• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

CallumJohn

I thought I'd never get bored of the amount of airtraffic over my house, but the NSW police helicopter circling my neighbourhood all night is getting old.
IMG_4243.JPG

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought I'd never get bored of the amount of airtraffic over my house, but the NSW police helicopter circling my neighbourhood all night is getting old.
View attachment 36869
We used to tell folks that when a law enforcement helo is circling your house, it is time to lock the doors and stay aware. Couldn't believe people would call 911 to report a police helicopter circling their house. We knew we are there.

CallumJohn

We used to tell folks that when a law enforcement helo is circling your house, it is time to lock the doors and stay aware. Couldn't believe people would call 911 to report a police helicopter circling their house. We knew we are there.
Haha yeah, the police have been looking out for a group of neo-nazi teens that like to break into peoples cars. Not too afraid because I have the driveway rigged with plastic explosives :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Unfortunately I am near a common route for helos to take (near a north-south state road) to include MEDEVAC, military and police who happen to have their base about 2 miles north of me. One of them circling overhead isn't common but also not unusual. I love it, the wife...not so much.

Helo 'IFR' is a pretty common in DC, I see all kinds flying the Beltway and I-95 pretty often.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
… in DC, I see all kinds flying the Beltway and I-95 pretty often.
The best helo viewing spot in DC is near the Woodrow Wilson bridge. Helos crossing either over the bridge (heading east or west) or along the the bridge (heading north or south) have to drop below 300 feet. I have been driving over the Woody only to see an AF Huey pop up from below me to climb “up” to Andrews. Pretty darn cool.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The best helo viewing spot in DC is near the Woodrow Wilson bridge. Helos crossing either over the bridge (heading east or west) or along the the bridge (heading north or south) have to drop below 300 feet. I have been driving over the Woody only to see an AF Huey pop up from below me to climb “up” to Andrews. Pretty darn cool.
I remember this fondly doing the Norfolk, Andrews, Pentagon Heliport run in the '46!!!

jmcquate

Contributor
2 or 3 times a week I see multiple Army 60s flying low in trail, often with drop tanks along 395. I work across the street from Davison AAF and on a nice day you see all kinds of Helos.

CallumJohn

2 or 3 times a week I see multiple Army 60s flying low in trail, often with drop tanks along 395. I work across the street from Davison AAF and on a nice day you see all kinds of Helos.
I almost constantly have rescue helicopters and private helicopters crossing over, because I live on the border of an isolated reigon, but its also very wealthy, it gets really annoying after a few years lol

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

The last time a police helicopter was circling above my house, someone was found dead in the sewer nearby. Apparently they jumped into a storm drain to retrieve a dropped set of car keys and got pinned by the current. Very sad outcome.

My current home is very near a hospital and within 5 miles of FOUR airports (including where I work), so we get everything from C-172s to ambulance helos to four-engine tankers overhead at all hours. I don't mind a bit. :D

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
My old man found a couple old photos from his time as Shooter/Handler on the Midway back in the late Eighties.
Was impressed that Midway could handle a Whale in the first place, but had never seen one with the funky looking canoe. I assume it's a VQ det EA-3B based on the windows, but didn't know they hung stuff on the belly. Would this be some early ESM doodads? Or is it like the screamer fan on a Hawkeye and helps cool the avionics? Any ideas?

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My old man found a couple old photos from his time as Shooter/Handler on the Midway back in the late Eighties.
Was impressed that Midway could handle a Whale in the first place, but had never seen one with the funky looking canoe. I assume it's a VQ det EA-3B based on the windows, but didn't know they hung stuff on the belly. Would this be some early ESM doodads? Or is it like the screamer fan on a Hawkeye and helps cool the avionics? Any ideas?

View attachment 37750

You got it right, it is an EA-3B I think from VQ-1 (images on Google ID 010 as a VQ-1 bird). The canoe housed antennas for the mission, some of the basic designs haven't changed much and canoes are still used though what they hold/protect can be very different.

A-3's also deployed on the older Essex-class carriers, though apparently it was a tight squeeze.