• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
During my time on Active Duty, these 4 ships represented one-fourth of the carrier force (16 ships in commission). Nowadays, 4 carriers would be almost HALF (only 10 carriers currently in commission or not "inactive").
Sad. Mostly Cold War relics, I suppose.

I remember a day toward the end of Vietnam we had six carriers in the narrow Gulf of Tonkin. One arriving, one departing, and the other four conducting strike ops against North Vietnam.

Given the already restricted space of the Gulf, then decreasing it by increasing buffer zones from both China and the North, it was like playing bathtub-bumper-boats for the carrier’s captains… including IFR launches into another carriers Case III recovery, etc.!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
....it was like playing bathtub-bumper-boats for the carrier’s captains… including IFR launches into another carriers Case III recovery, etc.!
And how 'bout your poor C-1A COD Crews in delta at 150kts., with zillions of pointy-nosed jets from various CVAs, flashing by in every o'clock sector, same altitude?:eek:
BzB

exNavyOffRec

During my time on Active Duty, these 4 ships represented one-fourth of the carrier force (16 ships in commission). Nowadays, 4 carriers would be almost HALF (only 10 carriers currently in commission or not "inactive").

I remember those days, I also remember when North Island would be full and we had to anchor out and then helo off all the airwing.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Given the already restricted space of the Gulf, then decreasing it by increasing buffer zones from both China and the North, it was like playing bathtub-bumper-boats for the carrier’s captains… including IFR launches into another carriers Case III recovery, etc.!

Saw the same thing during ODS in the Gulf. TR, Midway, Ranger and America all milling around in a pretty small space and mixing it up in marshal. I think I'm glad we didn't have goggles. Seeing all the lights was bad enough. :eek:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was going through some of my old shots~ The gentleman in the nose was a bombardier in WWII. His family was there, and said this was his first time back in the plane since the war... I think it was his birthday gift. They asked if I would take some photos, and I gladly obliged.

3697577851_35193f8498_b.jpg
B-17E "Sentimental Journey", flown on the airshow circuit by the Arizona Wing of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), out of Falcon Field, Mesa, AZ.:)
BzB

Malo83

Keep the Faith
DESERT STORM 1991, 4 Carrier Battle Groups operated in the Persian Gulf, USS Ranger, USS Midway, USS America and the USS Roosevelt, I was lucky to be a part of this with CVW2 on the Ranger :cool:
Four%20Carrier%20Battle%20Group%20in%20Persian%20Gulf%201991.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.