• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
B-24ALiberator.jpg

The Commemorative Air Force's (CAF) Consolidated B-24A Liberator Ol' 927 flies over the U.S. Air Force Academy's Terrazzo during the noon-meal formation. Ol' 927 made three low passes. (Air Force photo/Mike Kaplan).

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
A pair of Falcons.

Approachingthesoundbarrier.jpg

Approaching the sound barrier
An F-16 Fighting Falcon pilot with the Viper East Demonstration Team from Shaw Air Force Base, S.C., creates a "cone" of condensation Aug. 21, 2010, as he nears Mach 1 during a flyby at an open house at Volk Field Air National Guard Base, Wis. (U.S. Air Force photo/Joe Oliva)

Afalcontakestotheair.jpg

A falcon takes to the air
Air Force Academy Cadet 1st Class Jeremiah Baxter, the cadet-in-charge for the Academy falconry team, pulls the lure Sept. 10, ,2010, as Ace, a black gyr-saker falcon, makes a pass at it. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Bennie J. Davis III)

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Hot Chili 2010 Det photos

A few pictures taken during our recent weapons det out to Yuma. I'll post more when I get the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2433.jpg
    IMG_2433.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2561.jpg
    IMG_2561.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    883.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 111

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Those two seat harriers look like they've got a killer view from the back seat. For such a weird looking bird, the Harrier is still pretty sexy.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Those two seat harriers look like they've got a killer view from the back seat.

Not so much. The front seat/single seat view is MUCH better. Especially on night unaided rendevous and 45 degree roll-ins. Plus the students ejection seat headbox is directly in the way when you're on a 5 degree glideslope (rolling vertical landing).

For such a weird looking bird, the Harrier is still pretty sexy.

To each his own, I suppose, but even Harrier guys think that the "T-bird" is tone of the goofiest looking planes ever.

What really sucks is since there is no built in ladder on the T-bird, if you have to fly it on a CCX solo (rare, but I've done it) you either have to find a ladder from base ops or crawl across the rear canopy to get in the damned thing. Only very tall people can do it with the canopy closed, so that means opening and shutting the rear canopy from the outside while on top of it. Total pain in the ass.

Outstanding. What s the port behind the NFO??

I have no idea what the scoop is for, but the "port" behind the instructor is the APU exhaust.

yak52driver

Contributor
Not so much. The front seat/single seat view is MUCH better. Especially on night unaided rendevous and 45 degree roll-ins. Plus the students ejection seat headbox is directly in the way when you're on a 5 degree glideslope (rolling vertical landing).

Do you have dual controls in the back? I checked out a retired Marine Colonel in a Yak 52 TW this week that had flown F-4s and F-18s during his career. He was telling me the F-4 did not have dual controls in the back when he was an IP.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Do you have dual controls in the back? I checked out a retired Marine Colonel in a Yak 52 TW this week that had flown F-4s and F-18s during his career. He was telling me the F-4 did not have dual controls in the back when he was an IP.

Yes. That's the only reason we have two seaters. There is no gear handle or flap lever, or start switch however. You can blow the gear down from the back, if you have to.

yak52driver

Contributor
Yak, USN/USMC F-4 Phantoms did not have dual controls. USAF F-4s were dual control!
BzB

That's a leap of faith to have a stud up front with no controls in back. I've had them try some interesting ways to kill me that would have succeeded if I didn't have dual controls. But I'm guessing when they get to the point they are flying an F-4 they have demonstrated a level of proficiency that allows that configuration. Thanks all for the answers.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That's a leap of faith to have a stud up front with no controls in back. I've had them try some interesting ways to kill me that would have succeeded if I didn't have dual controls. But I'm guessing when they get to the point they are flying an F-4 they have demonstrated a level of proficiency that allows that configuration. Thanks all for the answers.

They did the same thing with the Tomcat AFAIK. Even with the Hornet, you only have 4 dual'd up flights (and 9 sims) before you get the keys to solo it :)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
They did the same thing with the Tomcat AFAIK. Even with the Hornet, you only have 4 dual'd up flights (and 9 sims) before you get the keys to solo it :)

And there are a few airplanes out there where your first flight is a solo as there are no 2 seat variants out there... (The A-10 for example)

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor

Not all 4 of the dualled up flights require controls in the back. The IAC in the RAG are quite brave.

Status
Not open for further replies.