• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

Llarry

Take one Douglas A-1J Skyraider (circa 1956 or so), throw away the big honkin' R-3350 radial, throw away the wings, throw away the fuselage, throw away the landing gear, etc., etc.. Add gas turbine power, new wings, new fuselage, new landing gear, new avionics and presto -- you've got an OA-1K Sky Warden "armed overwatch" aircraft. What the devil was the aircraft designations office smoking the day they came up with that designation? What was wrong with A-14 or whatever was next in the A for attack category? A-1J VA-145 1966.jpgOA-1K prototype.jpgMaybe the next Navy fighter should be the F4U-8...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 38895Maybe the next Navy fighter should be the F4U-8...

Looks a little more butch in the production configuration, anyway. 1695735013500.png

But yeah, it is an odd choice for the T/M/S designation. Apparently AFSOC did decide to continue the A-1 series - the last USAF Spad was the A-1J - despite them not being in any way related and only bearing a superficial resemblance. I'm all for heritage but the designations are supposed to be an accurate description. Could've called it the OA-30A Skyraider II or something.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The concern is this mission was crafter around "The Last War". I'll be curious if the buy goes to the full 75+ airframes.

In the same light, different mission, AFSOC went in on the C-145 Combat Coyote. A fixed gear trim turboprop built in Poland. Here I am with two examples on the ramp at Prattville, AL last week:

PXL_20230919_165153317.jpgPXL_20230919_165211870.jpg

Notanaviator

Contributor
The concern is this mission was crafter around "The Last War". I'll be curious if the buy goes to the full 75+ airframes.
Valid question, but there's also something to be said that in the next, presumably higher intensity, broader bounds conflict, there will be different sorts of theaters, with different levels of permissive environment, etc... and there will also be a need, frankly, to throw anything we can at the problem, across a range of platforms. Currently reading Freedom's Forge about the business and supply chain side of ramping up WWII industry - really a great read for a number of reasons, but certainly sobering if you compare and contrast the American economy - particularly the dependence on a truly global supply chain, not just with things like chips but raw material inputs. With that piece of reading, and I understand this is a touch of a departure from the thread topic, I really am thinking more that the next conflict is going to be a function of 'what can we field,' and not 'what is the perfect platform.'