• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Pags

N/A
pilot
@Griz882 wins the contest - I learned a little after researching..

post-65562-0-05062100-1482602973.jpg

These jackets are part of the USN's Multi Climate Protective System -- consisting of a Goretex jacket and trousers; Polartec jacket and vest; Polartec stretch shirt, overalls, and pants; Polartec face mask.
HR 2638 (from September 2008) secures funding of $2.0M for 1, 172 sets of MCPS. The language states the system was developed and introduced in 2004.
MCPS is specifically mentioned in Congressional Record in 2004, 2005, and 2008. I've been unable to locate anything more recent.
So, we have a design 10+ years old and not one single example with a label containing an NSN, official nomenclature, etc. Also, many jackets for sale via military surplus stores or via Propper combined with small numbers seen in actual military use.

No doubt these were issued and used by at least some members of the USN/USMC. Just seems odd that they're so sporadically seen despite being around for a decade.

post-155518-0-87715400-1481896141.jpg

7c44403c4f194775698be79642bd37c4.jpg

Perhaps this post also belongs on "USN Polar Ops" thread...
The jacket in question was part of a whole ensemble that included a fuzzy fleece jacket, a fuzzy fleece vest, and pants. They were $$$ and were therefore hard to come by. My fleet squadron apparently got one box of it once so folks who were there got the Gucci gear. They were eventually replaced by the massif jackets.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Once I found out this is a CWU-106/P it was straightforward to research - its an interesting piece of gear. Very curious. Wondering who in NAVAIR makes decisions on our gear - I want to choke the asshole who dreamed up the HGU-84/P helo helmet and the old dry suit :)
I have this whole setup but really only wear the jacket when it is raining. All of the thermal stuff I wear when it gets really cold outside.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
We got one box of that stuff. The AW chiefs were in charge of distributing it. Oddly enough, no one in the ready room got any of the gear. The CPOs were cozy and warm at their desks, though.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
ABE39595-AD91-4065-BB8E-9EF78809FD52.jpegBest use I got out of the waterproof gear. Det at China lake and made a detour to mammoth for the weekend. Also the only time I wore the cold weather gloves. Can confirm, they’re pretty warm when dexterity is not required.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sir, the term these days is "tacticool".
One of the officers in my unit has a bunch of time supporting NSW, and this came up as a conversation topic this weekend at lunch: How to spot the average SEAL in the wilds of Coronado. Spoiler alert: the stereotypical tacticool operator operating operationally is probably a junior enlisted support guy.

BarryD

Contributor
One of the officers in my unit has a bunch of time supporting NSW, and this came up as a conversation topic this weekend at lunch: How to spot the average SEAL in the wilds of Coronado. Spoiler alert: the stereotypical tacticool operator operating operationally is probably a junior enlisted support guy.
Wearing Gatorz, 5.11 clothing, and going to McP's doesn't automatically make you a team guy? ;)