• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullDeflection

I, too, am a first-time poster. Civilian pilot. Thought the Black Raven's new Growler looks pretty cool with DayGlo colors.

1993296.jpg

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Went to visit some family in Frisco yesterday. I completely forgot it was Fleet Week, and the day of the Air Show. Noticed this up in the air by pier 13 while arguing with a parking meter. The SF Air Show is pretty cool, because you can pretty much watch the whole thing from anywhere around the water in the Bay Area.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 86

Pags

N/A
pilot
I like the fact that the Hind actually passes into translational lift with the mains off the deck and the nose wheel on the deck. I can't fathom a reason for doing it other than, it looks pretty cool on the video...
I was thinking about this the other day mainly because I'm a huge dork and all I could figure was that they don't have the high/hot performance they'd need for a hovering t/o. Since they kept doing it, I assume it was standard technique for a Hind running t/o. If you flew high enough to keep the nose gear off the deck you might risk getting out of ground effect. Plus, the nose gear might be a good reference point to let the pilot know when he's doing the running t/o correctly. off the mains: good. off the nose: bad.

I also thought it was interesting that his Dash 2 seemed to spend a lot of time at 6, but I figured that might be for a good shot for the camera and less tactics.

navyao

Went to visit some family in Frisco yesterday. I completely forgot it was Fleet Week, and the day of the Air Show. Noticed this up in the air by pier 13 while arguing with a parking meter. The SF Air Show is pretty cool, because you can pretty much watch the whole thing from anywhere around the water in the Bay Area.

Do all the libs and crazies come out and demonstrate around San Fransicko Bay because of all that pollution caused by our aircraft and ships? Byt the way, please detect my sarcasm regarding our jets and ships creating pollution. I spent sometime at NAS Alameda; yet another command on my long list of commands that disappeared because of the BRAC. Anyway, air show stuff aside, People's Park in Berkley was more of a culture shock than any foreign country I ever visited while I was on active duty and as a SELRES. You just made a flood of memories come back - sorry.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Fleet Week was/is great in SF... when you are on a rooftop in Russian Hill, with every available space packed with folks drinking, BBQ'ing, and watching jets/helos fly overhead, sure seems like folks are fine with the military (not sarcasm... I flew for the CG there, and most people loved us, even at 100' over their heads)~

I lived in San Francisco from '92-'96. In '92 we had a house right at Broadway & Jones over the tunnel that had a topside terrace. As an 8 year old watching the flights from up there was most definitely a life altering event. It seemed like those planes and the Blues especially couldn't have been more than 100' overhead as you mentioned.

As an aside to the moron teacher thread. I went to school here:

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Cathed...t,+San+Francisco,+California&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6

and the teachers would let us go to the roof top playground and watch the practice flights. I guess it was just easier to do that than control a class full of kids who want nothing more than rush to a window to catch a glimpse of a blue jet flash by.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I want pics of more P-3's. Anybody got any that you can't just find through Google Images?
I've got quite a few; I'll try to post them when I get home. I posted a couple in the maintainers thread a while back, but I'll try to find some of P-3s that aren't being repaired.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Might be the best, but he's not very smart....I would never touch that thing without wearing my gloves.
Funny, those things have clearly changed since HAL and my P-3 days (used to be made of metal), but that "new" one has obviously seen better days. Yuk.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.