• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The AF puts up with none of this silliness. That's crazy. The whole issue is one of the cultural failures of Naval Aviation. Plus we keep putting a pedestal on the culture and value of Chief Petty Officers. Another weakness. Give flying crew members what they need to accomplish the mission. Period.

The G1 was issued as an "intermediate" flight jacket designed to be worn during "activities involving flight". Where as the AF A2 jacket is prohibited from use during flying. A simple Velcro rectangle for nametag solves issues. It's a great tradition.
Depends on the community. In my first squadron, no new guy, officer and enlisted alike, could wear their leather jacket until they finished MQT.

Also, for some AF silliness, I’ve heard Chiefs debate whether rank was needed on the shoulders of the the green Massif jackets.

So, there is definite uniform silliness in the AF as well.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Depends on the community. In my first squadron, no new guy, officer and enlisted alike, could wear their leather jacket until they finished MQT.

Also, for some AF silliness, I’ve heard Chiefs debate whether rank was needed on the shoulders of the the green Massif jackets.

So, there is definite uniform silliness in the AF as well.
And I have always hated that clear plastic cover the AF puts over their rank on flight jackets!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The AF puts up with none of this silliness. That's crazy. The whole issue is one of the cultural failures of Naval Aviation. Plus we keep putting a pedestal on the culture and value of Chief Petty Officers. Another weakness. Give flying crew members what they need to accomplish the mission. Period.

I think the Navy is a bit better about keeping a lid on Senior NCO silliness compared to some of the other services, to include the USAF that seems to be leaning more towards the Army CSM stupid end of things.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
This is what the current regs read via https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/References/US-Navy-Uniforms/Uniform-Regulations/Chapter-6/6801/

(2) Brown Leather Jacket. Naval aviators, pilots, flight officers, undergraduate pilots, NFOs, and flight surgeons, aerospace experimental psychologists, and aerospace physiologists may wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki and Navy Blue Coveralls. Eligible enlisted air crewmen, E7-E9, are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki and Navy Blue Coveralls. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen E6 and below are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Uniform (SU), and Navy Blue Coveralls. Only direct point to point transit is appropriate when the flight jacket is worn to and from work with working uniforms (excluding Navy Blue Coveralls, which may be worn in immediate working spaces only). Close zipper at least 3/4 of the way when worn. Management and control of leather flight jackets are outlined in OPNAVINST 10126.4 series.

(a) Brown Jacket Insignia/Patches. Insignia/patches will be worn on brown leather flight jackets as follows:

(1) Attachments. Logos may be affixed either hook and pile or directly to the jacket. Hook and pile fasteners will be black or brown and cut to the shape of the logo to be affixed.

(2) Left Breast. Black or brown 2 inches by 4 inches leather name tag. Centered in the top field will be the aircrew designation insignia (i.e., pilot, NFO aircrew EAWS, etc.). The name in block letters will occupy the lower field and will include a minimum first name or initial and last name. The use of name accents is authorized. Where appropriate, billet title (i.e., CO, XO, CAG, etc.) is optional.

(3) Optional Logos. One command patch may be worn over the right breast pocket. Maximum width may not exceed 4-1/2 inches. No other patches are authorized.

As an aside, I personally think the unauthorized Service Dress Aviator is a good look. It still brings a level of formality. Plus, the Ike is allowed for working-level meetings and transit. If the G-1 is allowed for khakis (which can be worn for working-level meetings and transit), then I don't see the issue.

FWIW an English reading of that Regulation doesn't say a name tag shall be worn, just says how it should be worn. "Will be" is an auxiliary verb phrasing and doesn't imply compliance, just manner of compliance.

BT BT

I'm fully vested in Terminal LCDR mode, but I rocked a flag on my leather as an LT and didn't care. I also have the most abnoxious flag patch on my nomex, because I love America.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is what the current regs read

FWIW an English reading of that Regulation doesn't say a name tag shall be worn, just says how it should be worn. "Will be" is an auxiliary verb phrasing and doesn't imply compliance, just manner of compliance.

They definitely changed the wording. Previously it was more precise, and it also stated it could be worn in civilian attire without the name tag.

nipunsharp

Whats the right undershirt with green flight suit..still on Navy blue undershirts or are NWU type 3 undershirts the correct one along with black? The reg says “black or nwu type undershirt ”

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Whats the right undershirt with green flight suit..still on Navy blue undershirts or are NWU type 3 undershirts the correct one along with black? The reg says “black or nwu type undershirt ”
I have seen people wear the brown undershirts and I have worn them myself without anyone fussing over it. I have also seen people wear navy. I personally feel the brown is more technically correct since Type IIIs are the Fleet standard. I feel this reg was possibly written this way to accommodate the transition between Type Is and the Type IIIs and deployments to AORs that saw Type IIIs issued before the Fleet rollout.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I have never seen anyone in the Fleet rocking a brown undershirt with a green flight suit (at least in VFA land). Not saying you can’t, but at best I would expect some sideways glances.

Stick with black and you’ll be fine.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I doubt anyone cares which color you wear as long as it's in good condition and it fits. Massif or Drifire undershirt/,mock turtleneck looks good too in cooler wx. Black looks good too, especially with two piece flight ensemble (non ejection seat only).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Regs now prevent wearing a squadron color? Too bad. I wore green, red and yellow flight deck jerseys or Ts, in the 3 squadrons I was in. Personally, I liked the look. Of course some guys went through the polo shirt phase. THAT, I didn't care for at all and was never sop in any of my squadrons.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@wink that’s not the case. I’ve worn squadron colored t-shirts my entire time in the Navy except for a year or so when everyone was mandated to wear black.

@nipunsharp wear a black t-shirt until you get to the FRS, then expect to wear the squadron colored shirt.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Regs now prevent wearing a squadron color? Too bad. I wore green, red and yellow flight deck jerseys or Ts, in the 3 squadrons I was in. Personally, I liked the look. Of course some guys went through the polo shirt phase. THAT, I didn't care for at all and was never sop in any of my squadrons.
I don’t have the fleet experience like most others here, but this is what I remember…and yes we had guys in the HT’s sporting the polo look.