• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterBates

E-2 can be dead sticked, but you have to leave one prop unfeathered for HYDs.

I was going to say "I'll see your 3 engine fail to Fx at 105 and raise you a left engine out at rotation at 55k" but you seem to be fresh out of humor today.. :D

Dumb question, why is a 3 engine at T/O so critical in a P3, you still have "more power per pound" trying to get the pig into the air than a 1 engined E2.

Not doubting you that its' nasty, I'm just wondering WHY it's nasty.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was going to say "I'll see your 3 engine fail to Fx at 105 and raise you a left engine out at rotation at 55k" but you seem to be fresh out of humor today.. :D
Not really fresh out of humor, you have a penchant for using the website as a comedic and personal outlet. Hey, that's your style, I have no beef with that. But, you made a silly comment, and I called you on it. Nothing less than any of the TACAIR or Helo bubbas have done in previous posts when on a subject of their expertise.

Dumb question, why is a 3 engine at T/O so critical in a P3, you still have "more power per pound" trying to get the pig into the air than a 1 engined E2.

Not doubting you that its' nasty, I'm just wondering WHY it's nasty.
"More power per pound" is a wide open statement. If I am taking off with less than a ramp load, let's say 16k of fuel for an FCF, then, sure, I have more than enough available shaft horsepower, and more importantly, a higher three engine climb gradient. On the other end of the scale, if I am taking off on a 11 hour tactical flight at max gross weight, then I better be checking my planning numbers to check my decision speed, Vr and most importantly my three engine climb. Heck, maybe you have some low efficiency motors to boot! You factor in hot weather and high altitude airfields and you most definitely do NOT have power available even going to military power.

Just as with any multi-engine aircraft without centerline thrust, the loss of an engine during a takeoff roll, or touch and go situation has quite a few factors for the pilot to consider and correct immediately. Abort or takeoff? Remaining runway? If I abort, is it a prop malfunction that I need to shut down during my abort to eliminate any potential for continued positive thrust? If I rotate, what happened to the engine? Flameout, decouple, prop malfunction or a problem with fuel scheduling? Is the aircraft controllable, a spinning prop that didn't feather can decrease your climb and contrallablility.

Detecting the power loss, in our case, "seeing" the swerve off centerline with an engine failure resulting in an asymmetric power setting. Let's say a power loss on one, resulting in the aircraft wanting to depart the runway to the left. How wide is that runway? Were you on centerline to start with? My main mounts are farther apart than on the E2/C2, so I have less margin before one of those could depart the runway sides. What about winds? The crosswind component could be favorable or unfavorable. How fast are you going, do you have rudder authority? If the loss of power is at low speeds, then you more than likely can easily stop it on the runway using nose wheel steering and the remaining engines.

Depending on the severity of the power loss (low power loss to a complete loss of 3600SHP), a wrong rudder input could result in an immediate departure from the runway. The moment arm distance with a power loss on either our #1 or #4 engine will of course result in the greatest swerve. A hard correction back could result in a blown tire. We train to detecting the swerve, stopping it with rudder inputs (parallelling centerline) and slowly correcting back to a point at the end of the runway while waiting for rotate speed. That is of course assuming that you are above refusal. At training weights, the aircraft can rotate earlier than 115 knots if you are departing the runway. If you are heavier, you aren't going to get airborne until you hit your rotate speed. Additionally, the heavier the aircraft, the more "ponderous" (for want of a better word) it is to correct on the runway. You get enough weight moving in a given direction, it is more difficult to stop. Junior pilots are usually unprepared and over or under control a heavy plane on the take off roll. There is most definitely a different control handling of our plane at low versus high gross weights.

In my specific case during a pilot trainer, or ANY P3 instuctor pilot, you have a non-qualified pilot at the controls, with limited time at the controls, and an upgrading Flight Engineer. We were already off centerline to the left, prompting my student to correct back while we accelerated towards rotate when our power loss hit. The student was already feeding in right rudder when I pushed through his inputs and took the plane airborne. Training, regardless of platform pays huge dividends. There could have been a variety of uglier outcomes to the quite unexpected power loss resulting in a departure from the runway. Hours in the aircraft, FIUT and IUT training are all tools and training that helped me in this small case come prepared to handle it.

John

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, the "dreaded three engine approach" is a ref to an old story about an A-7 guy with hyd problems told he was #2 for landing behind a B-52 with one engine out. "Ah yes," said the guy with the one-hole plane, "the dreaded seven-engine approach."

C'mon, let's hug it out. Some of my best friends are P-3 guys.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
A Raider with some color off Dobbins headed home from a det at KW back in August..

IMG_2883163443NJ301.jpg

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
That second one (w/ the sun setting behind the Boat) sure is some purty helo pr0n. Cover shot if I ever saw one.

yeah...I thought it was pretty awesome too. Last day of a three day ammo cross deck on a carrier. I got a 13 hour VERTREP bag that day.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 24 April 2009

VMFA115F4J76.jpg

More color from the ramp at NAS Cubi Point, RP, summer '76.

VMFA-115 F-4J

markkyle66

Here are a few vmfa-531 F4s to fan the flames... awesome aircraft!

Attachments

• 1979f4vmfa531.jpg
    1979f4vmfa531.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 7980f4vmfa531.jpg
    7980f4vmfa531.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 148
  • fd7980.jpg
    fd7980.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 121

MasterBates

I looked at the F-4 at Oceana's petting zoo jesterday and just now really noticed the exhausts are canted down. What's the reason for that?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Here are a few pictures from my tour on the USS Lexington last week.

F 14

LexingtonTomcat.jpg

F 4

VMFA542F4.jpg

KA3B Skywarrior

Whale.jpg

N3N Yellow Peril

N3NYellowPeril.jpg

GH3 Nightingale

NightigalenGH3.jpg

SBD 3 Dauntless being restored

DouglasSBD3Dauntless.jpg

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
For all the uniforms that should be brought back (AWG, Dress Khaki...),
there are some that should be left alone...

LTJGLeChambers1939.jpg

From the Tailhook Association archives...
LTJG Les Chambers in full dress uniform with sword at NAS San Diego, circa 1938-'39.
Fred Prouty collection
via Fred Prouty Jr.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
I looked at the F-4 at Oceana's petting zoo jesterday and just now really noticed the exhausts are canted down. What's the reason for that?

Hell MB you are the engineer

Us old Econ majors just know that it came that way from the factory and it flys, so lets
Kick the tires
Light the fires
Brief on guard

:D:D:D

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot

To really annoy the pilot flying the ball, just like the Prowler. Add power and go slow, pull power and go fast :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.