• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With no 2-seat F-8 trainers, (Did they even have F-8 sims? :confused:) you could always tell an early F-8 FAM flight....
....A 2nd F-8 flew loosely on the FAM student's wing during touch&gos. :D

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yawn...

And there are a few airplanes out there where your first flight is a solo as there are no 2 seat variants out there... (The A-10 for example)

Back in the day, the A-4 Skyhawk was a Fam-1 solo. The A-4A/B hit the fleet in 1957, the first TA-4F/Js (2-seaters), arrived in Replacement/Instrument Training Squadrons in 1963. I wuz thar at the beginning, cough, wheeze, gasp...:sleep_125
BzB, The Elder

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I realize this wasn't a widespread thing, but there were at least a few two seat F-8's. There's a picture and paragraph in the sim building in kingsville about it that says they actually trained a handful of studs with it before killing it.

F8U-1T_6Feb62_first_flight_NAN4-62.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I realize this wasn't a widespread thing, but there were at least a few two seat F-8's. There's a picture and paragraph in the sim building in kingsville about it that says they actually trained a handful of studs with it before killing it.

F8U-1T_6Feb62_first_flight_NAN4-62.jpg

Learn something everyday… I never knew any 2-seat F-8s existed.

Flying the F-8 (which I never did) was not for the faint of heart, and could be very hazardous to your health:

In an article in the August 2000 issue of Flight Journal, Paul Gilcrist points out that "the _accident statistics of the Crusader in the Fleet was atrocious . . .

the Navy bought 1266 Crusaders during those years and at the same time, experienced 1106 major Crusader accidents. In other words, some intrepid aviator or other crashed virtually every Crusader ever built!"
Linky

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Learn something everyday… I never knew any 2-seat F-8s existed....
They had a few of them (2-4?) across the runway @ Vought/NAS DALLAS when we were training the 'Joes as part of the 'package' of F-8's the Filipinos 'purchased' to ensure they had a 'hammer' in the face-off w/ the ChiComs over the Spratleys. Their F-5's didn't have the legs to get there & back ... the thinking was the 'Ensign Eater' did have those 'legs' ... might have ... possibly could have ...

My understanding is the Filipino F-8 pilot had to sit on a phone book to see over the glare shield. I cannot vouch for that, however ... :)

Most of the remaining flyable PAF F-8's got dusted off when Pinatubo blew her lid in 1991 ...

'Joes in Crusaders. Now there's a picture for you ... rumor also was they were equipped w/ chrome hood ornaments, flamboyant colors, colorful lights, and special crochet work in the cockpit ... made for a great show w/ a knife edge pass down the main street of the 'Po ... :)

Flugelman

Contributor
And there are a few airplanes out there where your first flight is a solo as there are no 2 seat variants out there... (The A-10 for example)

Heh... My Dad went from SNJ's after CQ to F8F Bearcat for Fam-1 solo. He said the instructor stood on the wing, recited the important numbers, emphasized the need for right rudder, and hopped off. I'm sure there was a little more prep than that but I just can't imagine making that kind of a leap. His initial jet fam was the same way. JTU-1 at Whiting had F-80 single seaters and only took 4 weeks to transition a newly winged Naval Aviator.

"Where DO they get such men?"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Heh....... the instructor stood on the wing, recited the important numbers, emphasized the need for right rudder, and hopped off...
Kinda' like my first flight/solo/fam/checkride/LSO-Xtrain in the A-7 out of CUBI ... 'cept the 'instructor' (actually their STAN-guy) sat on the canopy bow and pointed out the 'important numbers' ... which included HIM being in a chase plane ...

He emphasized that I should bring the bird back in one piece at the end of the hop ...

