• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
8145434855_25a6d3e331_z.jpg

Renegade One

None
gills (maybe one of you old SELRES VFC gents can edumacate me on what those are for).
By "gills' do you mean the splitter vanes inboard of the intakes? Not an old VFC gent, but I assume same-same as on the F-4...get "clean" (e.g., non-boundary layer air) down the intakes.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
By "gills' do you mean the splitter vanes inboard of the intakes? Not an old VFC gent, but I assume same-same as on the F-4...get "clean" (e.g., non-boundary layer air) down the intakes.

I was referring to the column of horizontal slats just forward of the "Navy" side insignia that you can see in that second -111 bird in the above pics. Not sure if this is what you are referring to here, but I'm guessing you mean something more akin to the splitters on my steed, with all the little holes to break up the boundary air.

Phantom309

@MIDNJAC I'm not sure either I'll ask a guy I work with, he used to crew the AF F-5's. My educated guess just from my time working airplanes would one of three things.

1) allow air in, because I noticed they are open and he's on approach with gear down, and at the lower airspeed it could allow more air to get to the engine(s)
2) get the heat out, the F-5 may have had a bleed air issue in that configuration of flight, and they designed that to allow heat escape (just a guess)
3) it's looks really cool, and the engineer had an extra actuator he needed to get in the engine bay, and said "hey lets put gills here because it'll go with the shark mouth" :)

I'll find out for sure for you though

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah those would be my guesses too, granted I have probably significantly less experience with different aircraft than yourself (especially of this vintage, even if the Hornet was a distant relative of the F-5)

Phantom309

All I've ever worked on was the F-15 and the F-4, and a couple of jobs on the F-16. One old dog we have though started out on the B-66 and he mentioned he worked on the F-5 at one time in his career. I just don't know if the AF model had that on it or not. I know there were some difference between the Navy F-4's and the AF F-4's but they were minor for the most part. This one has me intrigued though

jmcquate

Contributor
@MIDNJAC I'm not sure either I'll ask a guy I work with, he used to crew the AF F-5's. My educated guess just from my time working airplanes would one of three things.

1) allow air in, because I noticed they are open and he's on approach with gear down, and at the lower airspeed it could allow more air to get to the engine(s)
2) get the heat out, the F-5 may have had a bleed air issue in that configuration of flight, and they designed that to allow heat escape (just a guess)
3) it's looks really cool, and the engineer had an extra actuator he needed to get in the engine bay, and said "hey lets put gills here because it'll go with the shark mouth" :)

I'll find out for sure for you though
Pretty sure it's #2.

Phantom309

that would be my guess too, I can't see it as being #1 because it would only be hitting the side of the engine not really cooling anything. #2 seems most likely because it would allow heat to escape. The F-4E had a mod done to it where it purge heat when the gun was fired via a little door that would open.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Pretty sure it's #2.

From my humble line guy experience, on both the F-5 and T-38 there is high pressure air coming out of those after engine start. The T-38 doesn't have the "louvers" of the F-5 but there is a "vent" on the T-38 in the same place. Since both of them need a huffer for engine start, and the air connection is on the bottom of the fuselage near the "louvers," I learned to duck when going near those with the engine running. Interestingly - the AF T-38s require a "switch" that is inside the panel with the air connection be moved to direct air to the #2 engine to enable start. The NASA T-38s that I've worked have the capability to do that from the cockpit, and the F-5s usually do a cross bleed start while taxiing.

Phantom309

I did some research and this is what I was able to find. It turns out that it looks like it was #1 from what I've read there was a variant of the F-5 that had a bigger engine the site I read it on mentioned the F-5E specifically.

"The use of the new Dash 21 engine also required the installation of CF-5/NF-5-type louvre doors in the rear fuselage to prevent compressor starvation at low forward speeds."

The louvre doors allow more air to get to the compressor to prevent a compressor stall from occuring.

here's the link

http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=17171

FastMover

NFO
None
A few from the Naval Aviation Museum's Facebook page:

Beached Whales- KA-3B Skywarriors of Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron (VAQ) 308 pictured at Naval Air Station (NAS) Fallon, Nevada, on October 12, 1977

253148_10152184128670174_1415916483_n.jpg

Aircraft of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1 in flight during squadron work-ups at Naval Air Station (NAS) Fallon, Nevada on October 24, 1983

30937_10152214327560174_684958081_n.jpg

FastMover

NFO
None
579505_10152202767015174_203882470_n.jpg

An FH-1 Phantom of Fighter Squadron (VF) 171 pictured on approach for recovery on board the aircraft carrier Philippine Sea (CV 47) during carrier qualifications in 1948

403216_10152132257195174_1855244166_n.jpg

The original caption for this image taken on September 21, 1964, forty-eight years ago today, reads "The last two Fleet Demons were "piped over the side" in a colorful ceremony at the U. S. Naval Air Station, Miramar, CA, which at the same time, welcomed aboard the first F-4B to be delivered to the squadron. CDR W. J. Welty, Commanding Officer of Fighter Squadron 161, and LCDR L. D. Baldridge, Jr., squadron Executive Officer, taxied the last two McDonnell fighters past the assembled men of the squadron, who rendered honors to the Demons as they prepared for their last flight

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
A few from the Naval Aviation Museum's Facebook page:

Beached Whales- KA-3B Skywarriors of Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron (VAQ) 308 pictured at Naval Air Station (NAS) Fallon, Nevada, on October 12, 1977

253148_10152184128670174_1415916483_n.jpg

I was able to crawl up inside the A-3 when it was in our hanger being restored in Whidbey. I was surprised how small (and uncomfortable) the cockpit was for such a big aircraft. I literally wouldn't have been able to fly it (I'm only 6 ft).

Status
Not open for further replies.