• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
On that theme, the TA-7/EA-7s of VAQ-34 (West coast EA/EW Adversaries) from back in the day:View attachment 40012
Wow! I’ll have to read some more on this. Was the rear seat modified for an NFO? I imagine that any old NFO who bragged at a bar that he was with an A-7 unit would get laughed at and called a fake.

Thanks for posting.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow! I’ll have to read some more on this. Was the rear seat modified for an NFO? I imagine that any old NFO who bragged at a bar that he was with an A-7 unit would get laughed at and called a fake.

I am not sure to what extent it was 'modified' but they did fly with NFO's, one was an instructor at EW school when I went through. The two 'adversary' VAQ squadrons, VAQ-33 and VAQ-34, had more than a few odd aircraft to include EA-6A's, EA-4F's, ERA-3B's, EP-3J's and even 'E'F/-18A/B's (unofficial designation) among others and all flew with NFO's, except for the EF-18A's of course. VAQ-35 was a short-lived third squadron but they only existed for ~2 years and flew only Prowlers.

Apparently those squadrons were not uncommon as a flying shore tour for VAQ and VQ types, and were one of the few options along with VC's for women to fly tactical aircraft before the combat prohibition was lifted in 1994.

VAQ-33 ERA-3B with a VC squadron A-4.

VAQ-33-002.jpg

VAQ-33 EA-4F and VAQ-34 KA-3B:

EA-4F_VAQ-33_and_KA-3B_VAQ-34_off_San_Diego_1983.jpeg

Last edited:

Llarry

In 1945, 75 late-production Lockheed P-38L Lightnings were modified with APS-4 radar pods under the nose and a space for a (hopefully compact) radar operator was squeezed in behind the pilot to make the P-38M night fighter. The P-38Ms were too late to see combat before V-J day but served briefly in occupied Japan in 1946. The APS-4 pod was the same radar used by any number of Navy/Marine aircraft: F6F-5E, SB2C-4E & -5E, etc. Offhand I'm not aware of any other Army Air Forces aircraft that used this radar.

The projections under the P-38M wings are to accommodate multiple rockets.P-38M.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here’s a fun one. In October, 1962, the XO of VF-96 (Ken Stecker) was assigned a photo op mission while the USS Ranger was heading out of Alameda. The plan was to launch two F-4s from San Francisco Bay - but a slight delay caused the shooter to launch the late, as the carrier approached the Golden Gate Bridge. At launch Stecker thought going under the bridge would be the safe option. The cameraman in an SH-3 got the image!

IMG_1747.jpeg

The second bird went off just after the Ranger passed under the bridge.

IMG_1748.jpeg

Just to keep the shenanigans going, the Ranger later launched a lightly loaded F-4 from pier side in Yokosuka!

IMG_1749.png

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here’s a fun one. In October, 1962, the XO of VF-96 (Ken Stecker) was assigned a photo op mission while the USS Ranger was heading out of Alameda. The plan was to launch two F-4s from San Francisco Bay - but a slight delay caused the shooter to launch the late, as the carrier approached the Golden Gate Bridge. At launch Stecker thought going under the bridge would be the safe option. The cameraman in an SH-3 got the image!

The second bird went off just after the Ranger passed under the bridge.

View attachment 40054

Just to keep the shenanigans going, the Ranger later launched a lightly loaded F-4 from pier side in Yokosuka!

What's the impact from, they drop their tanks?