There were LOTs of celebratory 'toasts' that night up on the hill ... :)

ryan1234

FALCONLAUNCH.jpg

08/04/2010
FALCON LAUNCH
U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Nicholas Gentile prepares to launch an F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft at Joint Base Balad, Iraq, July 31, 2010. Gentile is a fighter pilot assigned to the 169th Fighter Wing out of McEntire Joint National Guard Base, S.C. U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Caycee Cook

Clearly the best looking fighter in this thread!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Kinda' like my first flight/solo/fam/checkride/LSO-Xtrain in the A-7 out of CUBI ... 'cept the 'instructor' (actually their STAN-guy) sat on the canopy bow and pointed out the 'important numbers' ... which included HIM being in a chase plane ...

He emphasized that I should bring the bird back in one piece at the end of the hop ...

There were LOTs of celebratory 'toasts' that night up on the hill ... :)

Where is this event on the timeline of Naval Aviation safety measures (the inverse fun graph, as I like to call it) that they show me every time I go thru my yearly CRM class?

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Back in the day, the A-4 Skyhawk was a Fam-1 solo. The A-4A/B hit the fleet in 1957, the first TA-4F/Js (2-seaters), arrived in Replacement/Instrument Training Squadrons in 1963. I wuz thar at the beginning, cough, wheeze, gasp...:sleep_125
BzB, The Elder

Aw, Hugh...

"19 May 1966: VA-125 was the first squadron in the Navy to receive the TA-4F Skyhawk."

VA-95 transitioned from A1H to A4C (FAM-1 Solo) while TDY to VA-125 in Sep 1965, after three weeks with VA-127 (Instrument RAG) flying the TF-9J...

FAM-1 Soloed into the A1H in Jul 1962, VT-30 Corpus...first flight was a "Ground Hop"...full power (obviously) takeoff, abort at rotation speed, return to the line...if you didn't kill yourself or others, you were allowed to actually fly it the next day...LOL!!

VA-122 IPs FAM-1 Soloed the A7A beginning in Feb 1967...

No two-seaters back in that day...

BTW...there's a note in the link above re VA-125's skipper being lost a few months after our first FAM hop...I was VA-122 SDO that day. A beautiful Sunday afternoon...he went out to the boat with some FRP's & IP's to "run the deck"...dribbled off the angle...seat fired as the jet went over the angle, trajectory parallel to the surface, no chute. Forgot if it was arresting gear failure, hook failure, or cold cat...but a sad day at Navy Lemoore. :-(

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correction!

Aw, Hugh...

"19 May 1966: VA-125 was the first squadron in the Navy to receive the TA-4F Skyhawk."
Ron, you're correct...a recheck of my logbook shows that it was the new A-4Es that we started receiving in VA-125 in mid-1963. We had (3} 2-seat Cougars (TF-9J) assigned for logistics, X/C, P/C rides & IP Inst. checks.:dunce_125

BTW, the VA-125 CO lost on the boat, was CDR Jack S., had previously been my OPsO in VA-94.
BzB

navyao

"rumor also was they were equipped w/ chrome hood ornaments, flamboyant colors, colorful lights, and special crochet work in the cockpit ... made for a great show w/ a knife edge pass down the main street of the 'Po ..."

Sounds like a "Jeepney-Sader" A4's. Did they come with an in-flight meal of monkey meat on a stick and maybe a cold San Miguel or two?

I think in the Spring or Summer issue of the Hook there was an article about the PIAF and some F-8's they had hidden in a hangar which ended up being used in the movie Thirteen Days with Kevin Costner? Maybe not, I know I read that somewhere...

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
OspreysinItaly.jpg

Download Hi-Res 09/14/2010
OSPREYS IN ITALY
A line of MV-22 Osprey aircraft from Marine Medium Tilt-Rotor Squadron 266 arrives at Naval Air Station Sigonella, Italy, Sept. 10, 2010. The squadron is deployed aboard USS Kearsarge, which is en route to provide relief to flood-stricken regions of Pakistan. U.S. Navy photo by Lt. Cmdr. Dean Sears

Status
Not open for further replies.