• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I was at the BMW Motorrad Demo Day on Friday and test drove the 2022 R1250GS - and it was nothing short of love! I love my current G310GS but this is what I aspire to.

The Navy issue DriFire flight suit top makes an excellent warm weather riding jacket - the two ply nomex is abrasion resistent. Ample velcro for the HSC-26 patch given to me by @PEPfromage who stopped by the squadron geedunk for me. Heavy duty Northern Italian Asolo treking boots are perfect for riding as well with the stiff soles and protection/support.

1658155801306.png

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
FYI, Tipsy Gypsy was not doing his full lineup for awhile due to licensing issues. Looks like he’s back in business as of September. Still highly recommended for anything leather patch related.
Can any of you guys who have the Tipsy Gypsy patches post up some of your pictures. Trying to decide on letting color and what not. Thanks!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Shopping for a flight jacket (some EOY funding at work) - can you guys confirm this is the current issue NAVAIR flight jacket?

1664649354522.png

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Thinking of putting in a squadron order for either Dark Horse or Mike’s Arcade jackets. We are CONUS based at the moment and would never find ourselves locally in Korea to do it in person. Anyone have opinions about one over the other?

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Thinking of putting in a squadron order for either Dark Horse or Mike’s Arcade jackets. We are CONUS based at the moment and would never find ourselves locally in Korea to do it in person. Anyone have opinions about one over the other?

Hey man, this is a super late response but I'm very happy with the Dark Horse one. Mike's Arcade has a good reputation as well, I think you're in good shape regardless. But I can personally vouch for the former.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
For the leather nametag for the G-1, is there any difference between black and gold text outside of preference (like you have to be an AC to get the gold, example)? Is one more common to have? I am winging in a few weeks (one flight left), so I am trying to get all the random (but sort of exciting and highly anticipated) admin done regarding nametags and the like. And also, a little off topic, but still along the lines of flight gear: are there any unwritten rules to monogramming your flight helmet bag?

Overall, I'm asking these dumb questions because I don't want to be the guy checking into the FRS committing a bunch of faux pas and walking around with unearned saltiness. I totally understand the flight school king life is short-lived and you're the new guy all over again. I am just excited to be part of the club and not be a pledge anymore.

And for those curious, the student G-1 superstition is alive and well. I have never seen any student wear it in my 2.5 years in the pipeline.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I personally like the black text with name and "U.S. Navy" underneath. Technically I think the jacket requires a nametag to be worn, and you sure believe I wasn't going to put a non-winged nametag on it. But, the only people I know of that have been disciplined for no nametag are the AWOs in my squadron, who are told they are forbidden from wearing the leather jacket until they earn their aircrew wings (stupid, but chiefs will be chiefs). I also have a flag on mine, and our SMTI has a WTI patch on his despite it not being authorized per the regs.

Helmet bags are just "don't look stupid". I've seen squadron custom ones in different colors, plain green no patches, wings and name embroidered, and ones that have an assortment of deployment patches sewn on.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Mini rant for the second half of your post: the way to stand out in flight school/FRS/fleet is not by the way you look, but by your performance. As long as your service uniforms are crisp, flight suit isn't a bag of ass, and you are on time... the other 90% is how you carry yourself. If you show up looking different, it will draw attention, but it will be short lived as long as you know whatever you're supposed to know for where you're supposed to be. You are always authorized to exceed expectations as well. There are shitbags in the fleet and flight school doesn't filter out everyone it should, so please don't feel like its smooth sailing from here and the hard work of earning wings is the peak of your career. You're always a "pledge" or humbled in some regard, whether its being the new JO in the wardroom or presenting a brief to the skipper or commodore for the first time. The challenges don't end, they shift in scope. Congrats on the wings, now get back to the books!

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I personally like the black text with name and "U.S. Navy" underneath. Technically I think the jacket requires a nametag to be worn, and you sure believe I wasn't going to put a non-winged nametag on it. But, the only people I know of that have been disciplined for no nametag are the AWOs in my squadron, who are told they are forbidden from wearing the leather jacket until they earn their aircrew wings (stupid, but chiefs will be chiefs). I also have a flag on mine, and our SMTI has a WTI patch on his despite it not being authorized per the regs.

Helmet bags are just "don't look stupid". I've seen squadron custom ones in different colors, plain green no patches, wings and name embroidered, and ones that have an assortment of deployment patches sewn on.
That's what I think I am going with (for the nametag). For my helmet bag, I was going to get it monogrammed with wings and my name (and a 3 inch velcro for a patch).

Copy all on post two; good advice!