• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....A retired blackshoe named "Charlie" and his "wife"own ed it. Should you go back and see "Regina" tell her I love her no shit and I'm still working on my fathers yacht to come and get her.....
We all love her, no 'chit, Joe. :D

Was her husband old ... like WW2 old??? And really skinny??? If so, I think I remember him, or maybe it was just another place run by an ol' 7th Fleet ex-pat along the right side of the road to Subic City ...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I honestly don't know why the Navy doesn't have a similar jacket to the Nomex one (something in blue as opposed to green), because the other uniform jackets suck. The Ike is only good when it's above 30 degrees and dry. Raining, forget about it. The long raincoat makes you look like a wannabe Gestapo member, and the bridgecoat is too formal. The green Nomex keeps you warm and dry, so I don't necessarily blame other communities for wanting to wear it. Why doesn't the Navy have a uniform jacket that doesn't suck?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I honestly don't know why the Navy doesn't have a similar jacket to the Nomex one (something in blue as opposed to green), because the other uniform jackets suck. The Ike is only good when it's above 30 degrees and dry. Raining, forget about it. The long raincoat makes you look like a wannabe Gestapo member, and the bridgecoat is too formal. The green Nomex keeps you warm and dry, so I don't necessarily blame other communities for wanting to wear it. Why doesn't the Navy have a uniform jacket that doesn't suck?

It would also be nice if they made a trenchcoat style coat like the Marines have. It's nice to see Marines walking around in their trenchcoats...they look professional. If it's pouring rain, I'd rather get wet then wear the all weather coat (don't even own one).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would also be nice if they made a trenchcoat style coat like the Marines have. It's nice to see Marines walking around in their trenchcoats...they look professional. If it's pouring rain, I'd rather get wet then wear the all weather coat (don't even own one).
Agreed. The All Weather Coat looks like ass. I'm not sure I'd consider the Nomex waterproof, though. Didn't seem to be better than the Ike as far as rain, but I haven't worn an Ike in a long while.

brownshoe

Contributor

No kidding? Even in the 60’s we had a nice double breasted style trench coat for wet weather. I never wore it, but we enlisted were issued the thing. It was navy blue, with the same style buttons that were on the pea coat.

Ah the pea coat what a great jacket! Fully lined heavy wool, fit good, felt nice to wear, and looked great! Big ‘ole flip up collar for those windy days, and really warm during cold weather. Does the navy still issue pea coats?

Today for work I wear a green nylon flight jacket from “Flight Suits” in California. Love it! It’s great! It’s light weight, warm and waist length, so it’s comfortable while driving. Downfalls are; it’s nylon so it generates enough static to power a lamp. And, I’m always asked what that Velcro thing on my left chest is for.

No patches though, even though I’ve earned a few, and own them. I just don’t want to explain to a civilian what they all stand for. I just like the jacket for practical reasons.

Steve

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It would also be nice if they made a trenchcoat style coat like the Marines have.

Yeah, because the 1 time I've worn it outside TBS in the past decade made me realize the utility of it.

Redux

We all love her, no 'chit, Joe. :D

Was her husband old ... like WW2 old??? And really skinny??? If so, I think I remember him, or maybe it was just another place run by an ol' 7th Fleet ex-pat along the right side of the road to Subic City ...

Skinny, dark hair probably a WW2 type. Her, her shit didn't stink and she ruled the roost. :D Oh yeah, the GOOD part about the place was the "hotel" was in the same bldg on the second deck. It was actually on Rizal (I think) on the LH side.

Ever pull SP down in "The Jungle"?

Redux

That was my very first Shore Patrol -- I think it was kinda like an "initiation" for young officers. :)

The ONE place a young white third class did NOT want to get into a fight. You might want to explain what "The Jungle" was to the uninformed since I can't do it with your eloquence. (yes, this is a cop out) :p

phrogpilot73

Here's a bubblehead who always wanted to fly...sorry for the big pic, but he's even got a nametage made up for his "flight jacket".....
I don't know the ins and outs, but I know that PSW has a green flight jacket from her SWO days. Apparently, it's either easier or cheaper to get them then the big blue jackets you see them running around the ship in. My guess is the nametag is so he doesn't look like a douchenozzle with just a strip of velcro...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nomex jackets have the advantage of being available through the supply system, but my boat preferred the Mustang foulie jackets. Lined with kapok - so warm as all hell and would theoretically keep you afloat - reflective strips, all that jazz. And they put the name of your boat on the back for free, so big pimpin', shoe-style.

Depends on the Captain. If he likes the nomex jackets, fair game for all. If he don't, then it's "nice jacket, Maverick."

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Strangest thing is when you see enlisted Marines wearing it over cammies. :confused:

I've seen enlisted guys wearing it over their cammies a handful of times. The people I see it the most from though is Marine O-4s, particularly XO types. I never heard them called "hinge" in the Marine Corps, but it is sure as hell appropriate.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Just while we are on the subject of coats.....get you winter weight nomex coat while you are in training (pre-RAG). It is a nice piece of gear, and I know at least at Whidbey, they won't issue you one. Yet they will issue you one in Meridian....hmm....
It's warm and toasty.