go faster than .86 that make sound tactical sense.

Don't let the blue book scare you if you have to do it. One of the 132 guys scrammed well over .86 during the night Scott Speicher was bagged after having, what is believed to be, a Foxbat go through the formation, all the bits stayed on the jet including the RAT blades.

Other than a case like that .86 always seemed to get the job done. No doubt going fast is fun but didn't find a need tactically. Did fly the 1355 once clean wing though and that WAS fun. You will run out of gas in the main bag and have to slow down to allow the wing transfer to catch up around Glacier peak though.

onedge

pilot
Still not convinced they should name a 21st century electronic warfare aircraft after a crap.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
As opposed to a crude hand gesture?

shocker-2.jpg

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Stress" Overstreet was my roommate in flight school...we had a NFO snake ranch out on Perdido Key...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I personally don't like the "WOLF" logo....it's silly. Not as cool as the "Black Panther."

-ea6bflyr

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I personally don't like the "WOLF" logo....it's silly. Not as cool as the "Black Panther."

-ea6bflyr

That's the first time I've seen that logo. Looks like thay stole it from the Gay Wolves. Besides, I thought the community patron scarry animal was the black panther (or whatever that thing is supposed to be).

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's the first time I've seen that logo. Looks like thay stole it from the Gay Wolves. Besides, I thought the community patron scarry animal was the black panther (or whatever that thing is supposed to be).

Brett
Methinks they thought it up as an attempt to distract from the "scatological connotations" they forgot about when picking the name. Funny how 142 did just change their patch to something almost exactly like it though.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Methinks they thought it up as an attempt to distract from the "scatological connotations" they forgot about when picking the name. Funny how 142 did just change their patch to something almost exactly like it though.

A lot better than the Lassie on PCP patch they had before (and I wore in VAQ-35)

Nose

pilot
The new jet is “a quantum leap in airborne electronic attack capability,” said Capt. Paul Overstreet, program manager for the Growler.

Kind of like the Hornet was a "quantum leap" over the A-6/A-7? Oh, except for the fact that it had shorter legs, wasn't any faster with a load, and had a (significantly) lower bring-back?

Hope I'm wrong, but my faith in the system is waning...

Nose

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Hope I'm wrong, but my faith in the system is waning...

Not to worry .... things must be getting better as this landed @ NUW today ... when it entered the pattern -- fast and @ 1500' ..... I thought it was a freakin' Mitsubishi Jap Zero when it was silhouetted against the sun ... kinda dark, looked like a red "meatball" on the fuselage, the canopy, and the tail profile was "close" .... I thought: is today December 7 .... ????

"AIR RAID, AIR RAID, NUW .... THIS IS NOT A DRILL !!!" :eek:

yaks001qy0.jpg

In fact, it was a Yak-11 flown by a retired Delta pilot .... :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kind of like the Hornet was a "quantum leap" over the A-6/A-7? Oh, except for the fact that it had shorter legs, wasn't any faster with a load, and had a (significantly) lower bring-back?

Hope I'm wrong, but my faith in the system is waning...

Nose

The G is more than a quantum leap over the Prowler in nearly every respect. Believe it.

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Does anyone have any info as to how we're gonna compensate for having 2 fewer crew members in the aircraft? Pretty much all I could find to answer the questions was "the systems will take care of it".