• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBayDog

While the ship Capt talked about "Hollywood showers" vs "Navy showers," the Army CO on my IA talked about "combat showers..." same thing, different dialect of military English :D

The Marine dialect:

0003600031886_500X500.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^ BTDT too, which reminds me of another related thing- I never understood why some folks have so much difficulty operating the zip-loc on wag bags.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahhhh, I remember the Captain talking on the 1MC about the exact same thing. Probably happens on every ship on every deployment; it's just a question of "when."

PTT showers are, I believe, pretty much gone, at least on the small boys. Now it's a random shower head that someone went and bought at Tru Value that has some level of leakiness when the water is on. Naturally the leaky water is either ice cold or scalding hot.

The Ops O on my last deployment was one blunt instrument. To give you an idea, he emailed me on the ship's LAN telling me he really needed pictures of an evolution we were doing that day by 1600. I was 100 miles away in the aircraft all day doing the actual evolution until sunset (per the flight schedule he signed). Not the greatest SA.

He would wander into the head and start telling someone they were taking a Hollywood when he needed a shower. He would then go in there for 20 minutes of continuous, water-on showering. Fortunately the ROs were working that deployment. I think that and the engines were the only things that actually worked on that ship.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
3A74D32F-8C41-4801-B6F4-71C637886509-1430-000001493D2237C4.jpg

333A9C8E-1115-40A6-B281-F9B609AFF3C4-1430-000001493EDABC6C.jpg

7F0D0356-B386-4913-A086-C09A68B3AC0F-1430-00000149404EB64B.jpg

403F5AD1-582C-4756-BE11-338BDF244F40-1430-000001494337D75C.jpg

00A211A0-7118-4B45-967D-5D3657AA779A-1430-0000014945B85916.jpg

KNUQ Base Ops. Sorry about the quality, I was working with an iPhone and limited light. Definitely some classic squadron logos on there.

exNavyOffRec

Washing Cutlass 471 somewhere in the Black Sea in the Spring 92'.
Water hours on the boat. Turco stings a little on the skin but it sure as shit gets you clean.
I know, Safety Violators...yeah, yeah...

I came close to having water hours on a CVN, 2 distilling units down in the Persian Gulf, it had been put out to conserve and no washing aircraft, of course the fun part during that time was the Reactor Officer (a Captain) showing the CAG (I believe) some sailors washing aircraft after just being assured none were being washed, turns out some SCPO told his guys to wash the aircraft and get it done after being told not to, I can't imagine that SCPO was on the receiving end of a good converstion after this.

delta215

Over Bremerton today, from the top:

CV-61 - USS Ranger (Forrestal class)
CV-64 - USS Constellation (Kitty Hawk class)
CV-63 - USS Kitty Hawk (Kitty Hawk class)
CV-62 - USS Independence (Forrestal class)

8617393483_dbc54e353f_b.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I like that we leave more (almost) supercarriers just laying around than the rest of the world has...combined.

delta215

I like that we leave more (almost) supercarriers just laying around than the rest of the world has...combined.

Ranger has the only shot at surviving I think. There was a contract awarded a while back, iirc, to a company to scrap the Forrestal class ships, maybe the CV-63/67 class also.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Arrrrggh, sad to see the tomb of my two favorite carriers. Made the '60 and '66 adventures on RANGER *Gray Eagle*, and the '62 'RTH and '67 deployment on CONSTELLATION *War Chief*. Both great warships!:)
CVA-61.jpgCVA-64.jpg
BzB

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I'm interested in the $ as to why no municipality has jumped on the chance to turn a supercarrier into a museum/restaurant/attraction.
It would take one hell of a business coalition, but it seems to have worked out for Intrepid, Yorktown, and Midway. Midway has an especially nice setup. Supers must just be an order of magnitude more $ to maintain.
Damn shame.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Cool~

If you get a chance, fish around in some of the hangers on that side... a lot more than odd, classic patches at that field.

We definitely took a look around that side of the base. Unfortunately, it was after working hours on a weekend, so not too many people around. Hangar One looks like a skeleton since they have removed everything but the support structure. Didn't make it over to the other two hangars, but met the dude who is doing restoration in hangar two and he gave us the lowdown on what is going on around the base these days (not a whole lot).
I would venture to guess that the future of that airfield lies in public/private venture with some reallocation of the super valuable land they they have there and more relationships like they currently have with Google (Google has their fleet of aircraft there in exchange for allowing NASA experiments to be housed on them).
The P-3 is still outside of base ops, it is in decent shape. It could use a makeover, but then again it is in better looking shape than most of the P-3s that the navy is currently flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.