• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The guts the tail-gunner must have had when he see's an A6M on their six. :eek:

I don't think that's the time for a gut check. He's pulling the trigger to save his ass. The gut check came when he went in for the program.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HEY!!! GO BLUE ALI'I!!!:D

These are two that "the guy" lets me SIT IT !!! :D
Zoom, zoom, zoom .... ratatatatatatatatata ... !!!
Glad you liked the pix! :D
If these are recent pix, numba' one still needs a little "juice" in the nose strut, I see ... some things never change ... ??? :)

Numba' two is represented in a semi-famous Barber's Point pix that has now disappeared from the internet.
I took the pics in April 08.
It's a crying shame what's happened out there. The only "oasis" left is on the Coastie's side of the field. :(
We stayed at the Barber's Point Beach cottages. The best deal for a place to stay on the beach for cheap!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Lobster

Man flying those must have been tops. I wonder what the time frame on this photo was?
sbd-06.jpg

Really awesome picture, I'm always in awe when I see old WWII era aircraft

FastMover

NFO
None
A couple more interesting A-7 pics.

This is the NAS Cecil Field gate guard after she was taken down in November 2000.

A-7FormerGateguardCecilFieldnov2000.jpg

And an interesting paint scheme on a USAF A-7D.

scan0010-3.jpg

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
While we're on the subject of A-7's: a section from VA-86 somewhere in the Med during the '77-'78 cruise with CVW-8 aboard USS Nimitz.

Attachments

• A-7smed.jpg
    A-7smed.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 116

Lobster

A couple more interesting A-7 pics.

This is the NAS Cecil Field gate guard after she was taken down in November 2000.

A-7FormerGateguardCecilFieldnov2000.jpg

I remember this bird very well, first thing I saw when I had off from school or it was a saturday and dad had a maintainence flight and I was lucky enough to get taken to the base with him and would hang out in the ready room and at lunch would enjoy the burgers for under a buck from mickey d's, pop used to buy a whole bag of them haha :tongue2_1

FastMover

NFO
None
I remember this bird very well, first thing I saw when I had off from school or it was a saturday and dad had a maintainence flight and I was lucky enough to get taken to the base with him and would hang out in the ready room and at lunch would enjoy the burgers for under a buck from mickey d's, pop used to buy a whole bag of them haha :tongue2_1

Roger that, I have many fond memories about NAS Cecil from when I was a kid as well. I remember watching A-7s and F/A-18s taking off while I waited on my Grandma to get out of the commissary.

Wasn't that McDonalds across the road from where the static display airplanes were?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Wasn't that McDonalds across the road from where the static display airplanes were?

The static displays were left after you came in the gate across from housing... The Mc D's was a little further down before the turn to the golf course... Memories... My pops was enlisted in an A-7 SQN back in early 80s.. And I was there for about a year or so in a hoov SQN... I had duty or early sim or something and got to watch them tow the S-3 down 103rd on it's way to NAS JAX...

Lobster

If memory serves me right it was on the left as well (past the static displays as boom stated)..I remember having my face glued to the car window when we drove by the statics at cecil...

Another fun family fact we had a pooch name Cecil B. DeField, named that for the simple fact that we got him as a puppy while stalk was on work-ups and when he came back the family was waiting in the hangar with the dog in hand and the entire squadron had already met the dog. When stalk landed there was no way he could get mad at us hahaha. :D

Wow that picture really just set off the memory train...

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
NAS Cecil...25K+ acres surrounded by farmland and very few houses (in the 90's). Noise complaints were almost non-existent. All Hornet squadrons lived there plus room for the Rhino transitioning Tomcat squadrons. A real (600' pattern) FLCP field (Whitehouse) and a real target range (Pinecastle). Then the Navy (yes, we did it to ourselves) recommended to BRAC that we close the base and move everything to a resort town, Virginia Beach (a place I loved living, but not a good operational decision). Noise complaints, strange FLCP pattern and well Dare Target is what it is. By the way, two of the squadrons forced to move didn't fit in Oceana and live in Beaufort.

"We have met the enemy and it is us"

Sorry, had to vent....feel better now.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
A real (600' pattern) FLCP field (Whitehouse)

Except for the few Knuckleheads that found themselves pointed at JAX INT... Finding whitehouse with just the Carrier Box lit and everybody heading down to Cecil to work the ACLS pattern could be loads of fun...:eek:

Of course I am talking night... Day was easy $$$$

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here are a few more pics I took at Cecil earlier this year when I went to see the B-17 Aluminum Overcast.
First two pics bring back fond memories from flight school CQ; I was in that parking lot looking at that Hornet when I made the call to my folks to say "Look Ma, I'm a qual!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.