• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What a fucking nightmare of a jet to fly single pilot - analog, no flight-director/AP - where is the HSI? ILS? There looks to be some sort of RNAV - but how was the course/waypoints presented? Death trap!
What do you expect from an 1950's aircraft? A-3 was designed in 1952 by the same guy that created the SBD Dauntless, A-1, A-4, and others (Ed Heinemann).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
My old man found a couple old photos from his time as Shooter/Handler on the Midway back in the late Eighties.
Was impressed that Midway could handle a Whale in the first place, but had never seen one with the funky looking canoe. I assume it's a VQ det EA-3B based on the windows, but didn't know they hung stuff on the belly. Would this be some early ESM doodads? Or is it like the screamer fan on a Hawkeye and helps cool the avionics? Any ideas?

View attachment 37750
Different angle…lots of respect!

8DA49751-A790-424A-AB2A-711F9FB8E414.jpeg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
where is the HSI? ILS? There looks to be some sort of RNAV - but how was the course/waypoints presented?

It looks like it has a RMI, which would present the information. I'm guessing the RNAV you're seeing is the INS, which would be sent to the RMI. It does appear to have ILS, since one of the NAV freqs is tuned to an ILS freq. You can see the glideslope indicator to the right of the altimeter, which also appears to have a CDI.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It looks like it has a RMI, which would present the formation. I'm guessing the RNAV you're seeing is the INS, which would be sent to the RMI. It does appear to have ILS, since one of the NAV freqs is tuned to an ILS freq. You can see the glideslope indicator to the right of the altimeter, which also appears to have a CDI.
Still.. scan from hell :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Still.. scan from hell :)

Agreed!

Gotta love the ancient ass Grimes-light we're still using today. Navy anachronisms make me happy.

My 2012-ish helicopter at work has a German version of a grimes light, except it has an LED bulb. And yup, it still randomly turns on, presumably from vibration, just like the Navy ones.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If this is the mishap you are talking about I flew with some guys who knew the sole survivor, his survival story was wild.
Yup, that's it. Was briefing for the next event when CAG ( first VS CAG) came into the Ready Room and told us the entire launch was SSC for the missing whale, to standby for the airwing brief, and he was taking one of our two ship. My crew found him first, homing on his beacon. CAG came along anchored overhead and talked to the kid a long while, keeping him calm and distracted. We went on looking for the rest of the crew, no joy. The Sky Pig lived up to it's reputation by managing to drop an entire survival raft package over half a mile down wind of the kid.

The SH-3 launched with a doc on board and the ship rattled and shook as they made top speed closing the gap on the rescue datum.

All the time PO2 Huff was talking to CAG, and the doc later, he maintained he did not know what had happened. Later, after his medicinal whiskey, he said everyone in the tube was out of seats for "astronaut guals" . The aircraft came apart. He was in his seat with the chute lanyard attached so he fell out with a static line opening. Almost killed, getting bashed by waves, sea sick in his raft, cold and he was protecting his crew by being coy with CAG.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the time PO2 Huff was talking to CAG, and the doc later, he maintained he did not know what had happened. Later, after his medicinal whiskey, he said everyone in the tube was out of seats for "astronaut guals" . The aircraft came apart. He was in his seat with the chute lanyard attached so he fell out with a static line opening. Almost killed, getting bashed by waves, sea sick in his raft, cold and he was protecting his crew by being coy with CAG.

Yeah, that was the gist of story I was told by several.