• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sunday stroll at Fallon

March2009FallonSunday038.jpg

Look who has F/A-18F now!

March2009FallonSunday229.jpg

Ragin' Bull in decent light

March2009FallonSunday046.jpg

E-2 business end

March2009FallonSunday109.jpg

MiG killers enshrinement outside TOPGUN spaces and hangar

March2009FallonSunday322.jpg

40 Years and counting

March2009FallonSunday201.jpg

Business end of Prowler

March2009FallonSunday077.jpg

Checkerboard

March2009FallonSunday058.jpg

The end

March2009FallonSunday010.jpg

HJ Photos

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
BulletBob said:
Funny Thing Here, I never did Like anything that Fly's and has the Ka-Pellar on the Top. These things just Beat the Air into Submission! But, I guess someone has to Support Them.:sleep_125

:confused:

MasterBates

BulletBob said:
MB, if You are Older than the Hornet, You have to be Older than about 30. I was working at McDonnell Douglas when the First F-18 Airframe was Laid out, and I watched the very 1st panels go together, they were the Nose Section and Forward Cockpit of the Very 1st Hornet. That was, (The "Captain" is here) either '78 or early '79.You're just a "Billy Boot" Son! What's a "60 Fleet", MB? Also, You mentioned "AD Pilots", Hell I worked on the AD Skyraiders in the '50's. Guess I'm not Up To this new Military Lingo anymore, THANK GOD!

Yep. Still older than hornets.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
without asking anything about capes/classified nonsense, does the little propeller whirlygig on the end of the Prowlers pylon store create power for the store (slinging trons is the lingo?)

mods feel free to throw in stupid questions thread, or delete if this is inappropriate.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
ah yes it reminds me of as i was selecting out of advanced, i asked E5B something about the "pontoons" yes the "pontoons" on an H-53, and he took quite a while to answer and if i could have seen his face it would of been one of total confusion and stupendous hilarity but i eventually found out they were called "sponsons" i believe (been a while since the FRS) and i did indeed ask my wife to slap me silly for even pondering the idea that they were called "pontoons" (i had no idea what else to call them)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
without asking anything about capes/classified nonsense, does the little propeller whirlygig on the end of the Prowlers pylon store create power for the store (slinging trons is the lingo?)

The proper name is a Ram Air Turbine commonly referred to as a RAT. And yes, those power the pods.

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Well that doesn't look like a turban at all.

How was I supposed to know it was called that, I'm not a high speed jet bub...?!

Checkert

The scientific process goes 'boink'?
I noticed that the C-40's in the pictures as well as other Navy C-9's and Gulfstream's no longer have tailcodes, squadron identifiers, or even United States Navy on them. Is this for security reasons since 9/11?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's so as to not offend local sensibilities when on the road. Some of the VR guys fly into places where we'd rather keep a low profile.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I noticed that the C-40's in the pictures as well as other Navy C-9's and Gulfstream's no longer have tailcodes, squadron identifiers, or even United States Navy on them. Is this for security reasons since 9/11?

It's so as to not offend local sensibilities when on the road. Some of the VR guys fly into places where we'd rather keep a low profile.

These incidents at Shannon Airport, Ireland were probably a big part of that:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1028/kellym.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0308/shannon.html

I believe both aircraft were Navy VR birds (at least one was a C-40).

Status
Not open for further replies.