• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Here's some pictures from my stopover in NAS Key West. Some jet/AF/P-3 love in here. If you look closely in the second pic you can see all the AF guys staring us down as we taxied by. The F-16s were WI National Guard and the Adversary jets were VFC-111 Sundowners in F-5s.

My neighbor at Vance ("Yort") is now there...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I am blaming it all on XJ220 :D It of course had nothing to do with my first flight as an FRS Instructor :) I guess we will know for sure if XJ220's flight tomorrow will be completed, eh? Good luck, and have a fun flight!

Oh shit, they turned you loose on us already?!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Here is some stuff from training...

Attachments

• Weather.jpg
    Weather.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 131
  • carrier.jpg
    carrier.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN2737_0001.jpg
    DSCN2737_0001.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN2820.JPG
    DSCN2820.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN2906.JPG
    DSCN2906.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 157

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That second one (w/ the sun setting behind the Boat) sure is some purty helo pr0n. Cover shot if I ever saw one.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 23 April 2009

VP9P3B76.jpg

Back in the day....

VP-9 P-3B taxies at NAS Cubi Point, RP, summer 1976, back when P-3s had color and tailcodes.

According to my sources, the aircraft was written off after a belly landing at NAS Barbers Point, 17 May 1983.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
That second one (w/ the sun setting behind the Boat) sure is some purty helo pr0n. Cover shot if I ever saw one.

As a matter of fact, it was in the "hopper" for consideration for a cover of The Hook magazine back in 05/06.

The caption on the USN photo reads:

Atlantic Ocean (Nov. 4, 2005) - An MH-60S Seahawk helicopters, assigned to the "Bay Raiders" of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron Two Eight (HSC-28), airlifts a pallet of ammunition from the flight deck of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) while making its way towards USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) during a vertical weapons offload evolution. Truman and Eisenhower are currently underway in the Atlantic Ocean conducting ammunition offloads and underway replenishments. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Kristopher Wilson

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OH NOES! The dreaded 3 engine landing! :icon_smil
Awesome input from the peanut gallery! Sage commentary from a low fixed wing time tranisition pilot that is trying to figure out how to flare vice "squat" and an NFO, SWEET!!

In my case, no, not a dreaded three engine landing. More difficult than others I have done, with this one having a failed to feather prop rotating and adverse winds. BUT, an engine failure after refusal can get REALLY ugly under other circumstances while not at training weights... Example: At max weight, circle to land with an engine loss after takeoff, 3 engine rate of climb of let's say 200 fpm and unfavorable winds for landing? That would be a dreaded three engine. But hey, that is what SIM training is for.

Losing an engine on the runway is a whole different story. This is the second time over my career it has happened to me (previous one was a turbine failure at max gross weight with tactical crew in Kadena). You can go from centerline to off the runway in an eye blink if you don't stay ahead of the plane with proper rudder and control inputs. (I am sure Bunk can attest to that). You know, that whole pesky multi-engine thing, CRM, asymetric power, Vr, VMCground and VMCair to worry about.

Once again, stick to what you know and have experience with, our aircraft is a lot heavier with a smaller margin for recovery. Maybe come back when you have a bad day in the E2/C2. I took your post in humor, but there are quite a few bubbas out there wanting P3s and in the pipeline here that I shouldn't leave your flippancy go unchallenged to what is an emergency procedure in our aircraft that we train heavily towards handling flawlessly. (smile inserted to show you all I still care about you :))

Oh shit, they turned you loose on us already?!
Yes, I can't wait till our first event together, since mine with XJ was so successful :D

Flugelman

Contributor
VP9P3B76.jpg

Back in the day....

VP-9 P-3B taxies at NAS Cubi Point, RP, summer 1976, back when P-3s had color and tailcodes.

According to my sources, the aircraft was written off after a belly landing at NAS Barbers Point, 17 May 1983.

And after...:(

vp1_01_11oct2000.jpg

I was VP-1 Crew 7A RO '70 - '72. Sad end to a great airplane. VP-6 parked one the same way at Kauai just after I left the squadron in '79.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Awesome input from the peanut gallery! Sage commentary from a low fixed wing time tranisition pilot that is trying to figure out how to flare vice "squat" and an NFO, SWEET!!

In my case, no, not a dreaded three engine landing. More difficult than others I have done, with this one having a failed to feather prop rotating and adverse winds. BUT, an engine failure after refusal can get REALLY ugly under other circumstances while not at training weights... Example: At max weight, circle to land with an engine loss after takeoff, 3 engine rate of climb of let's say 200 fpm and unfavorable winds for landing? That would be a dreaded three engine. But hey, that is what SIM training is for.

Losing an engine on the runway is a whole different story. This is the second time over my career it has happened to me (previous one was a turbine failure at max gross weight with tactical crew in Kadena). You can go from centerline to off the runway in an eye blink if you don't stay ahead of the plane with proper rudder and control inputs. (I am sure Bunk can attest to that). You know, that whole pesky multi-engine thing, CRM, asymetric power, Vr, VMCground and VMCair to worry about.

Once again, stick to what you know and have experience with, our aircraft is a lot heavier with a smaller margin for recovery. Maybe come back when you have a bad day in the E2/C2. I took your post in humor, but there are quite a few bubbas out there wanting P3s and in the pipeline here that I shouldn't leave your flippancy go unchallenged to what is an emergency procedure in our aircraft that we train heavily towards handling flawlessly. (smile inserted to show you all I still care about you :))

Yes, I can't wait till our first event together, since mine with XJ was so successful :D

this will probably be moved to the stupid questions thread, but does the P-3 have counter rotating props, or do you have to worry about all the critical-engine mumbo-jumbo?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

More boring words

No one is concerned with your "facts" or "experience." You still had 75% of your engines. Actually, serious question, is it possible to dead-stick a P-3, assuming everything feathered correctly?

Nice job, and all that, btw.

And "adverse winds" at Boca? How can that be? There's like 15 runways there. How is that they are always using the one not pointing into the wind...? That's always baffled me.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Actually, serious question, is it possible to dead-stick a P-3, assuming everything feathered correctly?
Dead-stick to a runway - not sure. Dead-stick to an ocean ditching - sure thing! VP-47 proved this in 1995.

http://www.vpnavy.com/vp47ditch.html

The 2P on the flight was a LCDR from my Rag class that had just checked in for his DH tour. His personal account over beers was pretty scary. I believe they gave the pilots DFCs. They were well deserved.

Edit: F'ing Zab.....young punk beat me to it......

Status
Not open for further replies.